Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jreboll

Sep 4, 2013, 12:09 PM

Post #1 of 15 (8025 views)

Shortcut

Merida

Can't Post | Private Reply
Are there any flights from anywhere but DF to Merida? I am in Harlingen, TX and we have someone very sick in a Merida hospital. I would like to fly out of Monterrey but will consider other departure points.

yucatandreamer

Sep 4, 2013, 1:27 PM

Post #2 of 15 (8007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Merida

United flies from Houston daily I believe. Arrives here about 9:30 pm

sam.I.am

Sep 4, 2013, 1:28 PM

Post #3 of 15 (8006 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You could fly into Cancun, rent a car for a couple hour drive to merida. May be even just hire a taxi. Flights to Cancun should be easy and faster than going through DF

YucaLandia

Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 PM

Post #4 of 15 (8000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sam.I.am] Merida

If you drive within 10% of the speed limit, the drive between Cancun and Merida is about 4 hours. Add in the time to pick up and drop off rental cars, it makes the whole process almost 10 hours for the transfers. Are the lay-overs more than 5 hours each way in Mexico City?

The flying costs into Cancun is much cheaper than into Merida. Many people use the ADO bus service to shuttle back and forth between Cancun and Merida at about $40 USD a one-way ticket. Monterrey - Merida tickets are the cheapest option.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 4, 2013, 1:55 PM)

jreboll

Sep 4, 2013, 1:58 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Merida

Thank you all very much for your answers. I wanted to look at all options. I believe we will take the flight Reynosa-DF-Merida.

RickS

Sep 4, 2013, 2:00 PM

Post #6 of 15 (7996 views)

Shortcut

After looking around a bit, I did not see that anyone flies directly into Merida from any place other than Mexico City. From Miami, but.....

An alternative might be to fly non-stop (Volaris or Interjet) from Monterrey to Cancun and take an ADO bus over to Merida. Bus takes about 4 hours and costs between $25-$35 US.

sam.I.am

Sep 4, 2013, 3:17 PM

Post #7 of 15 (7980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Merida

Can't Post |
 I did a bit of research and the drive time from Cancun to Merida was claimed to be 2 to 3 hours. An ADO bus doing it in 4 hours pretty much confirms those times.
A taxi, in my area, would run in the 1500 to 1800 peso range for that time frame.

chicois8

Sep 4, 2013, 3:38 PM

Post #8 of 15 (7976 views)

Shortcut

I just did the Cancun - Merida run last February with no stops...The trip was:
315 KM or 189 miles
just a little over 3 hours@ 60+MPH
tolls were 397 Pesos or about $30 UDS
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

YucaLandia

Sep 4, 2013, 5:16 PM

Post #9 of 15 (7961 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I did a bit of research and the drive time from Cancun to Merida was claimed to be 2 to 3 hours. An ADO bus doing it in 4 hours pretty much confirms those times.
A taxi, in my area, would run in the 1500 to 1800 peso range for that time frame

jreboll,
Have a really good trip.

sam.i.am,
Yeah, the official distance from the periphery of Merida to the peripheriphery of Cancun is 312 km, and at the 90 km per hour and 110 km per hr limits, that's right at 3 hours, plus stops at the 2 toll booths - and stops at the military / police retenes, it works out to about 3 hours 15 minutes.

Reality: There's really not much out at the periphery's of the 2 cities, so it takes another 20 minutes within each city to get to common destinations - which makes the actual drive times 3½ - 4 hours - which is what the bus takes.

Reality vs. internet research.
Note: We have made the drive at least 20 times, and I prefer not to break the speed limits.

If you drive 120 - 130 km per hour, breaking the speed limits, then you can get the actual drive times to and from real-world reasonable locations inside Merida and inside Cancun,down to sam.i.am's hypothetical 3 hr figure . The quoted 2 hours requires seriously breaking the law and taking big risks.

For any future readers considering the Cancun-Merida drive: The animal carcasses from highway travel through hours of jungle, zopilotes feasting on carcasses (flying slowly as they leave the carcasses), and the campesinos hauling leña in their heavily loaded tricycles and campesinos on their bicycles on the roadway, and the double-trailers and triple-trailers weaving across the lines on the highway.... really do make it worth driving the speed limits - which means safe driving takes 3 ½ - 4 hours to get to/from actual typical destinations in Cancun & Merida.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 4, 2013, 6:18 PM)

tonyburton

Sep 4, 2013, 6:31 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7931 views)

Shortcut

Another option is flying via Guadalajara.
I'm not sure what date the service starts, but Volaris has announced twice-weekly flights from Guadalajara to Merida: http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/secciones/negocios/30979.html

citlali

Sep 4, 2013, 7:15 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Merida

Volaris and Interjets have flights from Mexico to Merida, Vivaaerobus has flights from Mexico to cancun or Guagalajara Merida and I flew Magnicharter from Guadalajara to Merida and you probably can check all the other Us airlines Expedia and co..

mazbeach

Sep 5, 2013, 6:31 AM

Post #12 of 15 (7881 views)

Shortcut

A good place to check for just about anywhere is http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

It's good for just about anywhere in the world. It doesn't sell anything, just gives you published connections.

jreboll

Sep 5, 2013, 9:53 AM

Post #13 of 15 (7851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Merida

Thank you very much for all the information. Our relative is in a critical state so we are on wait/see and might have to fly out on a moment's notice and just grab the first flight we can get.

RickS

Sep 5, 2013, 1:58 PM

Post #14 of 15 (7822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Merida

"A good place to check for just about anywhere is http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

This site does not appear to check Volaris airlines......

citlali

Sep 6, 2013, 6:57 AM

Post #15 of 15 (7776 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Merida

I fly to CHiapas on a regular basis with either Volaris, Vivaaerobus or Interjet, all discount airlines and none of them are showing. The only one showing is aeromexcico, the most expensive. Do not see Magnicharter either and that one flies from GDL to Merida and Cancun.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4