First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marcosslp

Jul 18, 2013, 4:12 PM

Post #1 of 33 (17322 views)

Shortcut

Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey,

Dave Parks here. I'm brand new here; just signed up today (July 18, 2013).

I have a question and checked the "search" function but all of the posts seemed to be from the last decade.

I need to know if anyone has any information on how to obtain a California (certified) copy of my birth certificate and apostil - actually I need 2 copies.

I have found services that can get the apostil with a fairly quick turn-around but, getting the certified copies of the birth certificate and getting them to the apostil service looks to be a challenge.

I cannot just go to California and do it myself. No time or money for that.

My local INM office is requiring me to provide one in order to get my brother in as an economic dependant (dependent?) and I need another in order to get Mexican citizenship in the near future.

Anyone have knowledge or experience in this area? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. If this has been covered recently, would you tell me where on this site?

Dave

sioux4noff

Jul 18, 2013, 10:53 PM

Post #2 of 33 (17289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcosslp] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

Do you have a relative in the US who can get it for you? Parents, children or siblings can apply for it by mail.
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/AthorizedCopyvsInformationalCopy.aspx
Or you can apply by mail from your location.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Jul 18, 2013, 10:58 PM)

marcosslp

Jul 18, 2013, 11:01 PM

Post #3 of 33 (17282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

Thanks so much sioux4noff.

No relatives in Cali but I can apply by mail. I wonder if I can have it mailed to the company that handles apostiles in LA. I'll check that out. If I can work it out, I'll post the process here.

Another possibility is that, supposedly, the Delegado at INM can waive the requirement (if he is of a mind). But I imagine that Relaciones Exteriores where I have to initiate the citizenship process will be more inflexible.

That's life.

Thanks,
Dave

esperanza

Jul 19, 2013, 6:02 AM

Post #4 of 33 (17261 views)

Shortcut

Be very careful about those companies that handle apostilles by mail for you. They charge a fortune. Mostly they are scam artists and will simply take your money and do nothing. This is a simple process that you can do yourself.

Get your California certified birth certificates--get more than one, the agencies in Mexico that require them will not return them to you--by mail and then send it to the California Secretary of State's office yourself. Here's the website and the instructions: http://www.sos.ca.gov/...y/authentication.htm

You will definitely need an apostilled copy of the birth certificate for your application for citizenship. If you have been married and divorced, or married and your spouse is deceased, you will also need apostilled copies of your divorce decree(s) or your spouse's death certificate as well. Then all of those documents will need to be translated into Spanish by a perito--court-certified expert translator in the Mexican jurisdiction where you live.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

YucaLandia

Jul 19, 2013, 6:30 AM

Post #5 of 33 (17252 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

In Colorado and Illinois, the departments that issue official copies of birth certificates can also mail (forward) the official Birth Record copy to the Sec. of State office - but you have to include an addressed-stamped envelope for the transfer to the Sec. of State's office - and you have to include a separate cover letter to the Sec. of State requesting the apostille (along with instructions on where to mail the completed, apostilled Birth Records) - along with the separate check/money order to pay the Sec. of State's office.

The extra inter-office mailing and Sec. of State apostille process took an extra 2 weeks for us (4 weeks total).

Neither state advertised this option on their website. Just like Mexico, we had to ask "Is there any other option that we can use to make the process work? " The people on the help-line then told us about how to exercise the inter-office mail option.

Does California also have this (un-publicized) option?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 19, 2013, 6:38 AM)

esperanza

Jul 19, 2013, 6:47 AM

Post #6 of 33 (17237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

The same is theoretically true in New York, but our experience with the birth certificate office is that they said they would do it but never did. Instead, they erroneously sent the birth certificate directly to our home in Mexico City.

In matters of this importance, we prefer to handle things ourselves rather than trust government agencies that too often do not do what they are asked. In our case, we needed the documents in order to obtain a marriage license. The NY birth certificate office nearly caused our wedding to be delayed and gave me more gray hairs.

sparks

Jul 19, 2013, 7:07 AM

Post #7 of 33 (17231 views)

Shortcut

Didn't know there was a public agency in CA that gave out BC's. I got mine from the hospital for a small fee plus DHL delivery

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

sioux4noff

Jul 19, 2013, 7:30 AM

Post #8 of 33 (17214 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

As we recently found out (albeit in Texas) birth certificates come in many forms. The "most official" one, the long form, had to be obtained at the local health department. And in that case, only people born in that county could get them there. Otherwise, it had to be done through the state department of health, in person or by mail.
This was for a US passport, and were told it must be a long form, and it must come from the Dept of Health.

marcosslp

Jul 19, 2013, 8:47 AM

Post #9 of 33 (17194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

esperanza, Yucalandia, sparks and sioux4noff,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm on it and I'll let you know about my experiences.

