Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

GringoCArlos

Aug 9, 2013, 5:05 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3594 views)

Shortcut

Heads up on border travel

Can't Post | Private Reply
A heads up from Robt65 today (Friday 09 August) - if you are traveling north towards any of the border crossings in the Reynosa to Matamoros area, additional checkpoints may add 4 or 5 hours to your trip. He said there are big traffic backups at every checkpoint between Monterrey and Reynosa. Robt65 also said these additional Federales/military checkpoints have been in place for a week or two now.

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Aug 9, 2013, 5:07 PM)

Goyo

Aug 9, 2013, 11:41 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] Heads up on border travel

good to know that Mexconnect has its own halcones. now we know the military movements. next? maybe PJR retenes or PF movements?

robt65

Aug 10, 2013, 4:48 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goyo] Heads up on border travel

Nah, changed my mind . . . . . not even worth responding to.

robt65

robt65

Aug 10, 2013, 8:19 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3431 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] Heads up on border travel

I just returned today from McAllen, TX driving along Cuota E/W 40, around the Northern periferico of Monterrey, and south along Hwy 57 on all the Cuota's available down to San Juan del Rio, Querétaro. Great trip all the way. Normal medium traffic most of the way home. I did note the opposite direction traffic at all three check points (one Marine, and Army, and one Federal Police, were backed up from 1 to 2 kilometers. Down to one lane of traffic and having to pass through (slowly) X ray machines as well as an explosives detector. Not a normal smaller military unit, but a rather large contingent, more like a company size (60 to 80) men and well equipped with galley, dinning facilities, etc. They're sure not on a weekend campout! Looks like they are there for awhile anyway. Traffic moving very slowly on the east bound side. When I went NOB last week, they were just setting up house and there was no slowdown at all hardly. When I cam back this weekend, traffic was backed up a lot. Couple that with two other (just as slow and thorough) check points before entering Reynosa, as well as a 2 to 2.5 hour wait time to get through the USA side border and . . . . . . . well lets just say pack a lunch and plenty to drink! All in all, I would not be surprised to see a four to five hour extra driving time to get NOB through any crossing point from Reynosa and eastward.

Traffic west bound was very light along Hwy 40, and the periferico North of Monterrey. Southbound on Cuota 57 the traffic was about normal, but south of Matehuala today in the morning traffic was fairly heavy. A few road construction miles on the southbound side, but all was moving well except the Cuota between San Miguel exit to 57 (Mexico) which was slow going and in one place, just past the casita, a complete stop for about 15 minutes.

All in all, total driving time between Reynosa and Matehuala Friday about 7 hours. I left rather late from Reynosa at 10:30 AM and arrived in Matehuala at around 5:30 PM. Stayed overnight at my favorite bright yellow colored hotel (Hotel Don Juan - Just South of town on the right), Had a great chicken salad dinner with crème de lote soup, coffee and went back for some sleep at the hotel. Friday, the drive south between Matehuala and San Juan del Rio, Querétaro (using the cuota's), I left at around 7:30 AM and arrived in San Juan del Rio, at around 1:30 PM.

Hope that helps some folks.

Regards,

Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Aug 10, 2013, 11:58 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4