Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Maesonna

Aug 11, 2013, 8:46 PM

Post #1 of 13 (16748 views)

Shortcut

Learning Spanish from telenovelas

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is one person’s experience teaching himself Spanish from telenovelas. It’s not a short-cut; he worked at it and studied as hard as anyone taking an intensive course. But I think that the person who decided to tackle this method would find it very motivating and functional for several reasons: 1) you’d surely experience steady improvement; 2) the practicality – you’d be learning useful, everyday colloquial vocabulary and expressions; and 3) the entertainment; as you progressed, you’d get caught up in the story, and you’d be motivated to keep on so you can find out what happens to the characters.

esperanza

Aug 11, 2013, 9:12 PM

Post #2 of 13 (16745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

When I taught Spanish, I always told my students that a painless way to learn vocabulary was to watch one or two telenovelas (soap operas) in Spanish. The words match the actions, the language is colloquial, and a telenovela can be quite fun and insightful about some aspects of day-to-day life in Mexico--if the show is set in Mexico. Enjoy!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

norteño

Aug 11, 2013, 11:17 PM

Post #3 of 13 (16740 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

And remember, if you have the capability set the closed captions in Spanish.

eyePad

Aug 12, 2013, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 13 (16707 views)

Shortcut

They are addicting. After watching a few, I HAVE to see the next one. But they are good lessons; you are getting coloquial full-on Spanish.

tashby

Aug 12, 2013, 9:25 PM

Post #5 of 13 (16702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

Okay. So I've always wanted to do this, especially now as a supplement to everything else I'm doing to try to learn/absorb Spanish.

So. Can anybody recommend a "good" Telenovela?

Of course, it needs to be Mexican Spanish, set it Mexico. But also, by "good" I mean....is there a currently popular Telenovela that deals in contemporary issues as well, and isn't just limited to the old-school stuff?

Who recommends which Soap Opera? And where/when would I find it on regular Mexico TV?

cbviajero

Aug 13, 2013, 7:59 AM

Post #6 of 13 (16678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

In Reply To

Of course, it needs to be Mexican Spanish, set it Mexico. But also, by "good" I mean....is there a currently popular Telenovela that deals in contemporary issues as well, and isn't just limited to the old-school stuff?

You might check out (Lo que callamos las mujeres)mon-fri 5 pm,Azteca 13,there's also an entertaining women's talk show called Netas Divinas thur 9:30 pm Unicable,I can tell when when my wife is watching it just from hearing her carcajadas.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Aug 13, 2013, 9:59 AM)

esperanza

Aug 13, 2013, 12:30 PM

Post #7 of 13 (16654 views)

Shortcut

Unlike the soap operas in the USA, the soap operas in Mexico have a beginning and an END. I'll keep my eye on the newspaper and let you know what has either just started or is just about to start, so you get in at the beginning.

My favorite--a million years ago--was La Esclava Isaura, from Brazil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFKbRe8E1M

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 13, 2013, 1:18 PM)

tashby

Aug 14, 2013, 8:33 PM

Post #8 of 13 (16611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

Thanks for those, cbviajero.

Now, when I really think about it honestly with myself, being "locked into" a TV schedule is probably why this is something I've never done. And 5pm is the worst time of day for my brain.

Maybe I'll just poke around the channels and see if something sticks.

esperanza

Aug 14, 2013, 10:03 PM

Post #9 of 13 (16603 views)

Shortcut

A new telenovela started on Televisa tonight--name is Touch. Check your channels, it will be on Wednesday nights at 11PM.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 14, 2013, 10:03 PM)

tashby

Aug 15, 2013, 7:24 AM

Post #10 of 13 (16589 views)

Shortcut

Thanks. Errr.....11pm?!??!!!

I look and see if they replay it during the day.

rayitodeluna

Sep 2, 2013, 3:15 PM

Post #11 of 13 (16329 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for those, cbviajero.

Now, when I really think about it honestly with myself, being "locked into" a TV schedule is probably why this is something I've never done. And 5pm is the worst time of day for my brain.

Maybe I'll just poke around the channels and see if something sticks.

This is exCtly why I never followed a show, even in the states. I HATE having a schedule to follow that revolves around a TV show ;)

That being said, when we were still living with the inlaws I got pulled into Amores Veraderos. It was good, I w actually kinda sad when it ended. And watching it really helped me to speak like other people my own age (I learned Spanish primarily from my MIL and SIL , but my SIL doesnt get out much so she speaks almost exactly like her own mother. Not that that is a bad thing, just an observation!)

I really did learn alot though from watching it, I tell people wanting to learn English here to watch all movies and channels in English they can.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

tashby

Sep 2, 2013, 6:52 PM

Post #12 of 13 (16313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [norteño] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

How do you set closed captions? How do I find which shows have them and which don't? (I apologize for these questions, but I bought a brand new TV for us last Christmas and only barely know how to turn it on.)

I'm thinking about using this approach with a different show.

Lorraine84

Jan 24, 2015, 2:02 PM

Post #13 of 13 (11024 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Learning Spanish from telenovelas

I've had some success with this too. The plot lines are just unbearably bad.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4