Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Aug 16, 2013, 7:24 AM

Post #401 of 443 (18690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Further updates on Current INM local office news:
The most recent SMA INM office reports say 10-12 days between applying for Residente Permanente and fingerprinting, no financials needed, then 2-3 weeks to get the cards back from Df - which makes SMA similar to Merida, PV, et al.

Re Why Big City offices are slower and more inefficient when providing the same services:
These 4 INM offices are all reasonably busy, relative to the numbers of INM staff - where one expects 2-4 hour waits to meet with an INM agent. Since the DF offices are the same as ours: only open between 9:00 - 1:00 (Distrito Federal - Instituto Nacional de Migración ), it is hard to imagine more than 4 hour waits at DF - because DF INM offices have the same office hours as the rest of us.

Again, government operations in DF , like almost all big cities around the world, are likely far slower than their mid-sized city country cousins in completing the same tasks, simply due to cultural issues. In bigger bureaucracies, the individual workers almost universally take less personal responsibility and less ownership, and the bigger bureacracies (that are an inherent part of big big cities) are inherently and historically less efficient and more-political than their country-cousins.

In smaller cities, people tend to be friendlier. There is a subconscious realization that you will possibly/likely meet this person again - reducing anonymity - which tends to make people more personally-accountable to one another. e.g. Since "your sister" might be the teacher of "my child" one day (in a smaller city), "I better not piss you off, because it may come back to bite me."

The inherent anonymity and the inherent brusqueness of Big City folk really do produce more lackadaisical attitudes and lower levels of personal responsibility in Big City government workers.

=========================
As I wrote in earlier post, explaining and describing the same issues:
Choosing to live in the Big City has inherent advantages and inherent disadvantages built in: better art museums, more high culture like symphonies and opera, better night life and better clubbing, but the attitudes of Big City government workers are clearly worse and the productivity and personal accountability of Big City government workers is almost universally lower than their country-cousins in mid-sized cities.

Personally, I much more enjoy 10 minute trips to get to government offices, friendly and efficient government office staff, and familiar faces at many turns - all offered by a city of 1 million people - versus going to the Opera, the Symphony, and the hassles and delays and problems described by expats who live in the big big cities.

I prefer easier and more congenial day-to-day living, interspersed with intentional travel to the Big Cities to experience those occasional High Culture things: the best of both worlds.

Different strokes for different folks.

Just one guy's observations,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Gringal

Aug 16, 2013, 8:54 AM

Post #402 of 443 (18680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
We are in Ajijic and applied for Permanente on May 27th, the correct date according to the facilitator we used. We have had continuous residency in Mexico since 2004 and had a "3" on our FM-2's, so no financials were required here in Jalisco.

We checked with our facilitator last Monday. No word yet. Slow as a banana slug climbing up a redwood tree for folks around here. Our facilitator had predicted three to four months when we applied, and it looks like he was right.

We got a notarized copy of the pertinent application documents and our visas before turning in our FM-2's, "just in case".

(This post was edited by Gringal on Aug 16, 2013, 8:55 AM)

Anonimo

Aug 16, 2013, 10:19 AM

Post #403 of 443 (18656 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We applied to INM Morelia for a change from Temporal to Permanente on Tuesday, July 16. We qualified on Financial Solvency. We were told to call the next Monday to see if they could fingerprint us on Tuesday.

We did, and they did fingerprint us. We were told to call in 15 days. On Monday, August 12, I received an email from INM saying that our visas were ready. On Tuesday, August 13, we picked them up.

The present staff at Morelia INM could hardly be nicer and more helpful. This year was an all time high for us, in terms of ease and friendly service. We are grateful.

Saludos,
Anonimo

mexrvers

Aug 16, 2013, 11:27 AM

Post #404 of 443 (18642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
we applied at Puerto Vallarta June 27th based on 4 renewal good until Dec 2013.
Fingerprinted July 22nd, picked up cards August 12th.

First time doing it ourselves - easy, easy, easy!! so friendly and helpful

and, they made a point of telling us that we only have to return for change of address or if we want to work.

Thanks to all on this forum for helping..............

YucaLandia

Aug 16, 2013, 11:56 AM

Post #405 of 443 (18638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Update on Merida INM policy on FM2/FM3 with Refrendo/Prórroga = 3 (completing 4 total years ) changing to Residente Permanente: Merida requires that the FM2/FM3 card holder wait until the first business day after the card expires to apply for changing category to Residente Permanente .

A good friend with excellent Spanish skills confirmed this today, since his current FM2 expires in September, and he needs to fly out not long after the expiration date. He really did much prefer to apply 30 days (or more) before the expiration date, and he also wanted expedited processing to get his card before having to fly out for a NOB family wedding.

No, no, no.... were the answers: You MUST come in only on the first business day after FM2 expiration.

