Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Jul 12, 2013, 7:31 PM

Post #1 of 13 (56736 views)

Shortcut

Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone tell me if Leeks are fairly common to buy here in México? My wife and I got to talking about soups and she had never heard of leeks. I found some photos on the internet and she would like to try using some in a Beef Barley Soup that she plans to make soon. Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Robt65

Maesonna

Jul 12, 2013, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 13 (56720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

I see them all the time in the produce section of the Comercial Mexicana where I shop. Also some market sellers have them. In Spanish, poro.

esperanza

Jul 12, 2013, 9:48 PM

Post #3 of 13 (56711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

Every vegetable vendor at any tianguis or market I have ever shopped has sold leeks. As Maesonna wrote, in Spanish they are poros. They look like enormous scallions.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 12, 2013, 9:48 PM)

CozICan

Jul 15, 2013, 11:06 AM

Post #4 of 13 (56662 views)

Shortcut

They usually have Leeks in the Mega (Comercial Mexicana) store here on the beautiful Isla de Cozumel in the Caribbean :)

rayitodeluna

Sep 2, 2013, 3:54 PM

Post #5 of 13 (55224 views)

Shortcut

Just wanted to confirm that leeks are also common near us as well. In mercados and in the larger stores (walmart/chedraui etc) .

My MIL was impressed when I not only knew what leeks where but when I made her leek and potato soup. But then again, she thinks the US doesnt have as many vegetables as mexico (eye roll, LOL), ifpr that US veggies are "fake".

Speaking of leeks, I had a leek soup served cold once , have never tried to replicate it at home. Off to google...

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

tashby

Sep 2, 2013, 6:34 PM

Post #6 of 13 (55210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

Okay, leeks are covered. (And yes, see them all the time where we are.)

Anybody seen a shallot?

esperanza

Sep 2, 2013, 7:50 PM

Post #7 of 13 (55195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

The Friday tianguis where I shop always has shallots, as does the mercado nearest our house. Tell A to pick some up while he's here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rayitodeluna

Sep 2, 2013, 8:02 PM

Post #8 of 13 (55192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

In Reply To
The Friday tianguis where I shop always has shallots, as does the mercado nearest our house. Tell A to pick some up while he's here.

I had a heart attack the other day when I was in a neighborhood far from me- I always stop into the grocery stores or mercados when I am out of my own neighborhood to check for goodies. They had shallots! I bought all they had on display (it was only a kilo or so) . :)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

Anonimo

Sep 3, 2013, 3:17 AM

Post #9 of 13 (55182 views)

Shortcut

Shallots have been spotted at Padilla's specialty vegetable stand in the Pátzcuaro Mercado, but I have never bought them.

Saludos,
Anonimo

rayitodeluna

Sep 10, 2013, 8:23 AM

Post #10 of 13 (54789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

The MxConnect powers that be must have sent some shallots my way, because this weekend at our nearest Walmart they had shallots! For the first time in 2 years!

Am coming back to report that I made a different version of leek and potato soup (that included shallots, since I bought ALOT). If anyone would like to try, here is the blog I got the recipe from:

http://www.mrswheelbarrow.com/2010/10/potato-soup-meets-the-onion-family/

I made some subsitutions due to what I had on hand, and it still turned out really , extremely delish. I took some over to my MIL , and she ate two bowls of if instead of the arrachera and nopales she had made for dinner. THAT is a compliment, that woman doesnt really like my cooking. My oldest toddler had 5 bowls in two days.

Its dairy free, fairly quick and delicious! I may have used more shallot than called for and less white onion :)

Robert, have you guys tried any leek recipes since posting this? Did you wife try some in that beef and barley soup you mentioned?

DavidMcL / Moderator

Sep 10, 2013, 3:25 PM

Post #11 of 13 (54761 views)

Shortcut

Happy to be of service!
David McL
WebJefe

tashby

Sep 10, 2013, 4:38 PM

Post #12 of 13 (54757 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious.

citlali

Nov 9, 2013, 6:53 AM

Post #13 of 13 (52866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Leeks Fairly Common in Stores in Mexico?

Super Lake carries shallots on a regular basis more or less. We use them a lot in French cooking and I also make the Vietnamese fried shallots. When I cannot find shallots I use very thinly siced red onion.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4