Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

rayitodeluna

Sep 2, 2013, 3:28 PM

Post #1 of 6 (12259 views)

Shortcut

Do you know Renata?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can someone explain to me what this means?

A couple days ago, I was hanging with our family us the family of my future sister in law. That future SIL (fSIL), my first SIL, and I where havign a hilarious conversation. Amusing because fSIL was speaking in English and I was translating into Spanish for her to our other SIL.

My point is, she said at some point in the conversation "Do you know Renata?" Directed towards my original SIL but in English for me to translate. Which I translated into Spanish as "conoces Renata?" , but I did ask what that meant since it was obvious it had another meaning. The person who said it (fSIL) doesnt actually speak that much English so wasnt explaining it very well but my original SIL explained to me (in Soanish) that "Renata" is a person that exists only in your mind.

Anyone have an idea, which that horrible explanation? They were both more than a little tipsy, I dont really drink so perhaps had I been drinking as much as they were I would have understood the joke ;)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

tashby

Sep 2, 2013, 6:57 PM

Post #2 of 6 (12240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Do you know Renata?

I don't know, but I can't wait to hear the answers!

I can think of a similar thing in English, but it could be completely unrelated, so....

cbviajero

Sep 3, 2013, 9:11 AM

Post #3 of 6 (12215 views)

Shortcut

I've never heard that one before,neither has my wife,maybe it's a chilango thing.Have you asked your husband what it means?

esperanza

Sep 4, 2013, 7:16 AM

Post #4 of 6 (12175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Do you know Renata?

Reporting from the DF: I've never heard of it either, and neither have my Mexican friends. Maybe it's a family-type joke.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rayitodeluna

Sep 5, 2013, 7:54 PM

Post #5 of 6 (12125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Do you know Renata?

In Reply To
Reporting from the DF: I've never heard of it either, and neither have my Mexican friends. Maybe it's a family-type joke.

Thanks for asking around!

I would think that, but the person who said it is the new-to-be-married-soon to my BIL one . I have actually hung out with her more than my original SIL has. That doesnt mean they dint have a special joke though I guess? Hmm.

What a mystery! Ill ask the original SIL tomorrow, maybe sheaill explain it better sober ;)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

rayitodeluna

Sep 6, 2013, 8:11 AM

Post #6 of 6 (12104 views)

Shortcut

UPDATE

This has got to be the best misunderstanding ever. :)

I finally asked my husband and when I said the name "Renata" he started laughing.

I wasnt aware that my BILs ex's name is actually Renata. ;) The new SIL was asking about her husband to be's ex (and for good reason) to us, but since I wasnt aware of the ex's name (she goes by a different one that my BIL gave her since he doesnt like Renata - roll your eyes at that one!) I was clueless. My originaly SIL is a "great" liar and actress when it comes to defending her brother and was making up all the stuff about "an imaginary person blahblahblah" to confuse me and new SIL enough that the convo would be dropped.

Que chistoso!

And here I was thinking this was some meaningful symbol or something. Nope. Sorry I pulled you all into it for nothing!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4