Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

oregonative

Aug 10, 2013, 3:50 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3640 views)

Shortcut

Travel Questions for Extensive Open-ended 11/13 Trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
Newbie to this site, so pls excuse any forum errors. I'd like to contact ppl in the areas I will be visiting, asking various questions. First question: Flying into Puerto Vallarta for my first stop, I'd appreciate recommendations for a pleasant budget hotel in the old town area within walking distance to the beach. I'm traveling alone, mid-age female. I stayed at Hotel Rosita in the past, on my way to Yalapa, but don't want to stay there again.

chicois8

Aug 11, 2013, 6:49 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oregonative] Travel Questions for Extensive Open-ended 11/13 Trip

I always liked the hotel Rio, 1/2 block to the malecon and 1/2 a block to the bridge..

http://www.hotelrio.com.mx/
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

oregonative

Aug 11, 2013, 5:10 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Travel Questions for Extensive Open-ended 11/13 Trip

Thx, I'll check it out. Any other suggestions? My favorite Vallarta things are a beach palapa, cerveza, and a shrimp cocktail.

tashby

Aug 11, 2013, 5:51 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3541 views)

Shortcut

Depends what you mean by "walking distance" to the beach. For some people that's less than ten minutes, for others no more than a block. I've stayed at the Hotel Posada de Roger and been satisfied with it.

http://www.hotelposadaderoger.com/

oregonative

Aug 12, 2013, 7:36 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Travel Questions for Extensive Open-ended 11/13 Trip

Hotel Posada Roger looks very interesting; I've seen positive mention of it either in a magazine or travel book. Hotel Rio also looks very nice, and is closer to my price range. I want to start my trip in Puerto Vallarta in order to really relax amid some beauty before I start busing long distances.

Since I have several cities on my itinerary, is it appropriate to keep asking questions in this thread, or should I begin a new thread for each one? (I don't want to be a pest.) I have traveled throughout Mexico quite a bit over the years and always use a travel book as a general guide (taken with a grain of salt), and search out my own hotels by walking and looking, but on this trip I thought it would be nice to make my choices ahead of time, using others' experience.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Planning a loose itinerary IS half the fun of traveling.

tashby

Aug 12, 2013, 9:07 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3435 views)

Shortcut

Ask whatever questions you like! Planning a loose itinerary is spectacularly fun.

Welcome to Mexconnect.

There's tons of experience here. So here's a tip: the better you ask your question, the better the answers you receive. When you say "budget hotel" that's vague.....everybody's budget is different. For some it might mean "under $200 US"...other's "no more than $500 MXN", or even less. Same with "walking distance to the beach".

It just depends.

Have fun picking people's brains. People here love sharing what they know and the favorite stuff and places they've found.

oregonative

Aug 12, 2013, 10:10 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Travel Questions for Extensive Open-ended 11/13 Trip

This felt like a good site with lots of knowledgeable people. My plan (so far) includes, not in this order, San Cristobal, Oaxaca, Puerto Morales, Guanajuato, Xilitla area, Coba, Ek Balam and Rio Bec archeological zones, and more, spending tiiiiiiiiime in each area. Should I create a separate thread for each?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4