Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

margojean

Aug 1, 2013, 7:29 AM

Post #1 of 21 (4258 views)

Shortcut

Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
See this website

http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html

Stunning current (2012) data on how much safer Mexico is than US and Canada, in terms of murder, kidnapping and rape.

Sources listed
  • U.N. World Health Organization
  • RRS y Associados-Prominix
  • U.S. FBI
  • U.S. State Department
  • NationMaster.com
  • USA Today

margojean

bronco

Aug 1, 2013, 10:00 AM

Post #2 of 21 (4230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [margojean] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
apparenty mexico has one of the highest murder rates in the world. then again, all depends upon "where" you choose to visit, how you travel. stats either way mean nothing. the US is a huge country, we all dont live in detroit. mexico is a large country. we all dont live in jaurez. driving to airport near guad can be dangerous, driving in arizona may be as well. silly talk, redundent.

margojean

Aug 1, 2013, 10:26 AM

Post #3 of 21 (4213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
You do not see the US issuing "do not travel" notices to Orlando (murder rate 28 per 100k), or New Orleans (49 per 100k) or DC (21 per 100K), or the Caribbean Islands listed, all higher than Mexico in general or Jalisco in particular (both 14 murders per 100k population).

You do not see US or Canadian travel warnings to US or areas, where tourist are definitely at risk What we DO see are US "do not travel" warnings for the State of Jalisco - remember - 14 per 100k - and victims here are almost entirely persons involved in the drug trade, including the tourist victims. And the US and Canadian media deal with anecdotes, not statistics.

This is NOT silly. It is misleading. It is harmful to the Mexican economy, and to the well-being of our Gringo enclaves here. These US warnings are politically and economically motivated, and distorted in presentation. Why else are they concentrated at Thanksgiving and Spring Break weeks?
margojean

bronco

Aug 1, 2013, 12:13 PM

Post #4 of 21 (4195 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
new orleans is not a resort area, its a pit. isnt disney world in orlando? mex travel warnings are in "trip advisor" websight. if anything, those folks WANT people to travel. (havnt checked the carib section of that site, we should do that). dont you get it? so much is globalized, hotel chains etc. the most serious warnings i see are on chapala.com webboard. the expats know the roads, what goes on there. the US consulate issues warnings as well. the border towns are dangerous. sorry, there are infinite victims who were NOT in drug trade. there is a big difference between a 5star on the mayan riveria/los cabos, a cheap apt in the inner city of chapala. am i "afraid" to travel in mexico? not really. i have taken the ETN to san miquel allende several times. mexico is a place, not a new age religion. i dont care about its economic cycles, im not an investor. cant see how this affects the "well being" of "gringo enclaves". the less people who visit this area, the better.

Chapala Payaso

Aug 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

Post #5 of 21 (4084 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"the less people who visit this area, the better"

Amen to that, especially the ones who drive here.

citlali

Aug 3, 2013, 2:56 PM

Post #6 of 21 (4055 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
My family visits every year and those afraid of Mexico should stay away.

bronco

Aug 3, 2013, 3:19 PM

Post #7 of 21 (4052 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
the so called mex ecomony benefits from "visitors" who go to the fast food joints. several private owned restuarants yes. but mainly the 7/11s, dominos, gas stations, walmex, chain pharms, mostly the global businesses. there is NO hope in this change.

esperanza

Aug 3, 2013, 6:41 PM

Post #8 of 21 (4022 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
the so called mex ecomony benefits from "visitors" who go to the fast food joints. several private owned restuarants yes. but mainly the 7/11s, dominos, gas stations, walmex, chain pharms, mostly the global businesses. there is NO hope in this change.

Bronco, could you tell me what this post means? I don't understand.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Chapala Payaso

Aug 3, 2013, 8:14 PM

Post #9 of 21 (4004 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
" there is NO hope in this change." Nor in the US for that matter.

bronco

Aug 4, 2013, 1:22 PM

Post #10 of 21 (3921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
thankyou again for "getting" it. no more said. i dont support corps, i support the indivual. monster chains (open all night), cheap travel, for what? to feed the globalist agenda. thats it folks, im done for this topic.

Gringal

Aug 10, 2013, 1:17 PM

Post #11 of 21 (3649 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Due to a death in the family, my spouse and I just spent a week in CA after a ten year absence from the U.S.
We were introduced to prices that were jaw dropping. People seemed too stressed to enjoy life. Traffic was appalling.
We were ready to kiss the ground when we arrived "home" in Ajijic last evening.
If people choose to live in fear, anywhere, they are paying interest on a debt not yet incurred. Yes, there are places to be avoided in the U.S. and in Mexico. Good sense never hurts.

sam.I.am

Aug 10, 2013, 4:04 PM

Post #12 of 21 (3621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

|

In Reply To
Due to a death in the family, my spouse and I just spent a week in CA after a ten year absence from the U.S.
We were introduced to prices that were jaw dropping. People seemed too stressed to enjoy life. Traffic was appalling.
We were ready to kiss the ground when we arrived "home" in Ajijic last evening.
If people choose to live in fear, anywhere, they are paying interest on a debt not yet incurred. Yes, there are places to be avoided in the U.S. and in Mexico. Good sense never hurts.

