First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Aug 18, 2013, 8:12 AM

Post #1 of 56 (22118 views)

Shortcut

Itís time to say good-bye

| Private Reply
Itís time to say good-bye
Iíll be 82 this week, and that seems like a good time to turn in my moderatorís badge and retire from MexConnect.
After a dozen years prowling these forums, itís hard to leave. But the truth is Iím too old, too tired and too visually impaired to continue. I have learned a lot, shared some laughs and a few tears along the way. I have made many cyber friends here. I regret that I have met only 5 in person. 'llmiss you all.
Best wishes to all.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Aug 18, 2013, 8:20 AM

Post #2 of 56 (22096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Itís time to say good-bye

| Private Reply
Good bye, friend.

Year-in, year-out, you have set the standard for expats across Mexico.

You have given us:
~ Timely answers, supported by hours and hours of careful research completed before you write.

~ High, high quality information on the key topics that directly affect us.

~ Practical advice on how make our lives in Mexico run more smoothly.

~ Your dedication to professional responses.

~ Your sage advice ...

* * * * Well Done ! * * * *

Know that you are deeply appreciated, and that you will be much missed.

All the Best,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 18, 2013, 8:27 AM)

Anonimo

Aug 18, 2013, 8:41 AM

Post #3 of 56 (22076 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you, Rolly, for the many years of wise counsel you have offered us.

Anonimo

johanson

Aug 18, 2013, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 56 (22069 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Darn, you shall be missed by us all. You have spent a lot of your time helping others, myself included. Thanks so much by all that you have done for us.

I wish you best in your future endeavors

Pete

cbviajero

Aug 18, 2013, 8:54 AM

Post #5 of 56 (22068 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for all the information and help you have provided to hundreds of us over the years,you'll be missed.

bournemouth

Aug 18, 2013, 8:57 AM

Post #6 of 56 (22065 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You will be missed so much - it seems that you've always been here for Mexconnect folk. Take care of yourself and Happy Birthday.

La Isla

Aug 18, 2013, 9:19 AM

Post #7 of 56 (22052 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Maybe we should say, "hasta luego" instead of "adiůs", Rolly. Thanks for all your help over the years since I moved back to Mexico and made her my home. Enjoy your retirement from Mexconnect.

Aaron+

Aug 18, 2013, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 56 (22046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Itís time to say good-bye

| Private Reply
With La Isla, I am not prepared to say good bye to you, Rolly.

No, we have never met, but I have regarded you as a friend, or at least a friendly presence, over the years since I first discovered your personal website and your contributions to the first edition of the Living in Mexico guide. Owing first to waits to uncover what was really happening with immigration law, and now, I suppose, to your health, I take it that we will never see that second edition.

I hope that in the years that lie ahead, that you sense that we are out here, throughout Mexican and in other countries, all of us who have grown to respect, even to love you. That you sense our consciousnesses and caring for you. You have been of great assistance to so many and have asked, and perhaps received, so little in return. To me, that is proof of your stature, your greatness. °Feliz cumpliaŮos!

sparks

Aug 18, 2013, 9:58 AM

Post #9 of 56 (22034 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sure will miss you Rolly and and glad you got us thru all these Immigration changes. Relax and enjoy what time you have left.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

esperanza

Aug 18, 2013, 10:23 AM

Post #10 of 56 (22020 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly, mi amigo y fiel compaŮero! More than anyone else on any website, you have taught me what it means to have an online presence. Always generous, always truthful, always even-tempered, always kind, you are an example for the rest of us of appropriate Internet behavior. Thank you for that, and thank you for everything you've done for Mexconnect. There's not a person who posts here who has not been positively influenced by your devotion to your own website and this one.

Miss you? There will be a huge hole in the forums, a hole just your shape and size. Take really good care of yourself, dear Rolly, and let your Mexican family take good care of you, too. One day we'll meet--maybe not in this lifetime, but surely somewhere along the way. God bless and Godspeed, and much love to you.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Teo

Aug 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

Post #11 of 56 (21996 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly, There are not enough words to thank you for all you've contributed to MexConnect and educating us about the wonders of Mexico. You will be missed so much. Best of luck in the future and I hope you are happy and comfortable in the quiet years ahead of you.

morgaine7

Aug 18, 2013, 11:47 AM

Post #12 of 56 (21991 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Wow, Rolly, this place definitely won't be the same without you. You've done a fantastic job and will be strongly missed. I hope you'll check in from time to time as a non-moderator, and also continue posting on rollybrook.com as you can. Oh, and °feliz compleaŮos!

Kate

yucatandreamer

Aug 18, 2013, 11:48 AM

Post #13 of 56 (21989 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Best wishes for your birthday and I, like so many others, will miss you.
Charlotte

citlali

Aug 18, 2013, 11:58 AM

Post #14 of 56 (21985 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly , it has been a pleasure knowing you, I hope you can will still visit and post once in a while. We will miss you if you donīt!

Cezanita

Aug 18, 2013, 12:17 PM

Post #15 of 56 (21976 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
En hora buena Rolly. Con lagrimas en los ojos te canto las golondrinas y las maňanitas a la vez. Gracias por todo y que disfrutes tu nueva vida con tu familia. Thank you for sharing your generosity and knowledge with your Mexconnect family. Blessings and love!

