Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

sandyr

Aug 27, 2013, 5:34 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4543 views)

Shortcut

Consequences of not turning in Tourist Card at Border when driving

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have been driving roundtrips from Colorado to P.V. for many years but I just found out we were supposed to be turning in our Tourist Card (FMM) and there could be fines involved. We have never been fined or questioned related to outstanding tourist cards when entering Mexico, even though we have never presented the FMM upon leaving. However, we have always returned the temporary car permit (TIP). Does anyone know whether turning in a temporary car permit possibly cancels the FMM? Have we just been lucky by not getting caught yet? Other places on the internet have suggested the fines could be substantial. Is this an expensive time bomb waiting to explode during one of our future border crossings?

esperanza

Aug 27, 2013, 7:04 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandyr] Consequences of not turning in Tourist Card at Border when driving

Does anyone know whether turning in a temporary car permit possibly cancels the FMM? No.

Have we just been lucky by not getting caught yet? Yes.

Is this an expensive time bomb waiting to explode during one of our future border crossings? I would say no, but I would also say start turning it in!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Aug 27, 2013, 7:53 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4521 views)

Shortcut

Try crossing at Santa Teresa, NM and see how much it costs you if one of the two females catches on!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sandyr

Aug 27, 2013, 9:59 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Consequences of not turning in Tourist Card at Border when driving

Thanks, now that we understand the requirement, we will definitely be turning it in! I just hope it doesn't eventually come back to bite us.

sandyr

Aug 27, 2013, 10:01 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Consequences of not turning in Tourist Card at Border when driving

Appreciate the warning on where not to cross.

RickS

Aug 28, 2013, 7:11 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4479 views)

Shortcut

Actually Santa Teresa is a good place to cross, especially when looking at the alternative in that area! I think that chinagringo's point was that they may have personnel that pay attention to the details. I guess this could be a bad thing if one doesn't have their paperwork 'up to par'.

Aaron+

Aug 28, 2013, 8:37 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4458 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
"...However, we have always returned the temporary car permit (TIP). Does anyone know whether turning in a temporary car permit possibly cancels the FMM? Have we just been lucky by not getting caught yet?"

Reply:
You have quite correctly always turned in the TIP when driving out of Mexico.
Actually, terminating a FMM invalidates the associated TIP, but the TIP could remain in the Aduana's system if the TIP itself is not turned in.
Yes, doing both, surrendering the TIP and FMM on departure, is the way to avoid possible future problems on re-entry to Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4