Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

steve.lafler

Sep 2, 2013, 10:36 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3782 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident and U.S. plated car?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Greetings, I've been searching the forums for info on this and I'm bleary eyed after slogging about.

Here is my question: I'm up for permanent residency in January. I have a South Dakota plated car. Is it worth the fee to keep this car here? Or am I better off returning it the U.S. and selling it, then buying one where I live in Oaxaca?

I'll take the path of least resistance, and/or least expense!

Thank you kindly for any input.

Steve

YucaLandia

Sep 2, 2013, 11:07 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve.lafler] Permanent Resident and U.S. plated car?

Is your car eligible for permanent import?

If it is a NAFTA car (VIN starts with a number), and it is 8-9 years old (based on a Nov 1 - Oct 31 model year system), then it is eligible to import at a seaport - if you can find a customs broker who is willing. Costs are typically around $25,000 pesos.

If it is a NAFTA car and it is more than 5 years old (based on a Nov 1 - Oct 31 model year system), then it is eligible to import at a at a border - depending on the age and which border crossing you choose, the price can range from $800 - $3000 USD . Nogales and Mexicali had the lowest import costs during the past 6 months.

Some people report successful imports through customs brokers at the Guadalajara airport - for about $25,000 pesos .

There are people who offer professional services of taking a car to the border, and selling it.

Re the path of least resistance/least cost: We don't have enough information to say...

See more details at: Options for Foreign-Plated “TIP” Car Owners in Mexico, esp for Permanent Residents
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 2, 2013, 11:15 AM)

stevebrtx

Sep 2, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3765 views)

Shortcut

And, depends on how much you "love" your car. I love mine, I'm returning next Monday to TX to go through the knothole twice to keep my NOB plates, get a new RT and return.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

citlali

Sep 2, 2013, 11:21 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3758 views)

Shortcut

If it works for you sell it and buy a Mexican plated car in Oaxaca, that is the path of least resistance. Do it before you become permanent.

steve.lafler

Sep 2, 2013, 11:47 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3751 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Permanent Resident and U.S. plated car?

Thanks for the generous responses!

Methinks I'm gonna sell it in the U.S. and buy one here.

It's a 2002 Toyota Rav 4, a darn good car but I don't love it that much, and man it has some hard (topes, potholes) miles on it.

bournemouth

Sep 2, 2013, 1:22 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3733 views)

Shortcut

Your RAV was, I think, made in Japan and is therefor unable to be nationalized. We just sent our 2006 out with a family member and bought something locally. If the VIN starts with J there is no way to nationalize such a vehicle.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4