This policy was confirmed by a second visit to INM the following day, to talk with different INM agents on the same issues/questions.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 16, 2013, 12:00 PM)

Gringal

Aug 16, 2013, 12:42 PM

Post #406 of 443 (18626 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Same thing here. Couldn't apply before expiration date.

But: Update: good news........just notified that we're going in for fingerprinting on Monday. There is HOPE in Jalisco.

mexrvers

Aug 16, 2013, 2:57 PM

Post #407 of 443 (18599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
we had a "4" on the back of our cards - good until December 2013.
we had checked previously and were told that our car would have to be removed before we applied for Permanente.
We left in April, sold the car, flew back and applied in June.

there were no bank statements required, just copies of passport and IMN forms. we had not moved so nothing to prove residence.

we spend an hour the first visit - including the bank payment and and hour the second for bank payment and fingerprints.

CanGuy78

Aug 22, 2013, 10:18 AM

Post #408 of 443 (18439 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Went and had my fingerprints taken on Monday August 19th. Was issued my CURP and told to check the website in 24 to 48 hours for an update.

Being realistic I don't expect to see anything happen for about two weeks.

For reference this is a first time application for Residencia Temporal.

This is in DF.

(This post was edited by CanGuy78 on Aug 22, 2013, 10:18 AM)

CanGuy78

Aug 29, 2013, 11:59 AM

Post #409 of 443 (18247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanGuy78] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
My Residencia Temporal has been issued as of August 26th.

Woohoo. Finally!

Took 3 months to the day. I applied at INM on May 27th.

(This post was edited by CanGuy78 on Aug 29, 2013, 12:00 PM)

La Isla

Aug 29, 2013, 12:12 PM

Post #410 of 443 (18241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanGuy78] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
ˇFelicidades!

CanGuy78

Aug 30, 2013, 7:14 PM

Post #411 of 443 (18183 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
So my Residencia Temporal card says "Permiso para Trabajar". Is this a lucrativa?

I didn't apply for my lucrativa but it says clearly on it that I have permission to work.

I did put in my application that my reason for coming here is "to find work teaching English". Did someone perhaps put it into the system with a lucrativa even though I didn't apply for it or pay for it?

Could it be my lucky day?

Here's a picture of my card so you can see. (don't make fun of my horrible picture)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/...495_2071573611_n.jpg

CozumelComplete

Aug 30, 2013, 7:16 PM

Post #412 of 443 (18181 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I turned in my application and documents on the 28th, my FM3 expires June 6th. They went through my documents and checked my bank statements and proof of income documents and told me to check the website but return in 2-3 weeks even if it does not say so on the site when checked. I only had a 2 on my FM3 as I was late prior to getting that one. My approval will be based on income and maybe points.

You are right about smaller offices being friendly. I have always done my own papers here on Cozumel and the employees have always helped with editing letters etc, and they get to know local expats.
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

geoffbob

Sep 14, 2013, 1:14 PM

Post #413 of 443 (17949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I will shortly arrive in Mexico with my Residencia Temporal. Within 30 days I'll register at the INM office. I have two questions:

1.) Will I first need a CURP?
2.) By paying the INM fee four years in advance is there any particular advantage other than not having to make the yearly trek down to the office?

La Isla

Sep 14, 2013, 4:33 PM

Post #414 of 443 (17928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I will shortly arrive in Mexico with my Residencia Temporal. Within 30 days I'll register at the INM office. I have two questions:

2.) By paying the INM fee four years in advance is there any particular advantage other than not having to make the yearly trek down to the office?

1) I got my CURP after I got my first residence card, but that may have changed in the last 5 years.

2) The advantage of paying four years in advance, if they let you do it, is that you won't have to make so many yearly treks to the INM office, as delightful as that experience can be :-).

Ric Hoffman

Sep 15, 2013, 5:31 AM

Post #415 of 443 (17905 views)

Shortcut

Re: CURP

| Private Reply

Not all INM delegaciones automatically enroll individuals, but you may include a simple request in your free form letter or the online form "remarks" section asking for enrollment at the time you register your Residencia Temporal.

Por medio de la presente el que subscribe mediante el presente escrito solicito registre de Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP).

When you pickup your card you can verify that you have been enrolled. If not ask again. It only takes a short time for the INM agents to complete the process. INM has the authority to enroll individuals into CURP.

(This post was edited by Ric Hoffman on Sep 15, 2013, 6:02 AM)

geoffbob

Sep 15, 2013, 5:40 AM

Post #416 of 443 (17900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ric Hoffman] CURP

| Private Reply
Oh! So both can be done at the same time and at the same address in D.F.? In that case you saved me a double schlepp. I had the address for INM at Av. Ejercito 862 and for CURP I was going to Instituto Nacional de Estadistica at Balderas 71.

