Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

jvcnext

Aug 18, 2013, 9:48 AM

Post #1 of 79 (9949 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
I live in Puerto Escondido and recently got my Residente Permanente visa. Can I still drive my 2011 Honda to the border from the USA and get a temporary car permit and drive this car legally in Mexico as long as I take the car in and out within the time frame of the permit. I have been told I can no longer drive a foreign plated vehicle now that I have my permanent resident visa.

sparks

Aug 18, 2013, 10:00 AM

Post #2 of 79 (9941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jvcnext] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
>>>>> I have been told I can no longer drive a foreign plated vehicle now that I have my permanent resident visa.

That part is correct

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

RickS

Aug 18, 2013, 2:47 PM

Post #3 of 79 (9892 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Assuming that you are single or if married your spouse is also Permanente, it is correct that you cannot drive your foreign plated CR-V. In fact, that car became illegal in Mexico the moment you got your Permanente card.

If, however, you are married and your spouse is still FM2/3 or Temporal, then you can drive that car with impunity as long as the spouse does not come Permanente. NOTE: If the car was not already in the spouses name, it must be taken to the border, cleared and then re-imported in the name of the non-Permanenete spouse.

"Can I still drive my 2011 Honda to the border from the USA"
Assuming you are single then, as I said, your CR-V is illegal and you (or someone you designate) must remove it from Mexico. The legal way to do that is to obtain a Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) document from SAT (I believe). That 'free' document is designed to let you, even if you are Permanente, drive the car to a border and remove the temporary car permit (TIP) from your computer record. Once you receive the Retorno Seguro document you have 5 days to get to a border, never to import it (or anything) again. If the circumstances require, you can designate someone else to drive it to the border for you.

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 18, 2013, 5:03 PM)

sparks

Aug 18, 2013, 4:06 PM

Post #4 of 79 (9871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
Can you wait 3-5 months to use that Returno Seguro or is there a time limit to use it (get it)

RickS

Aug 18, 2013, 5:08 PM

Post #5 of 79 (9850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
Sparks I don't have an answer for that....I too have the same question.

It is my understanding that the Returno Seguro 'program' was not developed recently for this Permanente situation. It's been around for other situations where a car needed to be removed from Mexico.

What I don't know, and what you are probably asking, is will something 'trip' in a Permanente's 'file' if that vehicle's record isn't updated with an exit/cancellation action at a border.

Maybe someone will answer this important question.

sparks

Aug 18, 2013, 5:36 PM

Post #6 of 79 (9844 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have no idea at this point who is and how well connected the computers they have are. Guess I was just wondering what questions SRE might ask about why you need it.

Have a friend that would prefer to drive north around Xmas time rather than a month from now when he goes permanent.

YucaLandia

Aug 18, 2013, 7:11 PM

Post #7 of 79 (9818 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Can you wait 3-5 months to use that Returno Seguro or is there a time limit to use it (get it)

Unfortunately: Nope - no waiting to use it months later. Yes, there is a time limit - 5 day expiration date .

You apply at SAT/Hacienda, and they typically tell you to come back in 1 or 2 days to pick up the permit. The Retorno Seguro permit is issued for 5 business days - which gives you 1 calendar week to make the drive to the border.

A few SAT/Hacienda offices have said they need 4 days to prepare the Retorno Seguro permit, so, check with your SAT office to find out when to apply (in time for your planned travel).
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

tashby

Aug 18, 2013, 7:18 PM

Post #8 of 79 (9813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
I think the question is: After becoming Permanente, can you wait several months and THEN apply for the 5-day Retorno Seguro permit.

YucaLandia

Aug 18, 2013, 7:24 PM

Post #9 of 79 (9809 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I think the question is: After becoming Permanente, can you wait several months and THEN apply for the 5-day Retorno Seguro permit.

Whew... good clarification.

One can choose to apply for the 5-day Retorno Seguro permit at any time, regardless of the type of INM permit, or when we got the INM permit.

Fortunately, there have been very few vehicle confiscations of Residente Permanente's driving TIP cars without the Retorno Seguro permit. Unfortunately, driving an illegal car is not permitted by some major car insurance companies, leaving the driver without insurance protections (no coverage) if they get into an accident while driving illegally. The Retorno Seguro permit makes the vehicle legal, and makes the insurance valid.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

RickS

Aug 19, 2013, 9:00 PM

Post #10 of 79 (9701 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The question was answered definitively on TOB...... one does not immediately have to get the Retorno Seguro upon becoming Permanente but can wait to take the car to the border.... just don't drive it during that interim period. When ready, get the RS and then you have 5 days to get to the border and cancel the TIP.

