Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Sep 13, 2013, 10:25 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2635 views)

Shortcut

Hotel Recommendations, Manzanillo and Cd. Colima

Can't Post | Private Reply
We're thinking about a road trip in mid-November, starting south of San Blas and ending up back in Pátzcuaro, including the Michoacán coast. I'd be interested in hotel recommendations for Manzanillo and Cd. Colima, neither of which we've visited before, and for that matter any ideas about accommodations in the fishing towns in Michoacán.

Our budget isn't infinite, so we're mostly interested in mid-level hotels. Something clean, comfortable, with a little character (but not too much if you know what I mean) and with comfortable beds. What are the nicest beaches in Manzanillo? The hotels seem to be spread across a wide area in different bays, and pretty far from Centro. Though we're not averse to hopping on a bus or collectivo to get into town.

Thanks for any ideas and advice you have. This board is a terrific resource.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

tashby

Sep 13, 2013, 11:53 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2622 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Hotel Recommendations, Manzanillo and Cd. Colima

Hotel La Merced in Colima City is a comfortable enough, mid-priced place in centro, about six blocks from the main plaza. It's across the street from a large park, and around the corner from the main shopping street that everyone walks to and from the plaza. It has parking. For some reason it's listed as a B&B on Trip Advisor, though when I was there a few years ago there was no restaurant. They were adding to it though, so maybe now...

Have also stayed at Hotel America, which has a restaurant. It's fine. A bit more expensive than La Merced. Definitely shop for a room of your choice as they vary greatly. Also has parking.

Neither of those are fancy, but comfortable enough.

sparks

Sep 13, 2013, 2:22 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2610 views)

Shortcut

The Merced works for Colima. Very basic but clean and parking.

The Colonial in downtown Manzanillo is a classic from the 40's and inexpensive. They have a parking garage.

My favorite is Maria Cristina on the north end of Manzanillo

Hotel Maria Cristina
28 de agosto No.36 Colonia Santiago Manzanillo
Colima C.P. 28860
telefonos (314) 333-09-66
333-07-67
333-23-70

Not sure there is a any tourist fishing in Michoacan but most likely in Caleta de Campos if any

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Anonimo

Sep 14, 2013, 7:55 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2583 views)

Shortcut

Hi, Nancy; years ago (in the early 90s), we stayed in Colima at the grand Hotel Ceballos, on the main plaza. The rooms were very variable in size and character. We took one of the cheapest, which was small, hot (and this was in January) and the bathroom was set up behind a sort of temporary partition. We would never choose to stay in a room like that now, but then we were young, relatively slender, and adventurous. More pesos could have gotten us a bigger, more lujo room.

By the way, the best place we ate was in a transplanted Oaxacan restaurant, "Ah Que Nanishe".

We enjoyed Colima a lot, and I think we were there 3 nights. We took a bus out to El Salto, a relatively small waterfall in a recreational park. It was the journey more than the destination that was so enjoyable.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4