AlanMexicali

Sep 15, 2013, 8:07 AM

Post #417 of 443 (17879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] CURP

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Oh! So both can be done at the same time and at the same address in D.F.? In that case you saved me a double schlepp. I had the address for INM at Av. Ejercito 862 and for CURP I was going to Instituto Nacional de Estadistica at Balderas 71.

I am petty sure you will only be able to get a RT for 1 year now.

morgaine7

Oct 28, 2013, 3:18 PM

Post #418 of 443 (17406 views)

Shortcut

Re: Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
INM, La Paz, Baja California Sur: My Inmigrante Refrendo #4 expires in November, so today I submitted my Residente Permanente application file. It went pretty much as expected. I didn't have to show proof of income or investments. One new twist was that, after checking my file, the agent handed me a blank sheet of paper and asked me (get this) to diagram the route to my house. Huh? At first I thought I'd misheard her, but no. I wonder what all that is about. Maybe they've caught applicants using fake addresses.

I was told approval would probably take ten days, and the entire process about a month. We'll see!

Kate

Aaron+

Nov 12, 2013, 12:57 PM

Post #419 of 443 (17251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Happy to pick up my residente permanente green card (chuckle, green like the USA) at INM Mérida yesterday. I had applied Sept. 19, 2013, four years and 1 day from receiving my initial residential type visa (a FM2 rentista back then) was the first day INM would accept my application. 4* trips and just under a total of $4K MXN, and I'm all set. Nothing special to report. The local INM staff were friendly and mostly helpful, as I have always found them to be.

I returned to INM 11 work days after being told I could return in 10 days for it, but I had not asked if they were 10 work days or 10 calendar days.

The INM office was pretty much deserted when I went for the next to last full session back on Oct. 27 for fingerprints, photo delivery, and payment. No wait then.

Not so yesterday. Arriving just after noon (12-1 being the time to receive new cards), I received white numbered card 75 and took my place in a packed waiting room. An hour later I jumped ahead of other white card holders when an official once again called for those who were only there to pick up cards. (Previous similar line jumpers had lower numbered cards.) Those who did not catch the Spanish language chance to leap forward stayed seated. I did rescue one fellow who had been sitting there over two hours.

Seemed to me that everyone's card was white. In the past, different colored cards represented different stages of interviews.

*I included two "1/2" trips for returns with bank payment receipts.

morgaine7

Nov 19, 2013, 12:21 PM

Post #420 of 443 (17162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I was fingerprinted today at La Paz INM, three weeks to the day (15th working day) from submitting my application file. They said to check back for my RP card in "a week or two". I don't expect it to be that quick, but at least I've passed another milestone.

Kate

morgaine7

Dec 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

Post #421 of 443 (17015 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
My Residente Permanente card was ready as of 28 November, so I count 31 days from application on 28 October. Pretty painless, all in all, and La Paz INM was very good at keeping my status updated on the website.

Whew! Finally! :-)

Kate

tashby

Dec 3, 2013, 4:10 PM

Post #422 of 443 (16996 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Congrats! It's a nice feeling when you get that card!

geoffbob

Dec 13, 2013, 3:30 PM

Post #423 of 443 (16847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I went to the immigration office in D.F. today to effect a "canje" and comply with the 30 days to register after arrival in the country with a RT Visa from one of their consulates abroad. I got to town with reservations at a hotel only and no fixed address. Because every resource I'd studied made particular mention of having utility bills etc. in order show a fixed address I invested a very substantial amount of time into being able to provide such documentation within the statutory 30 days but truncated by the holiday closing which according to an agent there at Immigration starts December 20th. I procured the bills by twisting myself into a pretzel and it was thus equipped that I went up town to the authorities. I gave them my neatly assembled package of forms and held my breath. The agent instantly plucked out the bills, pushed them back at me and informed me that they are no longer required.

Aaron+

Dec 14, 2013, 4:32 PM

Post #424 of 443 (16796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
... The agent instantly plucked out the bills, pushed them back at me and informed me that they are no longer required.

Don't you love it, life in bureaucratic Mexico! Now if you had shown up without those bills, who knows, you could have been turned back until you presented same!

geoffbob

Dec 14, 2013, 5:22 PM

Post #425 of 443 (16786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Ironically things on the Immigration front, although presented last year as a tightening up, seem to be loosening up. On my first visit to the Office of Circumlocution I showed up twenty minutes before the opening bell and took my place in a queue of possibly three hundred early birds. When I left the building I noted that there wasn't anybody in line and the sidewalk was almost empty. I did the metrics on that one and so on my second foray slept late and showed up at around 10:30, waltzed right in and out in a jiff. With visions of an interminable wait in the most uncomfortable chair in the world I had made sure to bring a Kindle. The entire process took about 30 minutes. I do have to report back for fingerprinting and let's just hope that they don't match up with any hideous criminal acts. And just for the record I was out of town on the day of the Brinks heist.
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4