Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

pepafifi

Sep 14, 2013, 11:39 AM

Post #1 of 9 (4056 views)

Shortcut

Tourist card

Can't Post | Private Reply
I drove into Mexico last year the 6th of Nov to be with my husband.At the time I got a tourist card and a car permit.I was going to drive back but the car would not make it back and as one of my children had become sick at the same time I flew back and I did have my passport stamped in plenty of time to cancel the tourist permit. I am going back in October,but not taking a car.Im riding with a family member and my husband is meeting me at the McAllen crossing and we are taking the bus to SMA.Will I have a problem getting another tourist permit.I did turn it in on time.

chicois8

Sep 14, 2013, 11:56 AM

Post #2 of 9 (4047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pepafifi] Tourist card

They should have taken it away at the checkin counter at the airport, I recently tried to turn in my FMM in Ensenada and the immigration agent said just throw it away so I doubt you will have an issue getting a new one from immigration...suerte

P.S. Guess you have forfeited the TIP deposit and the vehicle is in Mexico illegally and could be confiscated .........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

pepafifi

Sep 14, 2013, 12:33 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Tourist card

yes the car is still there not running parked on our property on the ranch.My concern was that perhaps since I got the TIP AND FMM at the same time on the same card that might prevent me going back in since I didnt take the car out.

RickS

Sep 14, 2013, 4:09 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4021 views)

Shortcut

Circumstances are sometimes so different that it is hard to say with much certainty just what will happen. "Did you just loose your deposit or is the fact that you did not remove the car still lurking around in some database"? Who knows.

One way maybe to test the waters is to apply online for a new TIP before you set off to the border. If they send you one you are good to go; if they send the Federales to your house NOB you'll know that maybe you've upset them in some way. ;>)

pepafifi

Sep 14, 2013, 5:02 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Tourist card

Thanks Rick.I went to the site and I was approved,but it says the date of autorization is today and it expires tommorrow.Does that mean I have to re-apply.Also when I get to the border can they recheck and deny me.I know I seem like a total ditz. but Im grateful for your in-put

RickS

Sep 14, 2013, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 9 (4000 views)

Shortcut

I'm going to risk a guess, but maybe the meaning is that, once you are approved online, that online approval will only be valid for a short period of time.... i.e. once you start the online process you must carry through or that 'session' will cancel itself.

Once you get your TIP online, you do not have to 'interface' with anyone at the border about a car permit. Go to the Migracion desk and get your FMM and then you are done. If someone asks (which they won't) do you need to get your car permit just say "nada, got it already". Of course you will have to, in your car, go through the declare/non-declare red/green light thingy with Aduana but.....

Depending on where you enter, farther down the road you may have to show your visa and they may want to look at your TIP, but again, once you have it from online you don't have to be concerned with anyone else about it.

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 14, 2013, 5:18 PM)

chicois8

Sep 14, 2013, 6:40 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3982 views)

Shortcut

RickS, the Op is not driving this trip, here is what she wrote:

" I am going back in October,but not taking a car.Im riding with a family member and my husband is meeting me at the McAllen crossing and we are taking the bus to SMA.Will I have a problem getting another tourist permit.I did turn it in on time."
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

pepafifi

Sep 14, 2013, 6:41 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3981 views)

Shortcut

Gracias Rick-and God bless you.

RickS

Sep 14, 2013, 6:59 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Tourist card

Ooops. I guess I lost that fact when I saw that the OP went online to get a TIP. Just testing the waters I guess.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4