Thanks

stevebrtx

Jul 19, 2013, 10:35 AM

Post #10 of 33 (17168 views)

Shortcut

I'm doing mine the "old fashioned way" - by snail mail. I ordered it online from NE, am waiting for it's arrival - oh, they took my money next day of course, but? - when it arrives I'll return it two blocks down the street in Lincoln (probably by FedX) to the Sec of State who will hopefully return it by Sept 7th so I can haul it back to Laredo for a new Temporal (too bad I don't get mileage points on it?)
http://www.chapalaweather.net

YucaLandia

Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM

Post #11 of 33 (17168 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] What Constitutes a Legal Birth Certificate

In Reply To
Didn't know there was a public agency in CA that gave out BC's. I got mine from the hospital for a small fee plus DHL delivery

In Illinois, Colorado, and Maryland (and other states), the birth certificate issued by a hospital is a fun document, suitable for framing, suitable for geneology pursuits, and fun to show to the grand-kids: ... "Back in the day, we had to walk 5 miles uphill to school in the snow, and real birth certificates had the baby's foot prints inked right onto the hospital birth certificate."

Since each US state has it's own legal statutes governing which birth record is the one recognized by the courts, it is best to know which version is the correct one for each state.
... ask Barack about legal Hawaiian Birth Records ... or
~ ask McCain about Panamanian Birth Records ~

Can the OP please come back and tell us what's the best legal procedure for California?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

marcosslp

Jul 19, 2013, 12:26 PM

Post #12 of 33 (17143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] What Constitutes a Legal Birth Certificate

Hey Steve,

I still don't know.

What I am going to do on Monday (22 of July, 2013) is take the required format from the County of Los Angeles to my local consul to have it notarized and FedEx it (or DHL or whatever) and send it to LA. From there, maybe I can get them to send it to the Sec. of State in CA and try to get it apostilled and sent back to me before the 22nd of August.

I'm under time restraints.

This should be a lot easier.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

sparks

Jul 19, 2013, 2:57 PM

Post #13 of 33 (17119 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] What Constitutes a Legal Birth Certificate

Well I was in Washington State applying for my first Passport in the early 90's. Was just told a birth Cert. Had no other idea than to contact the Hospital in San Mateo Calif. It worked for a Passport and no foot print

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Aaron+

Jul 19, 2013, 3:42 PM

Post #14 of 33 (17110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcosslp] What Constitutes a Legal Birth Certificate

Sounds like you are following up on the right requirements, primarily those noted in Esperaza's posting of 6:02am today. Since you don't specify which LA agency, you are, I assume, sending the application (2 copies) for your birth certificate plus your notarized certificate of identity to the LA Registrar´s office, not the Dept of Vital Records, as, "NOTE: If the country to which you are traveling requires an Apostille or Certification, you must obtain a certified copy from the RR/CC since the California Secretary of State will only provide authentication of the County Clerk or Recorder's signature."
Do check with the nearest US consulate office as to whether you first need to go to the web and obtain an interview to get the notarization performed.

If you have a reliable relative or friend, I'd follow up on suggestions others made, and request that the LA RR/CC office send the certified copies to a trusted intermediary, rather than relying on the govt office to forward same.

Good luck. My last request, spring of 2013, for a bc from the State of Georgia got lost somewhere, never got the bc, though in prior years any such request got prompt treatment.

marcosslp

Jul 19, 2013, 8:36 PM

Post #15 of 33 (17083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] What Constitutes a Legal Birth Certificate

In Reply To
If you have a reliable relative or friend, I'd follow up on suggestions others made, and request that the LA RR/CC office send the certified copies to a trusted intermediary, rather than relying on the govt office to forward same..

Thanks and good advice. I do have a brother in another state who knows the drill as far as getting documents to me. That might cut down the turn-around time.

As far as the notarization, I know the local consul as well as most of the office staff and can probably set an appointment for this coming week to get the request notarized.

Thank you and thanks to all of you who are responding, I really appreciate it. I was sort of frustrated because I had already gotten my brother's bc etc, apostilled so I can get him in as an economic dependant. (Heart attack and stroke, 55 y/o, no wife, carpenter so he can't work).