Sculptari

Aug 21, 2013, 7:40 AM

Post #11 of 79 (9604 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To
"Fortunately, there have been very few vehicle confiscations of Residente Permanente's driving TIP cars without the Retorno Seguro permit. Unfortunately, driving an illegal car is not permitted by some major car insurance companies"

Insurance is no problem through Bancomer - a major insurer in Mexico.
Please provide a contact for anyone who has had a car confiscated for clearly and only for T.I.P. violation. There are many lawyers who feel this law, in it's present form, will not withstand judicial review. They are waiting to file amparos and their subsequent windfall if the Goverment continues on this course.
no longer active on Mexconnect

(This post was edited by Sculptari on Aug 21, 2013, 8:02 AM)

AlanMexicali

Aug 21, 2013, 8:07 AM

Post #12 of 79 (9589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To
"Fortunately, there have been very few vehicle confiscations of Residente Permanente's driving TIP cars without the Retorno Seguro permit. Unfortunately, driving an illegal car is not permitted by some major car insurance companies"

Insurance is no problem through Banamex - a major insurer in Mexico.
Please provide a contact for anyone who has had a car confiscated for clearly for T.I.P. violation. There are many lawyers who feel this law, in it's present form, will not withstand judicial review. They are waiting to file amparos and their subsequent windfall if the Goverment continues on this course.

I don´t know of anyone getting a vehicle impounded except one guy in 2006 in Culiacan. I do see many Texas plated vehicles parked inside the Federal Police compound at the interchange to the new cuota at Lagos de Moreno and see Texas plated vehicle parked in the compound on the south Mx. 57 at one of the Federal Police compounds here in San Luis Potosi. So I imagine the Federal Police now are being trained in INM visas and ADUANA TIP rules and impounding "chocolates" at least in these 2 locations. I also believe they are authorized to do so and call ADUANA in when impounding a "chocolate".

It appears things have changed recently.

A recent post from someone living in Chapala:

"Maybe this explains why there seem to be so many 'police' stops out on the SLP bypass on 57.

A friend just came through there coming south. He passed (going the other way) a police car. After a bit the police car whipped around and started coming after him and pulled him over. He examined his visa and car permit; also searched his car. Then, since my friends paperwork was in order (he had just got a new tourist FMM and TIP before coming south) he was told he could continue. My friend said the police were very professional in all this and there was no indication of any mordida."

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 21, 2013, 8:27 AM)

YucaLandia

Aug 21, 2013, 8:54 AM

Post #13 of 79 (9567 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Insurance is no problem through Bancomer - a major insurer in Mexico.
Please provide a contact for anyone who has had a car confiscated for clearly and only for T.I.P. violation. There are many lawyers who feel this law, in it's present form, will not withstand judicial review. They are waiting to file amparos and their subsequent windfall if the Goverment continues on this course.

Sculptari,
Bancomer insurance on a foreign-plated vehicle in Mexico illegally is a big problem.

Please read Bancomer's official, publicly published Insurance policy requirements for foreigners with foreign plated cars. Both Bancomer representatives and their website make it clear: They confirm Bancomer's written official policies that auto and truck coverage requires that the vehicle must be in Mexico legally:

"The only objects of this (insurance) agreement shall be foreign vehicles that are legally and temporarily within the country, ..."

http://tmkt.segurosbancomer.com/seguros/segu_autoseg_tur_req_en.asp

Bancomer and other insurers have made it clear that they will not cover the $$ liabilities for accident claims on Temporary Imported vehicles owned by Residente Permanentes, being driven in Mexico illegally. The required financial penalties (liabilities) for killing a person accidentally in a car accident are $5 million pesos (per person) in many states.

This is one case where incomplete and incorrect internet-forum advice can cause people big trouble.

It simply is not OK to drive an illegal car in Mexico,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 21, 2013, 8:59 AM)

Sculptari

Aug 21, 2013, 9:07 AM

Post #14 of 79 (9551 views)

Shortcut

|
Please check with Bancomer again - they are accepting UDC issued plates, at a cost of about $400 pesos a year, as 'legal' and insurable. They are apparently advertising this near the border. An extra step perhaps, but very easy.

This is one case where sticking to strict interpretations can lead to difficulties. I am more interested in outcomes - not speculation. In July of last year you reported that the son in law of your neighbor had his U.S. plated "$70,000 BMW Crossover" impounded and towed because it had been in Mexico over 180 days. What was the outcome there? How much did he have to pay, and did he find ever find the S.O.B. who phoned him in?

