Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

MayaDoc

Jul 14, 2013, 12:50 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2307 views)

Shortcut

Would greatly appreciate help with Aguascalientes and Zacatecas travel

Can't Post | Private Reply
We want to travel from Guanajuato city to Aguascalientes city and then go on to Zacatecas city for the last weekend in August 2013 (possibly La Morisma weekend) then return to Guanajuato on Sept. 2 to fly out from there to the States. I'd appreciate advice regarding what's the best way to travel between these towns.

We've been travelling to Mexico for over twenty five years but I feel that it's wise to get feedback from people who live or have recently travelled through these regions. If you have suggestions on not-to-miss places or accommodations, I'd be grateful.

Muchas gracias for your help. This forum has always been generous and informative.

Vanessa

chinagringo

Jul 14, 2013, 1:07 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vanessa] Would greatly appreciate help with Aguascalientes and Zacatecas travel

I would recommend paying particular attention to the news coming out of the area between Aguascalientes and Zacatecas. This region has been somewhat of a war zone for many months and isn't showing signs of quieting down:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...-leaves-13-dead.html

I have seen posts by Zacatecas locals warning people not to travel to their area.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mykul

Jul 14, 2013, 3:53 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vanessa] Would greatly appreciate help with Aguascalientes and Zacatecas travel

I would have to agree about travelling to Zacatecas at the moment. We have friends that live in Zacatecas City and it's not a great time to be there.

My wife is from Aguascalientes and that is a great city to visit. Easily accessible from Guanajuato via one of the first class bus lines like Primera Plus. About a 2 hour trip.

Aguas has a few attractions including the colonial center, the Posada museum, San Marcos garden and some very nice murals in the government buildings.
There is also an emerging wine industry and if it is of interest it is worth seeking out some of the locally made offerings.

RickS

Jul 15, 2013, 2:15 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mykul] Would greatly appreciate help with Aguascalientes and Zacatecas travel

"We have friends that live in Zacatecas City and it's not a great time to be there."

For the good of the order, could you be more specific about this statement? I don't for one minute believe that your friends weren't/aren't serious but one can draw a thousand inferences from such a generality.

The reason that I am asking is that folks often inquire here about traveling 'through/to" a certain area. "We" here on the forum try to give our best opinion as to how they can accomplish their goal or stay away if appropriate. Chinagringo shared info about the troubles lately around the municipality of Sombrerete Zacatecas. Bad stuff.... but not unusual for that specific area.

But it is my opinion (and maybe just my opinion) that this specific information is not necessarily carte blanche reason to not consider driving on the cuotas through that area even today. Personally I would..... I would not take a leisurely drive off the cuota and out through/to Sombrerete, but if I needed to get from, say, Guadalajara to to visit Rolly in Lerdo and then on to El Paso Tx. I would not hesitate taking that route. Takes all kinds I guess.

Anyway, since the OP was asking about visiting Zacatecas (and presumedly not just skirting it on the bypass as I would be doing), maybe a bit more about why it's 'not a great time to be in the City' at this time.

Gracias

mykul

Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2204 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Would greatly appreciate help with Aguascalientes and Zacatecas travel

Most of the cartel violence has happened outside of Zacatecas city limits but there have been recent gun battles in el centro.

See this link: (note: some blood in some photos)

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...-of-last-8-days.html

My friend Roberto is born and raised in Zacatecas and he stated that they simply stay in the house after 7 at night. Not a great situation for a tourist visit.
I agree that driving on the quotas is probably fine, at least I hope it is as we will be driving that route next month.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4