Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

lacosta

Sep 17, 2013, 3:44 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3492 views)

Shortcut

Permanent resident - Temporary travel

Can't Post | Private Reply
 Having left Mexico in Feb. with a "Safe return permit" to Nogales without my damaged trailer in tow, I was directed by Aduana to proceed to the vehicle import area to pay and do what was needed to legally import the trailer right then to get it off my truck's TIP. Middle of the night and after no chance of finding such a place - back to Canada I went. I have been in contact with Oscar the broker who assures me we can get the trailer off my truck's TIP. My question is, can I clear the trailer off the truck and then clear the truck, re-permit the truck for two months with a boat in-tow and leave the boat in Mexico like old times? Will I be permitted to drive this GM truck temporarily in Mexico with my Permanent Resident status? Thanks

bournemouth

Sep 17, 2013, 4:34 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lacosta] Permanent resident - Temporary travel

Sadly you cannot have a foreign plated vehicle with Residente Permante. Can Oscar import your truck for you?

lacosta

Sep 18, 2013, 7:30 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3426 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Permanent resident - Temporary travel

Well that's not good. I only need to deliver the boat into Mexico and out again. Not do-able ? How about transfer truck to a friend going with and go that way ?

RickS

Sep 18, 2013, 9:32 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3412 views)

Shortcut

Well you've got several issues working. You still have the trailer that must be accounted for (being taken out of Mexico). If you get over that hurdle, then yes, if you want to transfer the title to your friend and then let the friend do a temporary import of the truck along with a tourist card that's fine. There would have to be enough time for your friend to get at least the truck Registration in his/her hands, if not the title.

But you are seemingly wanting to "deliver" (temporarily import?) a boat/trailer into Mexico and leave it. Sounds like you might be working yourself into a similar situation but maybe I don't know all the facts.

lacosta

Sep 18, 2013, 10:07 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Permanent resident - Temporary travel

I guess the last hurdle is the boat and trailer. Is it eligible for ten year permit now that I have permanent resident card ? Oscar says he doesn't know but we can try ?? Thanks for the insight.

RickS

Sep 18, 2013, 10:28 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3400 views)

Shortcut

I'm not aware that a boat is eligible under the 10-year RV permit...... and if it is, I'm not aware whether or not a Permanent resident can import one anyway.

Moisheh

Sep 22, 2013, 6:14 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Permanent resident - Temporary travel

Multiple Problems: A boat or an RV cannot be under a 10 year permit with a Permanent Resident card. Getting your permit canceled after the trailer has left the country might be big problem. Normally when a TIP is canceled it must be present at the border. There is a method to get that permit canceled but it is a long and difficult process. I had an RV that I sold in the USA but had not canceled my 10 year permit. Took me over 6 moths and multiple DHL charges ( about $150) to have this done. Maybe your "Oscar" can shortcut the process.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4