YucaLandia

Aug 21, 2013, 9:45 AM

Post #15 of 79 (9535 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Please check with Bancomer again - they are accepting UDC issued plates, at a cost of about $400 pesos a year, as 'legal' and insurable. They are apparently advertising this near the border. An extra step perhaps, but very easy.

This is one case where sticking to strict interpretations can lead to difficulties. I am more interested in outcomes - not speculation. In July of last year you reported that the son in law of your neighbor had his U.S. plated "$70,000 BMW Crossover" impounded and towed because it had been in Mexico over 180 days. What was the outcome there? How much did he have to pay, and did he find ever find the S.O.B. who phoned him in?

The UDC plates are an interesting option.
How do you deal with an Aduana/Federale combination who do not universally accept UDC plates for foreigners?

Can you document any accidents by foreign-plated Temporary Import Permit vehicles, with UCD plates, having large insurance claims approved by Bancomer for those accidents? Insurance companies love to use "fine print" exceptions and exemptions to not cover expensive claims.

Re the neighbor's car: The BMW was "bailed-out" of the impound lot after several weeks, and the (Mexican) owner renewed his Tamaulipas plates. The problem was that it had expired Tamaulipas plates - and had not been appropriately re-registered here in Yucatan. As described before: It never had anything with either foreigners, nor with being in Mexico over 180 days. I also did not know that some hypothetical "S.O.B." had turned anything in. The story told by the owner's uncle (also our neighbor) was that the BMW was just picked up in the govt's routine sweeps for cars that did not have legitimate registrations. ???
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 21, 2013, 9:59 AM)

Sculptari

Aug 21, 2013, 1:35 PM

Post #16 of 79 (9476 views)

Shortcut

|
UDC plates are not a form of political insurrection - they are saying 'this vehicle is in the process of being nationalized, and is protected from seizure while this procedure is in process'. The courts have accepted this, the insurance companies accept it, the UDC's are smart enough not to drag it on forever and could be assured the insurance companies are well paid, and with replacement values well under the fully nationalized amount.

Would I take UDC plates? On a 2011 Honda - probably not, it's too valuable to risk. On the other hand, I am into custom cars and highly unique vehicles. It's amazing in Mexico - so many bodies and chassis in excellent condition (because of the dry, cool weather in Central Mexico) so many talented workers and mechanics, working for very low rates and greatful for the work. I would probably start with a fully VINed and plated Mexican 'donor' car and go from there.

Sonia Diaz

Aug 22, 2013, 12:25 PM

Post #17 of 79 (9381 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It depends if you got a preapproval for the PR visa at a consulate and recently finalized in Puerto Escondido and the car permit has not expired. In this rare case you car is legal. The OP can live in Puerto Escondido and still have obtained a PR preapproval at a consulate. Many live in Mexico on FMM's and then have to return to a consulate to start visa process.

About 6 weeks ago a client was given preapproval for a Permanent Resident visa at a consulate. When entering Mexico she was given a car permit for 6 months, to mid December. Thinking that now she has her Permanent Resident visa her car is illegal, today she went to SAT in Celaya for a Returno Seguro. When there SAT employee said she did not need a Returno Seguro as the permit is good until December.

To confirm this she called from SAT and had me speak to the employee. The advice from SAT is if stopped by Federales she show her passport and car permit and not her PR visa. Her car is legal. NOTE: her car did not become illegal when she obtained her PR visa in this case.

NOTE: the car did no

In Mexico, nothing is black and white.

Sonia Diaz

cell: 044-415-106-1499

Facilitator: Seguro Popular healthcare; Immigration Visas; SAPASMA water bill reduction; Driver's License; Mexican car registration; Selling a foreign plated car in Mexico; Management Workshops similar to Laura Niño; Conversational Translation; Hacienda issues (taxation); Mexican Driving Record; Property Management; INAPAM; SRE expat approval process to buy property, etc. Fees: 300 to 600 pesos.

Cars: UCD plates and also Nationalizing NAFTA Made Vehicles; 1983 to 2007, no driving to the border

Dog Boarding: Just off Camino Alcocer at km 2.5 in a large, quiet, 11,0000 sq ft fenced, clean-air property with hundreds of open, adjoining hectares. Your pets (neutered or spayed) are part of our family and sleep in the house on their own beds. 180 pesos per night including food.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonia/252211011634302

(This post was edited by Sonia Diaz on Aug 22, 2013, 2:14 PM)

YucaLandia

Aug 22, 2013, 2:07 PM

Post #18 of 79 (9361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sonia Diaz] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
Good point about a Residente Permanente applicant at a Consulate, who still has their old temporary visa, being able to bring in a temporary import car. The Residente Permanente process is only started by the Consulates, and the applicant's temporary car only becomes illegal when they get their Residente Permanente card from INM in Mexico.

