Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Anonimo

Jul 29, 2013, 5:34 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5319 views)

Shortcut

Lodging Suggestions in Nuevo Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
We will soon be driving north from Michoacán to Nuevo Laredo with the object of nationalizing our vehicle. We may spend 2 or even more nights there. We are looking for a safe, clean, comfortable hotel, with secure parking, wifi a plus, with a nightly rate of well under $1000 pesos. It would be good to have a decent yet economical restaurant in the hotel or very close by.

We are not able to cross into the United States at this time. We need to stay on the Mexican side of the border.

I have been going through the TripAdvisor reviews, and some likely candidates are Hotel Colón Plaza, Quality Inn and City Express. I'd appreciate any first hand experiences or recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Saludos,
Anonimo

citlali

Jul 29, 2013, 7:05 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Lodging Suggestions in Nuevo Laredo

Fiesta Inn is nice I think it is next to a Holiday Inn . The two hotels are right next to each other.

Altahabana

Jul 30, 2013, 5:56 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5263 views)

Shortcut

I posted a detailed response on the LP Thorn Tree. The Colon Plaza at Lopez de Lara and Paseo Colon is by far the best value for the money. It is usually full though so advance reservations are advised. The restaurant is overpriced in my opinion.

The ownership and names of the three hotels on Reforma have changed over the past 2-3 years. The old Camino Real is now known as Hotel Real Inn. The former Fiesta Inn is now known as the Quality Inn. And the old Hilton Garden is now known as the Fiesta Inn--Nuevo Laredo. Because of the heavy traffic and noise I wouldn't recommend any of them. The Fiesta Inn is where the Federal Police are housed and it feels like you are entering a military base.

There are good restaurant choices near Plaza Colon. I recommend Los Ajos which is within walking distance and is across from the US Consulate. Tacquiera Aranandas at Guerrero y 5 de Febrero is a family favorite. El Rancho on Guerrero is reliable but it is more expensive than the others.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Jul 30, 2013, 5:57 AM)

Anonimo

Jul 30, 2013, 3:07 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Lodging Suggestions in Nuevo Laredo

Muchas gracias, Alta. I will also read your post on the TT MB.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Aug 9, 2013, 2:07 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4989 views)

Shortcut

We stayed twice, coming and going, at the lovely Hotel Del Parque in Matehuala Centro. It was a little pricier* than what we are accustomed, but well worth it for the comfort and its better than average restaurant, "Los Nogales".

*average rate, $775 a spacious double.

In Nuevo Laredo, we stayed at the Hotel Colón Plaza. It was very "Business Class" and the atmosphere was a bit stiff, but it was well located for our needs, secure, comfortable and a bit cheaper than the Del Parque. $715 a double, quite a bit smaller, but ample enough for us.

In Nvo Laredo, we took all our meals at the Restaurante "Los Ajos", a very informal,, friendly place, serving both breakfasts and other meals at a moderate price. The specialty is grilled meats, but there is also a pretty good salad bar.

It's on Álvaro Obregón, just north of Paseo Colón, and to the rear is the U.S. Consulate. The Consulate is very heavily guarded and secured, so watch where you walk, as we did, to the Banamex 1 block north. It's better to walk on the west side of Obregón, across from the Consulate.

Saludos,
Anonimo

RickS

Aug 9, 2013, 5:38 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4923 views)

Shortcut

How did the 'nationalization' go?

Anonimo

Aug 11, 2013, 1:40 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Lodging Suggestions in Nuevo Laredo

RickS, that's another story. Let's just say it was "interesting" but other than that, I'll stand by my sig line. I'll add that it was successful.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Aug 11, 2013, 1:41 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4