Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Aaron+

Aug 28, 2013, 8:10 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2588 views)

Shortcut

Counterfeit pesos

Can't Post | Private Reply
For those who tend to be supercautious (me included): Milenio-Novedades, Mérida edition, reports today that counterfeit 200 and 100 peso bills have been found circulating (at least in Mérida).

Which means? Become familiar with Mexican currency. Check any currency as you receive it in change. But then you probably do all that already, no matter in which country, and with which currency. Beyond that, it may be a better idea to try to get your pesos from a bank cashier rather than from an ATM. Milenio says folks claim receipt of counterfeit bills mixed in with currency received from ATMs. There is no way the bank will make good on such bills, as one would have no proof the false bills came from their ATM.

Aaron+

Sep 1, 2013, 11:38 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Counterfeit pesos

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, I sort of misspoke regarding receipt of a counterfeit bill from an ATM. There is a procedure for turning in ATM delivered counterfeits that can result, in theory, in your receiving an authentic bill for the counterfeit. See:
http://www.banxico.org.mx/...-49E464ABBECD%7D.pdf. (That link currently works; if it does not in the future, have fun trying to find the topic on the Banco de México website.)
Oh, I said "sort of"? Somehow I find the recommended process so dependent on the good humor of the private bank. So I show up within 5 days at a branch of the bank whose ATM delivered me a counterfeit fill, with a transaction receipt in hand plus ID, and the bank is really going to believe its ATM issued me the bill?l

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4