It doesn't matter in this case, since there was no Consulate involved, and the OP already has their card:
"I live in Puerto Escondido and recently got my Residente Permanente visa."

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 22, 2013, 2:08 PM)

sandyr

Aug 22, 2013, 10:16 PM

Post #19 of 79 (9284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sonia Diaz] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
Just today my wife and I went to the consulate in Denver to each apply for Permanent Residence. I didn't know at the time that having a Permanent Residence card means we can no longer import our car on a temporary basis. Anyway, will we be able to get a temporary permit to import our car when we head back to Mexico to finalize obtaining the Permanent Residence? If so, once it is finalized, will we be able to legally drive the car back to the border before the temporary automobile permit expires even though we now have a Permanent Residence card? Finally, there is now a Mexico Visa stamped in each of our US passports that has a classification of "Residencia Permanente". Is it too late to change one of our applications to "temporary" as we complete the process that takes place in Mexico? There might be an advantage to having one of us be a "temporary residence" when it comes to importing the car. Any insight is much appreciated!

YucaLandia

Aug 23, 2013, 6:14 AM

Post #20 of 79 (9259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandyr] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
The special visa that you have been given as a Residente Permanente applicant, is for 30 days inside Mexico. For that reason, Aduana gives you a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) that is for only 30 days. When you get your Residente Permanente at your INM office, (a process which usually takes more than 30 days), you cannot renew the 30 day TIP. If you do not receive your Residente Permanente before the 30 day TIP expires, then your TIP expires. These situations leave you with a vehicle with an expired TIP - and some large Mexican insurance companies use this as a reason to automatically cancel insurance coverage due to driving an illegal vehicle. When you choose to drive out of Mexico with your Residente Permanente cards, you can apply at your local SAT/Hacienda office for a 5 business day Retorno Seguro Permit: Safe Returns / Retorno Seguro Permits for Taking TIP Cars to the Border. The 5 day Retorno Seguro permit allows you to drive out legally.

It sounds like the Residente Permanente permit does not fit your plans to have a temporary foreign-plated (TIP) car in Mexico. If you really want the TIP car in Mexico: You can go to your Consulate, formally cancel your application for Residente Permanente, and start over, applying for Residente Temporal permits that allow you to have a foreign-plated car in Mexico. You can read details about these things at: New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 23, 2013, 6:22 AM)

careyeroslib

Aug 23, 2013, 6:37 AM

Post #21 of 79 (9242 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sandy, I wouldn´t rush to try to change one of you to Temporal. You´ve done all that paperwork so you need to think about it carefully.

The TIP stickers are issued by Banjercito. (You will note if you go to the SAT (Aduana) site, they redirect inquiries about temporary importation of vehicles by foreign citizens to the Banjercito website). There they have an online authorization fórm which, out of interest, I looked at and nowhere does it allow you to enter your Mexican residency status. You have to say the purpose of your visit and whether you want 7 or 180 days. (as well as other details such as citizenship and Passport number, etc.,) If you can get a TIP for 180 days I´d get it and take the time to think about what you want to do. From what I know, you have been pre-authorized to get Residente Permanente, but until the card is in your hands, it is not a done deal legally. (But you´ll get it, so no worries).

One thing I do know from experience is Federales (the pólice authorized to question these kinds of things) only care about your TIP being current (still within the 180 days). I know because I was stopped once, with an expired TIP, and was questioned. If you are ever stopped, they will just look at your windshield sticker and perhaps ask to see the TIP paperwork. Unlikely even to ask to see your Passport, or if they do, they will just look at the cover and wave you on.

Here´s the Banjercito website. You can even, I understand, get the TIP delivered to your home address in Denver. Others can better advise you on the logistics of this and crossing the border with your status (especially if you already have your TIP)

http://www.banjercito.gob.mx/

(This post was edited by careyeroslib on Aug 23, 2013, 6:45 AM)

sandyr

Aug 23, 2013, 8:12 AM

Post #22 of 79 (9214 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Steve,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. I certainly have found the information on yucalandia.com helpful.

The special visa both my wife and I have appears to have an expiration date that is 180 days from the date it was issued (yesterday). Is it possible the Aduana will issue a TIP that reflect that many days? Furthermore, I understand that I have 30 days from the date I cross the border to initiate the process with Mexican immigration to finalize the Residente Permanente permit. I'm just not sure at what point it becomes unlawful to drive our TIP car. Is it when we finally pick up the Residente Permanente permit or sometime sooner?

