Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

CanGuy78

Jul 20, 2013, 8:27 AM

Post #376 of 443 (18896 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Progress in theory, but not in my case! :-(

So you're still waiting as well?

It's been 52 days since I put in my papers at INM, nothing yet, at least not on the website.

La Isla

Jul 20, 2013, 8:34 AM

Post #377 of 443 (18891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanGuy78] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Still waiting. I first applied on April 22, and it's been almost a month since I gave them my fingerprints (the last step in the process), when I was told it would be two or three weeks. Hah!

jackak10

Jul 20, 2013, 8:42 AM

Post #378 of 443 (18888 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's been 52 days since I put in my papers at INM, nothing yet, at least not on the website.

Have you gone into their office to find out? Mine never showed up on the website, but I had given them my email address and got an email saying it was done two weeks after fingerprints.

La Isla

Jul 20, 2013, 9:21 AM

Post #379 of 443 (18880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
In Mexico City, there's no chance that INM will be sending individual emails to let us know that our card is ready - just too many people to deal with!

AlanMexicali

Jul 20, 2013, 4:44 PM

Post #380 of 443 (18836 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Still waiting. I first applied on April 22, and it's been almost a month since I gave them my fingerprints (the last step in the process), when I was told it would be two or three weeks. Hah!

If it was me I would go back in to the INM office and fib a bit to the person at the entrance, who you said once likes to turn people away and not giving out a number, and say you are here to pick up your visa. I wouldn´t wait for their website to update. The website is notorious for not being updated. Your card could be sitting there.

La Isla

Jul 20, 2013, 5:04 PM

Post #381 of 443 (18826 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I was thinking of doing just that, though lately in Mexico City, people have been notified that their cards were ready on the INM website.

esperanza

Jul 20, 2013, 6:31 PM

Post #382 of 443 (18804 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It's a quick-ish trip up to Polanco for you--although it could be half a day standing in the INM lines! I'd go check on it, regardless. You might be happily surprised. And if it's not ready, at least they know you're standing in front of them qvetching.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jul 20, 2013, 7:05 PM

Post #383 of 443 (18792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I'd be thrilled with a happy surprise. And I know I'll have to stand around for quite a while waiting to talk to someone, so I'll be sure to wear comfortable shoes when I go. I'll just get in the line for picking up cards that are ready to go and see what happens!

CanGuy78

Jul 21, 2013, 8:22 AM

Post #384 of 443 (18753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Have you gone into their office to find out? Mine never showed up on the website, but I had given them my email address and got an email saying it was done two weeks after fingerprints.

No one has taken my fingerprints. All that happened was I filed all the paperwork and paid the fees, submitted photos etc.

La Isla

Jul 21, 2013, 5:46 PM

Post #385 of 443 (18686 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
In Mexico City, giving fingerprints is the last step before your card is finally issued, so you still have some time to go before you get yours, I'm afraid.

La Isla

Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 AM

Post #386 of 443 (18570 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It's been 5 weeks since they took my fingerprints at the INM office in Mexico City. I went there this morning to find out what's going on. After waiting an hour and a half (thank God, there were chairs to sit on!), the very nice guy who was helping me told me that my credencial had never been sent to them from the company that is actually making the cards. He apologized (!) for the delay and asked me to come back a week from this Friday. In the meantime, they will contact the card-making company to find out what has happened with my file. When I return there on August 2 (keep in mind I began the application process on April 22), if he isn't there, he gave me the name of his boss, so I can talk to her. Needless to say, I feel frustrated and angry, but what else can I do but wait some more?

esperanza

Jul 23, 2013, 10:56 AM

Post #387 of 443 (18568 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It sounds like he at least told you the truth. We will keep our fingers crossed that they find your file and send your credencial to the office. God forbid you should have to start over.

La Isla

Jul 23, 2013, 11:17 AM

Post #388 of 443 (18560 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Start over? Let's not go there ... !

