Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

skye22

Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM

Post #1 of 6 (9696 views)

Shortcut

Considering La Paz

Can't Post | Private Reply
My partner and I have been living in Mexico since 2006. We lived 2 years in Oaxaca and have been in Patzcuaro for the past 4. I have moderate to severe asthma and am no longer able to tolerate the pollution that we have in Patzcuaro due to the field burning and local consumption of fire wood etc. Most of the coastal areas where my health is much better are too hot for us but we have heard that La Paz is much more bearable. We plan a trip there in January for fact finding but am hoping that someone might be able to give us some information before our trip.
I was wondering if anyone would know anything about the cost comparisons between a city such as Patzcuaro and La Paz taking into consideration that we are Mercado folks and rarely shop in big box stores. We also live a relatively integrated life in Patzcuaro and do not have a need to live in a gated community. We would really appreciate having some sort of idea of apartment/casa rental prices in La Paz away from the tourist areas and a general cost of living when one does most shopping in mercados and local supermercados. If this information is redundant then maybe someone can send us some of the past threads on this topic. We do understand that cost of living is extremely subjective but any help along these lines would be very helpful.
We also would be interested in knowing if there are options for property management in lieu of rent in your area.
Thank you.

morgaine7

Jul 25, 2013, 12:34 PM

Post #2 of 6 (9678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skye22] Considering La Paz

I've lived in La Paz full time since 2007 but unfortunately know nothing about Patzcuaro (or asthma). Compared to Cairo, where I lived for the previous 25 years, pollution is minimal, especially outside the center. But it can be dusty, and you may have difficulty in late summer when the air gets still, hot, and humid. January is the worst possible time to check this out, as you're most likely to find clear, sunny, breezy days with high temperatures in the 70šs Fahrenheit and nighttime lows in the 40šs. Today at about 12:45 pm, Weather Underground has us at 97š with 20% humidity and wind at 14 mph.

You'll find a good-sized mercado and many neighborhood tiendas and mini-marts. Supermarkets include Chedraui and the smaller local Ley's and Aramburo. We also have City Club, Walmart, Sam's, Home Depot, and more recently Liverpool. La Paz isn't all that huge population-wise, and the center is walkable, but the city is quite spread out and most larger stores are outside downtown.

It's hard to speculate on cost of living, especially for renting. I'm single and own my home in a residential area with mostly Mexican neighbors. There's a Yahoo group called "La Paz Gringos" that you might want to join in order to get a larger sample of local information. People's living quarters range from sailboats to luxury condos, but few live in gated communities. I have seen occasional property management and house-sitter openings, the most recent of which was filled immediately.

Hope this helps a little!

Kate

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jul 25, 2013, 12:45 PM

Post #3 of 6 (9677 views)

Shortcut

Suggest you join the "La Paz Gringos" group on Yahoo and re-post your questions there:

La Paz Gringos Yahoo! Group

Also, the Baja Western Onion [sic] focuses mainly on Todos Santos, BCS, but also covers the La Paz area:

The Baja Western Onion

HTH,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

mazatman

Jul 25, 2013, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 6 (9659 views)

Shortcut

I spent most of June and July in La Paz checking out rental options and I would say that there is enough choice to accommodate most budgets. Although there are a lot more high-end condos listed than any other type, once you are there you will find much more. Obviously, peak season may be a different, I donīt know.

Much of the food is imported so it is more expensive.

You may get more responses if you post your query on Yahoo Groups, below:

la paz gringos - Yahoo Groups

Good luck,

Rod

skye22

Jul 26, 2013, 11:02 AM

Post #5 of 6 (9592 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Considering La Paz

Thank you all very much. I will post my query on the La Paz yahoo group.

Marlene / Moderator

Jul 26, 2013, 5:13 PM

Post #6 of 6 (9563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatman] Considering La Paz

What were your overall impressions of La Paz as a place to settle? Will you be making the big move? Thanks for the post.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4