Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

rockydog85251

Sep 10, 2013, 1:15 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2130 views)

Shortcut

Brown out???

Can't Post | Private Reply
We were just visiting friends in Ajijic and upon returning to their house from a short vacation, there was almost no power in their house! We were told that this is not an uncommon experience in their area. Are any other mexconnect members having the same situation? What would cause this in that part of the lake?
Willie

Gringal

Sep 10, 2013, 2:02 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Brown out???

Depends on what part of Ajijic. We had some brief outages one evening a few days ago, but then it came back on solidly and stayed on. We're in Centro and we seldom have long outages, but it's probably due to having many businesses and hotels nearby. "Squeaky wheels", etc.

rockydog85251

Sep 10, 2013, 4:50 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Brown out???

Well, they are above the careterra, not too far from Centro. I wonder if CFE would replace appliances if damaged by this ongoing problem??? (jaja) They have been know to do so here in Mazatlan when there have been power spikes.
Willie

tashby

Sep 10, 2013, 9:11 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2080 views)

Shortcut

What gringal said. We're lucky and have been renting a house for five years with relatively stable electricity. We had flickers the other night, also. Pretty normal where we are in lower Ajijic. Others have more severe problems, and more frequently, depending upon where they're located. Good luck to your friends.

citlali

Sep 11, 2013, 7:53 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2042 views)

Shortcut

Brown outs used to be common now we probably had a couple in the last 5 years. We had one last night near 6 esquinas. When they had a very large surge in Chapala several years ago and many people lost appliances, I heard that CFE paid but I do not know if it is correct or not and would not count on getting money back from them.
I woke up because the ceiling fan did not work and turned it off..no big deal .

Gringal

Sep 11, 2013, 9:44 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Brown out???

....the irony of it all. I jinxed Ajijic Centro with my previous post. Our power (and the rest of the neighborhoods') went out in the middle of the night and didn't come back on until 10:30 this morning.
You gotta wonder...

tashby

Sep 11, 2013, 4:06 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Brown out???

Jajaja. Yeah, we woke up to no electricity today also. Guess we tempted fate.

rockydog85251

Sep 11, 2013, 6:57 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Brown out???

But isn't this the "low" season there, so demand would be down??? I guess we should thank our lucky stars here in MZT!!! Our power here is seldom out more than 15-30 min max thanks to an attentive CFE group.
Willie

citlali

Sep 11, 2013, 8:41 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1948 views)

Shortcut

The brown out was in the middle of the night and people do not have A/C so I doubt that it was due to a high usage. It was raining hard on our side of town when it went out and it only lasted a couple of hours. There are lots of trees growing into lines so maybe that was one of the problems or who knows..we had electricity when we woke up..but other paarts of town were out according to the gardner ..another mystery.
AN outage here is no big deal for us. We still get water from the street so the fridge is the only think of any importance and we have almost nothing in the freezer so we get ice and put the few perishable we have on ice and we just wait it out. When you have a climate like here it is no big deal , we will not die of heat or cold.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4