Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

rayitodeluna

Sep 5, 2013, 8:03 PM

Post #1 of 13 (18328 views)

Shortcut

"i have done some research..."

Can't Post | Private Reply
What is a polite, correct way to convey "I have done some research" or "I was reading up on it" in Spanish?

My current go to is

"Estaba leyendo que....."

The only other word I can think of is "study" but "estaba estudiendo" just doesnt fit right here does it? I do think "estaba" would be correct, since it was an activity (reading/researching) that took place in the past but for an undefined period of time? In fact, I still am reading/researching the subject but am not sure which tiempo would be correct in this case.

If context matters, I use it in conversation (alot) when topics in regards to parenting decisions come up. If strangers think Im rude or wrong in some parenting decision it doesn't matter, but I would like to express myself in an intellegent (but firm),polite manner to my inlaws.

An example would be:

"I have researched/was researching that when children attend school at young ages they often don't aquire a love for learning compared to their peers that were allowed to enjoy their toddlerhood for a bit longer"

(Im not looking for exact translations, but that is the general train of thought I am having trouble conveying without the key word "research/study")

Thank you for any guidance!

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

esperanza

Sep 5, 2013, 9:49 PM

Post #2 of 13 (18318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] "i have done some research..."

Investigar is the verb you use.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Maesonna

Sep 6, 2013, 7:16 AM

Post #3 of 13 (18298 views)

Shortcut

In your context, I might say, “Según leo …” or “Leí algo que dice que …” Or something stronger with investigar might be “Lo investigué, y dicen que…” You can also use “estudiar” for this concept – it has a somewhat wider application than “study” in English.

But I don’t know how far it will get you among people who are used to trusting only what they hear in person (from a family member or authority figure) and do not have a personal culture of researching and reading. The opinions and theories you have read might get more respect if you ascribe them to your abuelito or your tía!

On a general grammatical note, “I was reading”, “I was studying” are accurately translated by “leía”, ”estudiaba” – it isn’t necessary to include “estar”.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Sep 6, 2013, 8:18 AM)

rayitodeluna

Sep 6, 2013, 7:56 AM

Post #4 of 13 (18288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] "i have done some research..."

In Reply To
Investigar is the verb you use.

Thank you! Now I need to practice how to use it correctly, I obviously struggle still with tenses.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

rayitodeluna

Sep 6, 2013, 8:04 AM

Post #5 of 13 (18285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] "i have done some research..."

In Reply To
In your context, I might say, “Según leo …” or “Leí algo que dice que …” Or something stronger with investigar might be “Lo investigué, y dicen que…” You can also use “estudiar” for this concept – it has a somewhat wider application than “study” in English.

But I don’t know how far it will get you among people who are used to trusting only what they hear in person (from a family member or authority figure) and do not have a personal culture of researching and reading. The opinions and theories you have read might get more respect if you ascribe them to your abuelito or your tía!

On a general grammatical note, “I was reading”, “I was studying” are accurately translated by “leía”, ”estudiaba” – it isn’t necessary to include “estar”.

Thank you for all the help! I really struggle with tenses, and was just asking my husband last night about "leia" vs "estaba leyendo" , but although he is 100% bilingual, he isnt that great of a teacher ;)

And I HAVE noticed what you mentioned about accepting new information- it is sometimes frustrating for me because sometimes they (MIL and SIL) come home with a new declaration that someone at the mercado told them :

"I didnt know - a mom at the mercado just told me. You cant breastfeed your baby if you have been walking around in the hot sun, your milk heats up too much and hacer dano a el bebe. She gave him Pepsi al tiempo instead."

:/

Anyway, my point is that I have noticed how readily they accept new "facts" , but usually it is from someone they know personally or on TV/noticias? What if I said I saw it on TV? I dont want to lie but if "researching" will mean nothing in the context its kinda useless to even mention.

Bennie García

Sep 6, 2013, 8:08 AM

Post #6 of 13 (18287 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] "i have done some research..."

Along those lines one might say:

Según lo que he visto (o leido)

or

Según mis investigaciones

There are always many different ways to express the same thought.

Maesonna

Sep 6, 2013, 8:24 AM

Post #7 of 13 (18278 views)

Shortcut

There’s a good tip for you – some of your research can be credited to people you run into at the mercado. Probably it will get lots of respect if you ascribe it to one of those ladies selling herbs that cure everything – she should really know her stuff.

As for learning language from bilingual husbands, mine has a PhD (not in languages or anything related!) and wasn’t any help either for me on the basics when I was first learning. He came out with some weird things that were simply wrong. He can correct my mistakes just fine, though!

eyePad

Sep 7, 2013, 3:04 PM

Post #8 of 13 (18243 views)

Shortcut

Research in Spanish is usually investigaciones. How you use it depends on what tone and register you want to achieve. 'Estaba leyendo' denotes that you were actually in the act of reading when most likely something happened. It's more an anglicism. En mi investigación, Cuando investigue, durante mis investigaciones salió que ...
Espero que te ayude en algo.
un sañudo :)

esperanza

Sep 7, 2013, 3:24 PM

Post #9 of 13 (18239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] "i have done some research..."

Investigar...precisamente lo que dije desde un principio.

eyePad

Sep 7, 2013, 6:09 PM

Post #10 of 13 (18222 views)

Shortcut

Yes, that was what I was trying to say.
Un saludo

rayitodeluna

Sep 8, 2013, 7:41 AM

Post #11 of 13 (18202 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for the specific examples of how to use investigar], that is super helpful!

(This post was edited by rayitodeluna on Sep 8, 2013, 7:43 AM)

eyePad

Sep 11, 2013, 8:14 PM

Post #12 of 13 (18115 views)

Shortcut

Hi Esperanza, I just really read your reply. Yes, I meant to say we are in agreement.

esperanza

Sep 12, 2013, 5:31 AM

Post #13 of 13 (18098 views)

Shortcut

Thanks!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4