Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Sandram

Jul 22, 2013, 9:59 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4836 views)

Shortcut

Mexico City to Oaxaca-Puerto Escondido

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all,
Will be travelling by car from Mexico City to Oaxaca the first week of August. Although we are travelling with Mexican folks, (my husbands family) and I myself am Latin (Colombia), and haven't been to Mexico in a long time, I'm a bit nervous of this drive. I have been living in Canada most of my life and don't want to go there with a Canadian mentality. Is this a "safe" drive? What should we be aware of? Don't even know what to ask...just a bit nervous.
Sandra

(This post was edited by Sandram on Aug 16, 2013, 7:44 AM)

citlali

Jul 22, 2013, 1:03 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sandram] Mexico City to Oaxaca

yes it is a safe and pretty drive via Puebla and then on to Oaxaca take the exit on the south side of Puebla.

rockydog85251

Jul 22, 2013, 4:52 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Mexico City to Oaxaca

We have driven from Mazatlan to Oaxaca a number of times over the past 5 yrs......not one problem!! Have a wonderful time!
Willie

mezcal

Aug 5, 2013, 9:41 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4480 views)

Shortcut

Welcome to Oaxaca, and know in craft mezcal production process. http://mezcales.org/

Sandram

Aug 16, 2013, 6:20 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3983 views)

Shortcut

Thank you all for your words of advice. We're back in Canada after a fabulous vacation in Mexico. We landed in Mexico City, visited family and then drove to Oaxaca where we stayed one night at a hotel called Sierra Madre Azul (?) where we were greeted with shots of Mezcal with a wedge of orange and chile. Super hotel! Went to the market and then drove through the Sierra Madre Oriental all the way to Puerto Escondido. By far the most amazing sites! Absolutely gorgeous scenery. We drove in a caravan of 5 cars and my condolences to the drivers (our husbands) who had about 9 hours of complete zig zag roads and were unable to enjoy the scenery as you cannot take your eyes off the road for a second.

Puerto Escondido...

Since there were 19 of us, we stayed at Casa Chantal and Casa Happy. Incredibly beautiful homes. Each day we visited a different beach loving each one as much as the other. Surfed, snorkeled and by far the best....went to Laguna Manialtepec where we swam in luminescent plankton under a sea of stars! Magical, life time experience everyone should experience!!! Highly recommended although I am told the deep luminescence we experienced only happens a couple of times a year and what great surprise to learn we had gone at the perfect time. Incredible.

Drove back via Acapulco...not as intense but still a nice safe drive. We were then going to my in-laws home which is in Lomas de Cocoyoc where we stayed 3 days. We visited Cuernavaca, Tepoztlan, had lunch at Hacienda de Cortez which is absolutely gorgeous and a must see. Had breakfast at Hacienda de Cocoyoc..another beautiful Hacienda. Visited the ruins at Xochicalco. By far the greatest family vacation experience. Love Mexico. Hoping one day to retire in Puerto Escondido although Iím sure there are other just as beautiful places yet to see. Cheers!

Sandra

CozICan

Aug 16, 2013, 9:04 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3957 views)

Shortcut

Nice trip report. Maybe I will try that route someday.

geri

Aug 17, 2013, 7:48 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] Mexico City to Oaxaca

Thanks for this trip report. I don't often open the Traveling forum, since it's mostly about what's the best route to take, (info people seem to really need), except I don't have a car.

Puerto Escondido is indeed the "Hidden Port,"and one of my favorite places in Mexico. Although I live in Oaxaca City, I slip down to the coast often. You have such a good attitude about that road. Visitors that I've accompanied on it also find it awesome. I have gone the snaky terrain too many times, so I don't look forward to the jostling anymore. Thanks for jogging my memory about what a fabulous experience it is.

Geri in Oaxaca

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4