We have an older car (98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 190K miles) that I purchased new and maintained that I thought would be perfect for Mexico. I actually wouldn't mind paying the cost of permanently importing it. However, I know it is important to find a reputable broker and there appears to be one at the border crossing we would use. I certainly haven't decided this is what I want to do at this time, but if I did, will the special Visa I have even allow it? One might infer that it does since it is classified as a Residente Permanente visa. It says so right on it. However, since it's a special visa, maybe I am reading too much into it. After all, if that was true, it would suggest that this Special Visa could be used for both a TIP car and to permanently import a car.

Finally, another option is to keep the process for Residente Permanente permit going for either myself or my wife and cancel the process and go for a temporary permit for the other one of us. That would appear to give us the most flexibility.

So, in conclusion, do we know whether the "special" Visa I was just issued can be used to permanently import a car? Do we know at what time a TIP car would become unlawful if I decided to go that route? Final decisions one needs to make seem to hinge on subtle interpretations of the rules (or law).

sandyr

Aug 23, 2013, 8:25 AM

Post #23 of 79 (9209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Permanent Resident Card and Temporary car permit

| Private Reply
Careyeroslib,

Thank you for your reply and pointing out that the TIP stickers are issued by the Banjercito. Sometimes I get sloppy with my writing. We have been driving our car many times into Mexico and down the coast to Bucerias (just outside P.V.). Normally we just get a tourist card and a TIP, but we would really like to keep a car permanently down there. Then there are other considerations like the potential to someday avoid capital gains that got me going on the Residente Permanente permit. Anyway, it's difficult to get the answers to questions that have so many nuances (see my recent response to Steve). All input is appreciated!

(This post was edited by sandyr on Aug 23, 2013, 8:27 AM)

YucaLandia

Aug 23, 2013, 1:00 PM

Post #24 of 79 (9159 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Careyeroslib,

Thank you for your reply and pointing out that the TIP stickers are issued by the Banjercito. Sometimes I get sloppy with my writing. We have been driving our car many times into Mexico and down the coast to Bucerias (just outside P.V.). Normally we just get a tourist card and a TIP, but we would really like to keep a car permanently down there. Then there are other considerations like the potential to someday avoid capital gains that got me going on the Residente Permanente permit. Anyway, it's difficult to get the answers to questions that have so many nuances (see my recent response to Steve). All input is appreciated!

Are the Notarios in your specific area actually granting the Homeowners Gains Tax exemption to foreigner permanent residents / Residente Permanentes, when they sell their Mexican homes?

When we have asked this question since the Feb. 2010 ISR SAT tax law changes, there has not been a single positive reply describing any Notaries who are personally willing to risk their own personal finances $$ to approve the Homeowners gains tax waiver. The requirements to qualify for the Homeowners/Full-time Resident's exemption for gains taxes, ( gains from selling a house), are really difficult to meet.

The Notarios we have heard from say "No" to permanent residents who are still aliens/foreigners. They have all said that you must either be a Naturalized Citizen or that you must have a valid and likely-to-be-approved Naturalized Citizenship application pending with SRE.

Since the home Buyer is the one who generally picks the Notary, as Sellers, we cannot even go shopping to find a Notary who might consider approving you for the homeowner's exemption. Difficult requirements? In addition to being a citizen or near-citizen, you also have to prove that the home is your primary residence, and also prove that the home is your "principal place of fiscal activities".

There are significant deductions and depreciations that you can take to reduce the gains tax when you sell. The Homeowners exemption requirements and the deductions are described at: Capital Gains Taxes on Mexican Properties

You're making really good progress in your searches for information - moving closer to your good goals.
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

sandyr

Aug 23, 2013, 3:32 PM

Post #25 of 79 (9143 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Steve,

Thank you for that insight. That might seriously impact whether I want to go forward with the Permanent Resident permit. Other than the capital gain issue (which is obviously only relevant if we want to sell which is not consistent with enjoying our place and Mexico), the real goal was to be able to leave a car in Mexico. That seems to be more easily done with the Temporary Resident permit, although I have read the various pros and cons beyond the ability to just leave the car there. If one wants to permanently import a car, can it be done with just a tourist card or do I need either a permanent resident permit or a temporary resident permit? Or can it be done with the Permanent Resident visa which I just received? (as opposed to the Permanent Resident permit that I will only get after completing the permit process). I can't seem to find the answers to those questions.

Thanks again,

Sandy
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4