Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

wilpharm

Sep 3, 2013, 10:21 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2791 views)

Shortcut

Durango-MZT

Can't Post | Private Reply
heard recently that ribbon ceremony on new road from Durango-Mazatlan will be 17 October...anyone know if the road is "unoficially" open now" also rumors of carjackings on old highway....anyone with good info???..I think this new road will save us about a half day drive from Laredo to Tepic...sometimes taks an hour or more just getting thru GDL...thanx

tonyburton

Sep 3, 2013, 11:57 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Durango-MZT

There are several recent press reports of:
(a) protests from people in Sinaloa who feel they have not yet been adequately compensated for their property and/or access through their property by construction crews and
(b) landslides across, and surface cracks in, the new highway.
I would not want to be the first to drive this new highway... but would wait until there are first-hand reports. This may be some time after the official opening (that's assuming it happens in mid-October as currently planned) and IF the public are then allowed access along its full length. [This would not be the first time in Mexico that a highway has been "officially opened", but no public access allowed for several months afterwards while construction work, signage etc, are actually completed!]

sam.I.am

Sep 3, 2013, 1:25 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Durango-MZT

Can't Post |
I can't believe you, of all people, would not what to be the first to make this drive. I mean really, if you have any concept of construction and the number of vehicles who cross this road "unofficially", why not?

tonyburton

Sep 3, 2013, 1:38 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sam.I.am] Durango-MZT

Mainly because I wouldn't want to spoil the fun of my co-author Rick Rhoda who hopes to drive through there in mid-October and will no doubt write a firsthand Geo-Mexico update at that time!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4