YucaLandia

Jul 30, 2013, 6:19 AM

Post #389 of 443 (18323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
We have five or six threads dealing with the new INM rules.
It will be much more useful to consolidate our experiences.
So. please, lets use this thread to report of experience with INM and Consulate offices.

Here is a recent reliable first-person report from a first time residency applicant: as a successful NON RETIRED Residente Permanente awarded in May...

"... I just moved to Campeche in May.

~ I got a permanent resident visa in the states (Mexican Consulate in Houston, USA), based on my income.

~ Applying at the Campeche (INM) office for my resident card couldn’t have been easier. I went in alone but prepared with all my financials and copies, speaking no Spanish but armed with a google translator on my cell phone.

~ They didn’t ask for or want any of my financials. Just a lease and electric bill, which was in my landlords name,

~ accompanied by a letter from him explaining the bill would remain in his name but that I would pay it. ~ ..."

"... They gave me a form to fill out and asked for two infantile size pictures, a receipt from the bank showing I paid the $35.00 fee and that was it! I had to return two weeks later to sign another form and wait another two weeks for the card to come in from Mexico City and that was it.

~ They couldn’t have been nicer or more helpful. ~ A great INM office to use! "

I think this covers key issues for many people planning for Residente Permanente applications, for one pair of: a Mexican Consulate (Houston) and the Campeche INM office.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 30, 2013, 8:43 AM)

La Isla

Aug 2, 2013, 3:06 PM

Post #390 of 443 (18168 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Here is the final chapter of my INM 2013 saga:

As I was told to do 10 days ago by a pleasant clerk at INM in Mexico City, I returned there this morning to find out what has happened to my application for a Residente Permanente card, for which I had begun the application process on April 22. I got there around 10 am and was dismayed to see an incredibly long line of people waiting to pick up their cards. It moved rather slowly for a half hour, and then a nice security guard came over and guided me to the head of the line because of my "persona de la tercera edad" (senior citizen) status. I explained my problem to the person helping me, and he agreed that he needed to talk to his supervisor to find out what had happened to my application. I waited another half hour (part of the time on a fairly comfortable chair) and passed the time nibbling on dried apples and cashews and reading the latest issue of Harper's magazine. Finally, I heard my name called over the constant din of conversation in the crowded space and eagerly approached the counter to meet my fate. The "Licenciada" in charge was very pleasant to me but never did explain what might have happened to my card. She asked if I had regulation-size photos with me, and luckily I did! She took the ones needed for my card and returned the rest to me. Then I was directed to the "Toma de huellas" station, the next one along the counter, where my fingerprints were taken for the second time (the first time was June 19. I was asked to sit down and wait some more. After another half hour or so had passed, I heard my name called and went back to the counter. After signing my name on yet another piece of paper, I was given my card!! I was so happy that I wanted to kiss the "Licenciada" but settled instead for a cordial handshake. Then I left the building (perhaps for the last time ever?), almost skipped down Ejército Nacional, and went to Los Bisquets, where I celebrated with a lovely breakfast of an huitlacoche omelette with a side order of nopales. When I got home (after a wild shopping spree in Soriana), I showed my new card to a neighbor who had received his about a month ago. He was surprised to see that mine has a chip while his does not. And that's the end of this tale of trials and tribulations, but one with a happy ending!

esperanza

Aug 3, 2013, 5:24 AM

Post #391 of 443 (18122 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bendito sea Dios! Judy and I are so happy for all of us that it's OVER!

On the other hand, she is going to SRE mid-month to start the citizenship application. She's already been to two reclusorios--one in the far reaches of Tlalpan and the other in the no-man's-land of Iztapalapa--and has the all-clear: no criminal record. LOL--why are we not surprised!

La Isla

Aug 3, 2013, 7:49 AM

Post #392 of 443 (18103 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks, esperanza (and Judy)! Keep us posted on how Judy's application for Mexican citizenship goes. I'll be doing the same thing in a couple of years, I think. By then I should have recovered from my latest (and last) bout with INM :-).

