Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Canadian bikers

Sep 14, 2013, 8:28 AM

Post #1 of 8 (8616 views)

Shortcut

Travelling to Mazatlan

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning a road trip to Mazatlan in 2014. We will be arriving at the Mexican/US border on December 29th or 30th, 2013 depending if we cross through Nogales Arizona or Laredo Texas. We would cross at the Laredo crossing if the new highway from Durango to Mazatlan is complete. We are looking for any other Canadians or Americans who will be travelling into Mexico at this time. We will be travelling in a motorhome and are interested in travelling in a group. We hope to reach Mazatlan in 2 days from the border.

RickS

Sep 14, 2013, 9:34 AM

Post #2 of 8 (8600 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Canadian bikers] Travelling to Mazatlan

Two days from Nogales is doable..... but from Laredo in a Motorhome is not unless you are planning on driving some at night which is not advisable. Also be aware that (I think) there is still a highway blockage between Guaymas and Cuidad Obregon on the Nogales route. Passage through the blockade has to be 'timed' for the hours it is open.

Another option for you, if the Durango road is open, it to cross in the vicinity of Juarez (Santa Teresa crossing) and down the cuotas to Torreon then Durango.

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 14, 2013, 9:36 AM)

chinagringo

Sep 14, 2013, 5:59 PM

Post #3 of 8 (8568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Travelling to Mazatlan

Rick:

Have you been following the "local news" for Villa Ahumada, Chichuahua, Delicicias, Camargo, Jimenez, Torreon/Gomez Palacio, Rio Grande, Fresnillo, and Zacatecas? Certainly not an inviting picture!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chicois8

Sep 14, 2013, 6:50 PM

Post #4 of 8 (8564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Canadian bikers] Travelling to Mazatlan

I drive the Nogales/ Mazatlan route every year, use the Mariposa truck crossing, pick up your tourists permits and vehicle permit at KM21, i usually drive to Navojoa (361 miles ) the first day and reach Mazatlan (339 miles ) the second afternoon ...I believe the Yaqui roadblocks have stopped but who knows what tomorrow may bring.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

RickS

Sep 14, 2013, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 8 (8563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Travelling to Mazatlan

Neil, I have long suspected that you and I have differing opinions of what is safe, relatively safe and "I wouldn't travel through there ever." BUT, if you have specific and recent news that would make that route a bad choice at the moment, the OP, who may not be aware of what your veiled message implies, may benefit from you posting outright.

In other words, if I have made a serious mistake about suggesting that route for travel right now, speak up.

Rick

chinagringo

Sep 14, 2013, 7:44 PM

Post #6 of 8 (8559 views)

Shortcut

Rick:

La Laguna (Torreon, Gomez Palacio and Lerdo), Fresnillo, Rio Grande, Zacatecas and Chihuahua have been well documented for their repetitive ongoing problems. I would go so far as to say that rarely does a day go by when an incident of one sort or another doesn't happen resulting in deaths. The other towns somewhat less but they would still be of concern to me.

Since we would like to go back to driving through this area, I continue to dig and watch for reports and in my opinion things are not improving. As you say, we each have our tolerance level and mine doesn't or isn't willing to accept the stress nor the risk!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Sep 15, 2013, 3:59 PM

Post #7 of 8 (8523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Travelling to Mazatlan

Yes. What I try to balance is 'what is happening, where exactly is it happening and to whom is it happening'. Are people getting taken off the cuotas or major highways and kidnapped, killed or whatever or is this a problem more related to a specific group off the beaten path.

Not to be to flippant about this stuff, but on any given day/night a whole lot of sh** happens in our NOB major cities and towns but people keep on traveling into, out of and through them. Each of us have to digest what we know and act according to our own limits I suppose.

I just drove today from Ajijic/Lake Chapala up the cuotas through Aguacalientes, outskirts of Zacatecas up 54 to Saltillo area then up 57 to Monclova where I am in a hotel as we speak. Pretty normal trip. 10 hours. Some people would not come within 200 miles of Monclova as it, from time to time and at any given moment some time ago it has had some 'disturbances' (which translates to some people got killed out in the campo and maybe even in town... I don't know). My comfort level lets me take this route. Others might not.

Given what I know, I would take the highway down from "El Paso" to Durango and over to Mazatlan.... but that's just me at this moment.

Everyone should make up their own mind about how safe any road is to travel. My experiences are just that .... my experiences!

Cheers.

chinagringo

Sep 15, 2013, 6:24 PM

Post #8 of 8 (8519 views)

Shortcut

Rick:

Very well put! However, when providing advice I prefer to err on the side of caution as I don't wish to have "blood on my hands" from giving flippant advice. To put my poorly worded statement another way, I won't use my personal evaluations to recommend to others what they should or shouldn't do! This is coming from someone who hasn't experienced even the most minor negative experience when driving in Mexico in 10+ years!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4