Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Aug 12, 2013, 7:16 AM

Post #1 of 12 (6038 views)

Shortcut

Customs information when driving into Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have two questions I need information on

Does every box of household goods and clothing need to be labeled with content and if so, in how much detail? We are bringing a few boxes of dishes, pots and pans and bath goods plus at least 6 months of clothing for each of us. And an old wooden table for our kitchen. I was told some years back that we needed everything listed, both in English and Spanish, and we needed a few copies of the list/ Is this the case?

Second question. Is there any reports of any problems crossing at Cludad Juarez/ I'm thinking of crossing about 6 a.m. ?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

chinagringo

Aug 12, 2013, 7:22 AM

Post #2 of 12 (6037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Customs information when driving into Mexico

Why? Of all the choices one has on where to cross the border, you are picking the most dangerous and biggest nightmare!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Mexicanbill

Aug 12, 2013, 9:39 AM

Post #3 of 12 (5998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Customs information when driving into Mexico

It really was not my choice. My wife's family (From Puerto Vallarta) has suggested we cross there and meet them on the other side and they will be our guides for the rest of the trip. It was also highlighted on my AAA map, that I received a few years back. If I Can get them to change their minds how is Nogales? or, third choice Eagle Pass?

Aaron+

Aug 12, 2013, 11:02 AM

Post #4 of 12 (5982 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, but I shared chinagringo's reaction. Try Eagle Pass preferably, or even Nogales. If wife's family offers no choice (are they trying to off you folks?), load up with gas and travel food in the USA, and get the down the highway out of CdJ as fast as legally possible.

Mexicanbill

Aug 12, 2013, 1:24 PM

Post #5 of 12 (5967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Customs information when driving into Mexico

Thanks, I have talked her into Eagle Pass. I'll start working on a new map this afternoon.

sioux4noff

Aug 12, 2013, 6:13 PM

Post #6 of 12 (5940 views)

Shortcut

When we moved, we numbered every box, and made a corresponding detailed inventory sheet.
Good luck with your travels. I hope the in laws plan better for the rest of the trip than the border crossing.

robt65

Aug 19, 2013, 9:14 PM

Post #7 of 12 (5470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Customs information when driving into Mexico

Hello Mexicanbill,

I did the same as sioux4noff and had no problems what so ever. I even made a duplicate list of each boxes contents and taped on all visible sides of the boxes as well as on top. I think that was much appreciated. Several years ago Rolly presented this list which I copied for my importation of goods for Aduana. Without a doubt this saved many hours of unpacking and repacking my 16 foot enclosed double axel cargo trailer of all my household goods. I saw many of folks with their goods unpacked outside their trailers and vehicles waiting to be inspected. It was a hot humid day and I so dreaded having to also have to do the same thing as it was only me and four people helped me load it all. I was so thankful to Rolly for this excellent post. http://rollybrook.com/menaje.htm After seeing Rolly's post and taking the time to make sure all was correct, when I got to the border, I dropped the rear ramp door and opened the side door for Aduana to inspect. Aduana only picked a few boxes to look at compared the goods inside with my list and then approved the total of almost 5000 lbs. of household goods. I could have kissed Rolly if he were within arms reach. Please don't tell him that !!!!! (smiling) Thanks again Rolly, many, many thanks.

P.S., I still make the same detailed lists today, as I return from the USA into Mexico after several hours of shopping for the wife and I and the children and always had it ready, even a copy for Aduana, and have never one time had any of my loads opened or inspected. I believe it is solely due to the good lesson that Rolly taught me about listing and having all receipts and lists ready for Aduana. I really believe they appreciate that. I don't think they want to have you open and inspect all of your goods unless you are a smart a$$ or look as if you could be a bad guy, any more than you want them to do it. in other words dress appropriate also as you cross the border, treat the officer's with respect and the same respect will be shown to you. Don't wait for the red light to come on and for the bells to ring. Drive into the inspection line immediately and own up to it and pay the duty, it is fast and easy.

Regards,

Robt65
San Juan del Rio
Querétaro

(This post was edited by robt65 on Aug 19, 2013, 9:19 PM)

Mexicanbill

Aug 20, 2013, 7:08 PM

Post #8 of 12 (5393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Customs information when driving into Mexico

Over the years I have learned a lot from Rolly and this list will help me with some spelling problems for sure. Thanks for sharing.

robt65

Aug 20, 2013, 9:10 PM

Post #9 of 12 (5383 views)

Shortcut

Hello Mexicanbill,

Your not alone in that Mexican spelling department either. (smiling) If you are ever into building or remodeling a home down here make sure you look at his sections on Mexican English - Mexican Spanish Illustrated Glossary of Building Terms cab be found here. This was a great help to me and continues to be. It can be found here. http://rollybrook.com/building_directory.htm

Regards,

Robt65 San Juan del Rio,
Querétaro

careyeroslib

Aug 21, 2013, 12:24 PM

Post #10 of 12 (5357 views)

Shortcut

Between 2007 and 2012 we drove back and forth from Canada to Puerto Vallarta and our car was always jam-packed with the kinds of things you list and we never had a list. About all we did was take things out of their boxes so they look like used stuff, and try not to bring multiples of any one thing so that it looks as if you might be selling it.

The first time we crossed, in 2001, we had a list and the only thing the agent expressed interest in was refacciones. It was extra car parts in case our car broke down, but he wondered, I guess, if we were importing. He couldn´t care less about our microwave, our televisión, our clothes.

As for Ciudad Juarez, I would ask that as a separate question. From what I have Heard, Juarez is erlatively quiet these days. In 2007 we flew from Vallarta to Juarez and then walked across the border, but that was before the violence.

But do ask this as a separate question. Altahabana may know more, even though he lives in Nuevo Laredo, but he may not see this post as it has to do with Customs.

Beachmutt

Aug 27, 2013, 2:34 PM

Post #11 of 12 (5137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Customs information when driving into Mexico

We have been driving from California to Playa del Carmen area every year for the past seven years. We originally would cross at Nuevo Progresso/Weslaco TX but two years ago, the insurance agent from Sanborn's told us that they would issue us a policy, but that if anything happened to us while in Tamaulipas, that we would not be covered. So we started crossing at Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass and have used that the last two years and have not had a problem. Eagle Pass is about eight or nine hours maybe from El Paso? I would avoid Ciudad Juarez at all costs, for anything, ever. Nogales is not much better. Just cross early in the morning, and try to avoid crossing on a Friday or Saturday. We usually cross on a Sunday and all is quiet. Also, we get our car import sticker online before we leave so don't have to spend time at aduana taking care of that - just get our visas and we're good to go. And if you apply online, they will issue the import sticker for 180 days and then your tourist visa is good for 180 days also. There are new FM regulations and visa rules, and they are now only issuing tourist visas for 30 days - they caught on that people were living there continuously for years just heading to the border and renewing the 180 day visa. Good luck with your travels and stay safe.

Mexicanbill

Aug 27, 2013, 4:55 PM

Post #12 of 12 (5114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Beachmutt] Customs information when driving into Mexico

Thanks, I got the online part do, have the sticker, it's already on the window ready for the trip. The sticker is good from Sept 9, 2012 until March 13, 2014 so that is how long we plan to stay. I am packing everything in boxes, I am taking more than one pair of shorts etc. because I am a big guy and find it hard to find cloths my size in Mexico. We'll see how it goes. I know I will pay something when I declare it, just not sure how much.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4