Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

CozICan

Aug 27, 2013, 9:25 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3051 views)

Shortcut

Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola.... I am planning a trip to Morelia to celebrate firsthand the festivities of "Dia de los Muertos" in that area. Can anyone that lives in that area give me some ideas of where it is best to partake in the activities and what should be on my "To Do and See" list. Also, what towns nearby that specialize in various crafts should I plan to visit.

Also advice and info on "Patzcuaro" would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice you my have to offer me.

CozICan

CozICan

Aug 27, 2013, 10:51 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

Also, what kind of temperatures and weather should I expect to experience there at that time of year. Just wondering what type of clothes to bring.

Thanks again,

CozICan

esperanza

Aug 27, 2013, 3:21 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

Last things first: it can be very chilly in Morelia and Pátzcuaro in early November, so bring clothing you can layer. No shorts, it's a very conservative part of Mexico and you'll need long pants so as not to alarm the populace (and to keep you warm). I have been in Pátzcuaro when it poured rain ON the Noche de Muertos and played havoc with enjoying the ceremonies, so keep that in mind--i.e., bring an umbrella.

The traditional events for Noche de Muertos do not take place in Morelia. Morelia is a good jumping-off place, though, and has quite a few of its own events which you will enjoy. There is usually an event in Plaza San Agustín, usually a competition for the best altar of the dead in the Calzada, and usually several other events as well. On Av. Madero there is a Centro de Atención a Turistas (about three doors east of the Burger King) where you can pick up all kinds of good information, including maps of the area.

The truly traditional events take place around Pátzcuaro and its lake. The cemetery in Tzintzuntzan is the biggest site, with other, smaller sites in the cemeteries of smaller towns near the lake. Be prepared to spend nearly the entire night outside, where the events take place. And be prepared for crowds; Michoacán is halfway between the two largest cities in Mexico (Guadalajara and Mexico City) and draws more than 100,000 visitors to the Noche de Muertos events. Some visitors are quiet and respectful of the traditions and some just want a beer-fueled blowout. Those latter folks are definitely rude.

If you need a place to be your base while you stay in Morelia, I strongly recommend http://www.casonarosa.com/, located on a relatively quiet street in Morelia's Centro Histórico. I believe that the owner is organizing a Noche de Muertos cemetery trip for her guests; ask her, and tell her Cristina sent you.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Aug 28, 2013, 6:24 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

I want to echo Esperanza's advice in regards to layering. Some days can be quite warm but the evenings can be downright chilly.

I'm usually there each year, mostly because of out-of-town family and friends that want to partake of the events. Patzcuaro is a special place but it's absolutely magical at this time of the year.

CozICan

Aug 28, 2013, 9:01 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

Thank you for the feedback. I am getting excited about this trip.

CozICan

Anonimo

Aug 31, 2013, 1:03 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

It's already cold and wet here in the Pátzcuaro area. August 31, 2013.

Saludos,
Anonimo

RickS

Aug 31, 2013, 1:21 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

Would you define 'cold' in this context?

Anonimo

Aug 31, 2013, 4:41 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Morelia for "Dia de los Muertos"

In Reply To
Would you define 'cold' in this context?

I haven't got the exact day and night temperatures, but we sleep under two blankets and wear pullovers in the daytime. I have a watch cap on now. It has been raining an unusual amount in the last week or so.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4