I understand and agree with you 100%. A person can feel the stress just walking through the grocery store. And the prices! I wish I never have to return, maybe I won't.

bronco

Aug 11, 2013, 2:16 PM

Post #13 of 21 (3547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sam.I.am] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
prices in ajijic are the same as the US. i had the exact shopping list, except meat/fish/chicken. there was a thread on chapalawebboard comparing prices for everything, seemed to be a tie. as for clothes, nothing beats the sales in the US. dont forget there is an import charge here for most clothing. medicine here has doubles in 10yrs. traffic? both countries are huge, that again makes no sence. fear in the US? not where i visit. (im not afraid here either). as for stress "walking into a grocery store"- not all stores in the US have blasting radios like they do in ajijic. now THATS stress. i have to tip someone to lower it. (or shop after dark).

(This post was edited by bronco on Aug 11, 2013, 2:21 PM)

DavidHF

Aug 11, 2013, 6:29 PM

Post #14 of 21 (3517 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sence? What is that? Prices in Ajijic for groceries are way below the US excepting a very few items. I wonder where you shop? Sence? Sheesh!

bronco

Aug 12, 2013, 10:29 AM

Post #15 of 21 (3443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
david, i am going to look on on internet for a supermarket site. (maybe the one who delivered to me in the USA. they were huge, had everything). i will compare the prices, & report. as for ajijic shopping, i think you get a break in the outdoor markets if you buy kilos. i shop all over, small stores, torittos, superlake. (fruits/vegs/cereals/honey/cleaning things). the fish store in ajijic is much less than the one near superlake.

Gringal

Aug 12, 2013, 1:53 PM

Post #16 of 21 (3427 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I didn't do supermarket shopping, but the prices in the restaurants, even fast foods, are way higher in CA than in the Lakeside area.
Even a humble frosty with no frills was pricey.

Evidence of "stress" was all over the faces of people I saw daily....and these folks were on vacation in the S.F. Bay area, based on license plates and a keenly observing eye. Loud music in local stores? Where, except that sports equipment place in the Laguna Mall, to be avoided for fear of eardrum damage.

As for clothing.........I'm not interested in wearing the sleazy results of Asian slave-level labor. Clothe me in Maria of Guadalajara cotton. Ole!

Trying to make comparisons between cost of living in the U.S. and in Mexico is not practical. There is more to living well than the price of potatoes. Rents, for instance. Try to find decent living in a place where the billboard I saw in the San Jose area advertised "senior housing starting at only $900 a month"? Big, grim, high rise building.
Around here, that would get you a very nice casa with a garden.

I'm just hoping nobody else in the family dies anytime soon and expects us to come for the funeral.

I will give Volaris Airlines a plug for a good trip at a reasonable price.
Even so, a baggie of Skittles can not be considered "food". LOL.

bronco

Aug 12, 2013, 2:26 PM

Post #17 of 21 (3419 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
never eaten fast food, anywhere. (in my entire life, or lived in a car/mall culture, untill i came here). you may be correct about restuarant prices. (they almost doubled here in 10 yrs. "tango" is reasonable). as for loud music, well.....lots here. also the same in malls in US & mexico (depending upon the department). then again i dont go to malls much anywhere. as for clothes, well......rough mex fabric is not great. they have good seamtresses here, fabric is not easy to find. theres a place in guad that orders fabric from italy. as for apts, this depends upon area of mex vs. area of US. too many variables. i will check the supermarket websight to compare grocery prices. that would be interesting.

cbviajero

Aug 12, 2013, 4:24 PM

Post #18 of 21 (3397 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
never eaten fast food, anywhere. (in my entire life, or lived in a car/mall culture, untill i came here)..

Wow! Where did you live before coming here?

bronco

Aug 12, 2013, 7:12 PM

Post #19 of 21 (3369 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
what is interesting is that i cant find food prices on the websites. in order to see the food lists, i have to register, its a long application. ("d'agostino" for example, also "peapod"). now i am determined to compare, & will search other markets. i still think its all the same in both countries. i did find something depressing about the USA, there is a lack of produce in poorer areas. also fast food & packaged is cheaper than fresh food. maybe thats the same thing here? i mean the prices, not lack of fruits/vegs. i didnt know that it is a privilege to have fresh food.

(This post was edited by bronco on Aug 12, 2013, 9:21 PM)

bronco

Aug 12, 2013, 9:24 PM

Post #20 of 21 (3355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
in a place that does not consider itself part of the united states. back to topic.

Gringal

Aug 13, 2013, 12:42 PM

Post #21 of 21 (3288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Friends and faiy afraid to visit Mexico?

| Private Reply
Bronco, Bennie, Joey, etc., etc. was born and raised on a small island off the coast of Newfoundland where foodstuffs arrived weekly, by boat with a surly old captain.
No cars, no malls, nada. One day she or he was abducted and dropped off in the wilds of Mexico and hasn't figured out yet how to get back home. I'm joking of course, but some of those posts are so "out there" that I seriously suspect that we're being put on for his/her amusement.
Carry on, Bronco. We all enjoy hearing about an alternative reality. lol.

Meanwhile, in this reality, if you don't patronize one of the "fast food" restaurants in airports before boarding a flight longer than a few hours, your growling stomach may disturb your fellow passengers. These days, a tiny fruit bar or a mini-bag of chips and a plastic glass of a soft drink constitute airline "food". Anyone remember the good old days when you were spoiled rotten to distract you from where you really were (gulp) and how far down the ground was? I do.

Back on topic: it's pathetic the way the media are scaring people about the conditions in Mexico. It's either about selling TV time with sensationalism or a sneaky way to keep the tourist bucks home. Sure, there are places you should stay away from, but that's not where most tourists head anyway.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4