So, the INM office tells me last week that they also need my bc with apostille, sort of a, "Oh, by the way" They could have made that known to me in the beginning. The thing that frustrates me most is that I'm on a first-name basis with most of the staff.

Oh well, that's one reason I live in Mexico, I'm a little suspicious of too much government efficiency.

Hugs y'all

citlali

Jul 20, 2013, 8:45 PM

Post #16 of 33 (17036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marcosslp] What Constitutes a Legal Birth Certificate

By the way the apostille is valid 3 months only so do not waste time getting it translated along with the apostil document and getting o DF for the constancia de no antecedentes penales . The police tried to take the original from me when I did it but I told them I would only give them a copy and that was fine, same for the State constancia.

richmx2

Jul 20, 2013, 11:10 PM

Post #17 of 33 (17022 views)

Shortcut

My experience with New York State was quite different. I just telephoned the city clerk's office in the city where I was born, and then faxed her a copy of my passport and driver's license, followed by a letter with the five dollar fee and a return envelope.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

esperanza

Jul 21, 2013, 5:48 AM

Post #18 of 33 (17004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

If, like my wife, you had been born in New York City, your experience of getting an apostilled birth certificate from New York would have been very different. The city has other requirements that must be taken care of before the New York State requirements are met.

marcosslp

Jul 21, 2013, 10:34 AM

Post #19 of 33 (16965 views)

Shortcut

True esperanza but, California and LA County seem to be very picky. I'm hoping I don't have to make a trip up there just to sort this out. I REALLY don't have the time for it.

I'm thinking that the worst case scenario will be to kill the process for the moment and send my brother to Texas to reenter with another 6 month tourist visa. In the meantime, I'll continue to work with INM to deal with all of the little "surprises" they come up with.

Thanks for the input.

richmx2

Jul 25, 2013, 5:31 AM

Post #20 of 33 (16828 views)

Shortcut

Quite true... but if one comes from a smaller community or a rural county, sometimes there are more informal ways of getting things done. And it helped that I remembered who the deputy city clerk had dated in high school :-)

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

stevebrtx

Jul 25, 2013, 1:18 PM

Post #21 of 33 (16785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

Well, this afternoon I'm truly excited, I got my spffy new, 70 year old, birth certificate. Yes, I dutifully jumped through the first hoops to order one from the State of Nebraska for the fee of $12 and it arrived today. I opened it up and it's amazing, truly amazing, it's EXACTLY like the one I've carried for 70 years? - you know, the one I used to get several passports over the years, the very same one I used to get my FM3's here - who would have thought? Now I have to send it back to Lincoln (2 blocks from the records div) to the Sec of State to get them to do their thing on it for another $10 and so I can haul it to TX in Sept. And people wonder what we do with our spare time? - and money!

stevebrtx

Aug 20, 2013, 12:40 PM

Post #22 of 33 (15787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

I finally got around to opening the envelope containing my Apostille? - boy, am I disappointed, I guess I was expecting something on fancy heavy stock paper with gold seals and Old English print or something - but no, a cheezy piece of the cheapest copy paper all in simple black print with some typing saying who approved it, didn't mention me at all, only a stamp with a 6 digit reference number and a small printed color seal of Nebraska, no raised stamps, nada? - and this is supposed to mean something? - I'd venture to bet I could scan/copy this baby and make it look better than the original - and really, a 6 digit Bates stamped number? - I'm sure the MXN consulate checks every one with the state from which they originate to make sure they're authentic.

citlali

Aug 21, 2013, 6:36 AM

Post #23 of 33 (15737 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

Do not worry after 3 months it is not valid . I had to get a second one when I applied with the SRE because the apostille was over 3 months.

stevebrtx

Aug 21, 2013, 1:34 PM

Post #24 of 33 (15688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Obtaining birth certificate and apostille

Wow, talk about rubbing salt into the wound.

robt65

Aug 22, 2013, 4:27 AM

Post #25 of 33 (15636 views)

Shortcut

What happens to us as Canadians who are about to get our citizenship in México when we do not have a country (Canada) that is part of the signatory that allows for a document to be apostilled? I have a Birth certificate original from Canada, That I had apostilled in New York for my initial entry as an immigrant some four years ago. Does this mean that I have to now apply to get another Original Birth Certificate, have it apostilled again, for my new status, as my present apostilled certificate is not less than three months old? When I requested the original apostilled certificate, I asked for and got two original apostilled certificates? Can I not use the second one now?

Does anyone from Querétaro know if that is what our local INM office in Querétaro requires?

Thank you,

Regards,

Robt65
San Juan del Rio, Querétaro
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4