DavidMcL

Aug 18, 2013, 12:40 PM

Post #16 of 56 (21971 views)

Shortcut

You are wonderful!

| Private Reply
Dear Rolly;
You preempted Tony and I, so I will repeat our emails to you on here:

David has beaten me to a reply (and expressed it so much better than I could), so I can only echo everything he has said.

I'm sure that sometimes even your reserves of patience must have have been getting close to exhausted after all you've (over)seen on MXC's forums. Your profound knowledge, great tact and gentleness are the standard by which all moderators of Internet forums evereywhere now have to be judged! You have set the bar so high that few will manage to come close.

Legions of MXCers and readers of your website have been well advised by you over the years, and I'm sure you saved a good many of them $$ that they might otherwise have squandered on lawyers, accountants and therapists!

Have a wonderful birthday celebration next month with your family and friends in Lerdo. Like David, I regret never having had the chance (yet) to meet face-to-face, but your website and stories have been the next best thing.

You have been so generous in giving your time, energy and advice to MSC and to everyone interested in Mexico; you will be missed, but never forgotten!

I hope you will continue to post occasionally so that we can keep up with the news of you, your students and your dining out adventures,

Warmest regards,
Tony

Dear, Dear Rolly;

Tony and I are so grateful to you for all the incredible time and energy and love of Mexico that you have brought to MexConnect. Your commitment has been without equal over the time you have been involved. To ask you to become a moderator has been one of my better decisions!

You are truly the voice of MexConnect and have brought an integrity and well reasoned personality to the forums that has fostered a community that you can be proud of. Tony and I certainly are. Despite the occasional "out there" presence, you have managed the energy of the posters in a gentle and informative way that has been exemplary for all of us who moderate.

You will be missed. Please feel free to post as yourself at any time. Your moderator status will remain as long as MexConnect continues.

As for the hosting of your site, that will continue as promised.

I am so proud of you and what you have done Rolly. I miss you already.

To be 82 and have affected so many people both on line and personally with your "children" will be a permanent testimonial to the size of your heart and humanity.

I am sorry to have never had the opportunity to meet you in person and to have spent time with you in your community of choice. But then who knows? There is always tomorrow!

Be well Rolly. Celebrate your birthday with all the gusto of a 50 year old and may each and every day bring you comfort, love, and excellent food.

With love, and please keep in touch
David
David McL
WebJefe

mcm

Aug 18, 2013, 12:58 PM

Post #17 of 56 (21970 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Happy Birthday!
Yes, you will be missed on Mexconnect.
I've enjoyed your presence from the days of your early reports on building your house, and have valued your common sense, and low key, straightforward advice and direction.
You've been an example of ''moderation'' throughout!
Best wishes for the future years

tashby

Aug 18, 2013, 1:22 PM

Post #18 of 56 (21962 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dear Rolly,

I had for a long time dreamed of living in Mexico, and now I do. You helped make that happen. We have all benefited so much from your hard work, kindness, patience and generosity. You've made dreams come true for a lot of people. Please know that in your enormous heart.

Thank you for everything.

Now, enjoy yourself!

eyePad

Aug 18, 2013, 2:03 PM

Post #19 of 56 (21918 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly, thank you for everything you've done for Mexconnect.

RickS

Aug 18, 2013, 2:27 PM

Post #20 of 56 (21907 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly, it's true that words cannot come close to doing the justice you deserve in the Mexconnect-world. And for me there is also 'the rest of the story'. Your story that started in California as you befriended and helped the young Mexican men with jobs, etc. And when it came time for you to depart that scene, your kindness was repaid with the offer to 'go south' and begin another life of giving.

You are a jewel and a gift to humanity. Just your presence will be so missed.

Take care and adiůs.

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 18, 2013, 3:42 PM)

Marishka

Aug 18, 2013, 3:05 PM

Post #21 of 56 (21888 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Rolly, I've benefited so much from reading your book, your website and your many informative posts on this board. Thank you for having such a giving spirit, and for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I refuse to say adiůs, because I hope you'll drop by to visit the Mexconnect community de vez in cuando.

°Feliz cumpleaŮos!

stevebrtx

Aug 18, 2013, 3:31 PM

Post #22 of 56 (21868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marishka] Itís time to say good-bye

| Private Reply
Rolly, all the best to you and my thanks for these past years of sage advice and your patience at times. There will always be an empty place here because no one can fill your shoes. I wish you happiness and many more years.

CanuckBob

Aug 18, 2013, 4:04 PM

Post #23 of 56 (21849 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Adios Rolly, I hope you will continue to visit us on Inside Lakeside!!!

Bob

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

Gringal

Aug 18, 2013, 5:06 PM

Post #24 of 56 (21834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Itís time to say good-bye

| Private Reply
And another grateful poster wishing you well....Thank you.

rockydog85251

Aug 18, 2013, 6:37 PM

Post #25 of 56 (21800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Itís time to say good-bye

| Private Reply
Rolly, you are going to be sorely missed by all. I will continue to recommend your website, book and wonderful past posts here.
Thank you for a wonderful job guiding us along the way!!!

Best,
Willie
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4