NCommander

Aug 15, 2013, 12:24 PM

Post #393 of 443 (17661 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
So, just logging my two cents. I applied and received my Residente Temporal visa at the Portland, OR Consolate, within a week (went in Wednesday to drop the papers off, was emailed next Wednesday to have the visa stuck in my passport). Excellent experience all around, and the PDX consolate lists all the documentation required for each type of visa.

La Isla

Aug 15, 2013, 12:57 PM

Post #394 of 443 (17650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NCommander] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
So, just logging my two cents. I applied and received my Residente Temporal visa at the Portland, OR Consolate, within a week (went in Wednesday to drop the papers off, was emailed next Wednesday to have the visa stuck in my passport). Excellent experience all around, and the PDX consolate lists all the documentation required for each type of visa.

Here's hoping things go as well for you at your local INM office in Mexico, where you´ll be going to finalize your application for a RT card. Good luck!

NCommander

Aug 15, 2013, 1:25 PM

Post #395 of 443 (17644 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Here's hoping things go as well for you at your local INM office in Mexico, where you´ll be going to finalize your application for a RT card. Good luck!

That's the part I'm worrying about :-). It seems relatively easy, even in the DF, but given that most of us Temporal Residente folks seem to grumble at INM.

The RT card is what I need to present (with the top half of a FNM card) when I leave the country, correct?

esperanza

Aug 15, 2013, 2:28 PM

Post #396 of 443 (17638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NCommander] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
If by 'relatively easy even in the DF' you mean 10 trips back and forth from our apartment to the INM office in hellacious DF traffic, you mean spending either 200 pesos round trip for a taxi or taking the Metro and then taking a taxi, you mean standing in line for hours at a time at the INM office, you mean making 6 or 8 trips to the bank and to an escritorio público, you mean waiting three months for the new card...then okay, I guess it was relatively easy in the DF. I'd hate to see what 'relatively difficult' looks like.

Sorry, my wife and I are not yet 100% over getting her new card--and tomorrow we start the last part of the trek toward her citizenship. Next stop: SRE.

YucaLandia

Aug 15, 2013, 3:54 PM

Post #397 of 443 (17621 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What a good good first-hand report about how things work in DF, relative to other INM locations.

For context, some INM offices like Chapala have been taking at least 3 months, and over 4 months in some cases - all just to review applications and bank statements for Residente Permanente applications - with no final approvals issued. Many Chapala residents bailed on their local INM office due to these problems, and shifted to Guadalajara. Guadalajara INM raised the bar too, questioning the legitimacy of signatures, passports, and requiring proof of PENSION income - not just bank statements.

Similar applications are going through in 30 - 45 days in Merida and Puerto Vallara.

Manzanillo applicants are flying through in 8 to 10 days...

San Cristobal/Chiapas first hand reports are saying they are finishing the whole process in under 20 days...

Is time to start a new single updated ~ current thread ~ to track the current details, identifying current local realities vs searching the current 383 replies of this monster thread?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

mazbeach

Aug 15, 2013, 6:34 PM

Post #398 of 443 (17603 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
In Mazatlan, three weeks from walking in the door the first time to walking out with our new RP cards. Great people to work with. Guess it all depends on which office you have to deal with. They go out of their way here to make it easy and stress free.

However, if you walk in with a chip on your shoulder you are going to encounter grumpy people.

La Isla

Aug 15, 2013, 6:45 PM

Post #399 of 443 (17602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I wonder if there's a relation between the number of expats a particular INM office has to deal with and how long it takes for them to process your card. I also wonder if there's a difference between those of us who have lived in Mexico for several years and are changing from the old FM2&3/No Inmigrante&Inmigrante system to the new Residente Temporal/Residente Permanente categories and those newly-arrived expats who began the process at Mexican Consulates in their home countries.

YucaLandia

Aug 15, 2013, 6:53 PM

Post #400 of 443 (17601 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Good distinction about new applicants coming in with pre-approvals from Mexican Consulates versus current residents applying to change categories from temporary residency (FM2/FM3) to Residente Permanente.

The times I quote above are for the temporary residency (FM2/FM3) to Residente Permanente category changes.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4