Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Jul 31, 2013, 7:42 PM

Post #1 of 12 (8904 views)

Shortcut

Car crossing into Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are about to purchase auto insurance for our trip to Mexico. There are so many companies we are not sure who we should use and need some suggestions. Also what is the difference between ABA, ACE and GNP? We will be getting the $500,000 liability policy because we will be doing some driving in Nayarit. Even though we only plan to be there for 6 months, we will return within the following two months so it appears that an annual policy will be cost effective.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

chinagringo

Jul 31, 2013, 7:59 PM

Post #2 of 12 (8894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Car crossing into Mexico

We have always used either:
http://www.mexadventure.com/
OR
the Mexico Auto Insurance offered through COSTCO.

We have maxed the liability limits and opted for what is usually called "Platinum protection" with roadside assistance, etc.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sioux4noff

Jul 31, 2013, 8:52 PM

Post #3 of 12 (8878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Car crossing into Mexico

We've always used Lewis and Lewis.

Altahabana

Aug 1, 2013, 6:22 AM

Post #4 of 12 (8852 views)

Shortcut

Mexico Bob out of Nogales, Az is another option.

www.mexican-autoinsurance.com

donemry

Aug 1, 2013, 8:13 AM

Post #5 of 12 (8837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Car crossing into Mexico

We have always used Lewis and Lewis. Unfortunately, we have also had two occasions to use the insurance. It works the same as up north, no more or less hassles.

sioux4noff

Aug 1, 2013, 1:26 PM

Post #6 of 12 (8810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Car crossing into Mexico

We've probably had 5 claims in our 8 years with Lewis and Lewis. Service was fine.

Aaron+

Aug 1, 2013, 2:16 PM

Post #7 of 12 (8802 views)

Shortcut

In Mexico, GNP is the oldest and by far the company with the most cars insured.

CONDUSEF, the Mexican financial and insurance company regulator, has on line late 2012 and early 2013 surveys with contradictory info on the best companies for car insurance; the late 2012 listing gives me confidence, whereas the 2013 listing of the body over CONDUSEF catupults Carlos Slim's INBURSA over all other companies, and does not list companies I know to have solid reputations. CONDUSEF also has a cost estimater for some different companies for different coverage levels for specified cities. (I cannot find a working CONDUSEF link that provides
its Oct. 2012 rankings.)

Among the highest ranking companies wrere: Grupo Nacional Provincial and Mapfre Tepeyac, tied at 10.0 (out of 10), followed by AXA Seguros with 9.9, Seguros Afirme and Chartis Seguros México with 9.8. At the bottom were: General de Seguros with a score of 7.1, Seguros El Potosí at 5.5, while ACE Seguros trailed all at 1.8. I paraphrased and translated from
http://tribuna.info/...39639&Itemid=122

I recently dumped ABA Seguros coverage rather than renew a 3rd year with them. A highly recommended local agent here in Mérida in turn recommended HDI or Qualitas. For better or note, we went with HDI.

ABA made us sit for hours in its office waiting to be attended after a significant collision, its greenhorn lawyer left my wife in a Ministerial Publico holding tank overnight. It kept repairs on hold for weeks rather than to allow us to pay the difference between a third party and an original Honda radiator grille part. ACE Limited (Switzerland home) purchased ABA Seguros from Ally Bank (ex-GMAC) this past May. My experience confirms ACE's bottom of the barrel CONDUSEF rating. ABA or ACE -- buyer beware!

(CONDUSEF's early 2013 listings may be found currently at http://www.condusef.gob.mx/...-ranking-de-condusef, but I find it simply unconvincing, suspicious. Ask around and find out how many folks here would highly rank banks and the like as auto insurers.)

Aaron+

Aug 1, 2013, 2:25 PM

Post #8 of 12 (8799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Car crossing into Mexico

The agency Lewis & Lewis currently provides Mexican tourist auto insurance through Qualitas, a good company and the actual insurer.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Aug 1, 2013, 2:26 PM)

mazbeach

Aug 2, 2013, 9:37 AM

Post #9 of 12 (8728 views)

Shortcut

Check the liability requirements of each and every state you will be driving in and through. They vary, to as high as $3,000,000. Maxing out the liability just in case is not expensive.

Larry

Mexicanbill

Aug 4, 2013, 10:45 AM

Post #10 of 12 (8572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Car crossing into Mexico

Thanks Everyone for your help. I will be getting the $500,000 policy because I will be driving in Nayarit part of the time. Right now I am just trying to find a policy that will allow my nephew to help drive the car across Mexico. He is a Mexican citizen with a Mexican drivers license. Lewis and Lewis won't let him drive so I'm still looking.

careyeroslib

Aug 4, 2013, 3:02 PM

Post #11 of 12 (8549 views)

Shortcut

Hi Bill: By chance we are going into our Mexican insurers (car and home) with O´Rourke (used to be Lloyd). I´ll ask them if they allow for a policy where your nephew can drive. Up until this month, we have always had foreign-plated vehicles and they couldn´t care less who was driving them as long as they had a valid driver´s licence. It was only Migación. But even they (Migración) didn´t mind a Mexican citizen who wasn´t a direct relative driving your vehicle as long as you were in the vehicle with them.

Mexicanbill

Aug 5, 2013, 3:18 PM

Post #12 of 12 (8493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Car crossing into Mexico

Thanks Carey

So far I have found only one company and even they are not to crazy about the idea but they said it would be ok if I really needed help driving.

The company is San Xavier Mexican Insurance

I can't seem to find anyone that has used them in the past.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4