Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

at7mbe

Jul 3, 2013, 11:23 AM

Post #1 of 10 (1625 views)

Shortcut

Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

I'm hitting a wall on this and need MexConnect's collective wisdom.

I have a new Nissan X-Trail, Mexican-plated, with liability, theft, comprehensive and collision coverage through ANA Segurus. Coverage is limited to the vehicle being in Mexico. But they also include a US$100,000 liability rider from National Unity in Texas for trips to the US. The rider says it's valid "only for drivers who permanently reside in Mexico, and visit the United States or Canada for 28 consecutive days at a time or less. No coverage is provided for physical damage to insured vehicle."

I spoke with National Unity and I meet their relaxed definition of "permanently reside", which is residence in Mexico, no residence in the U.S., and a Mexican driver's license. Residente Permanente or citizenship isn't required.

I can live with the 28 day limit for an upcoming driving trip north. I can't live without having theft, collision and physical damage coverage on a new vehicle. And I would want more than US$100,000 of liability. National Unity can sell me a $200K policy, but none of the other coverages. Ditto for http://www.segurospaisano.com, although they will go to $300K liability.

My Mexican agent was told by ANA Segurus that no Mexican company offers physical damage, etc., for US trips. They said buy your insurance at the border. I've called agents with insurance companies at the border and struck out. I've called national companies like Geico, Progressive, State Farm, etc. and they won't touch a Mexican-plated vehicle for a US citizen.

Older threads on MexConnect like these have considered the insurance issue, but usually only from the liability angle.
http://www.mexconnect.com/...orum.cgi?post=137328
http://www.mexconnect.com/...orum.cgi?post=168905

I think I've set up a situation for myself that is currently unsolvable: wanting theft, physical damage and collision coverage for a Mexican-plated vehicle being driven on a "tourist" trip to the U.S.

This is going to be more of a problem in time as folks move to Residente Permanente and decide to buy new or newer vehicles here and don't want to drive north for visits without decent insurance coverage to protect their investment.

Any suggestions for companies to contact are welcome. Mexican companies like www.segurogringo.com weren't any help either.

Maybe the lesson is to only buy a used beater in Mexico so that liability is all that's needed. Oh, well.

-- Thanks... Mark E.

(This post was edited by at7mbe on Jul 3, 2013, 12:13 PM)

chicois8

Jul 3, 2013, 12:07 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

When traveling north each year back to the USA I see many insurance companies selling coverage as you get closer to the border, I am sure these companies are selling insurance for Mexican plated cars to be covered while in the USA......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Jul 3, 2013, 4:52 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

That's correct, and you have received good advice: buy your insurance at the border.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

at7mbe

Jul 3, 2013, 4:53 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

Thanks chicois8, but just to be clear and perhaps more concise. I already have liability insurance good in the US on my Mex-plated vehicle. I'm looking for concrete information on obtaining theft, collision and physical damage coverage, good in the US, for a Mex-plated vehicle. ANA Seguros tells me that no companies in Mexico do that. I can't be driving to the border stopping in at storefronts trying to find a product that may not exist. I'm posting here to see if anyone has confronted this problem and found a solution.
-- Mark E.

cindym

Jul 3, 2013, 5:33 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1542 views)

Shortcut

I think your problem is wanting to buy selective coverage, you may need to buy another more inclusive policy. Most companies don't cherry pick the coverage, as liability is the basic coverage, then they add to that.

at7mbe

Jul 3, 2013, 7:07 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cindym] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

Fair enough cindym. I'm happy to ignore the existing US liability coverage on my Mex-plated vehicle, since I didn't pay for it anyway. It was a freebie thrown in with my normal coverage in Mexico.

So that still leaves me looking for the name of a company or agent who will sell me short-term liability, theft, collision and physical damage coverage as a complete package, good in the US, on a Mex-plated vehicle. Any concrete suggestions short of driving north and hoping to find something by going door-to-door?

None of the big US insurance companies I called will provide this insurance, and I'm told that no Mexican company will provide such a U.S. package either. Someone privately suggested contacting Lloyds of London for their reputation in insuring non-standard items, but I think they're more interested in insuring oil platforms or maritime fleets than 30-days of a dinky Nissan X-Trail.

If there's no solution, well, that's life and the car will stay in Mexico. But others need to be aware of this potential problem when considering buying a Mex-plated vehicle that they later want to drive north. They are free to do so, but right now it appears they will do so with liability-only coverage.

-- Mark E.

cindym

Jul 4, 2013, 9:55 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1459 views)

Shortcut

Here is one site http://www.segurospaisano.com/

at7mbe

Jul 5, 2013, 1:41 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cindym] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

@cindym. I mentioned segurospaisano in my original post. They are liability only. However, I may have found a simpler solution to my problem. I will post details when I double-check and confirm. If validated, segurospaisano may yet be useful for a liability-only policy for US$300K and for a longer period than the 28-day limit provided by National Unity with my Mexican Policy.
-- Mark E.

robt65

Jul 5, 2013, 2:58 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

Hello Esperanza,

I have checked with my NOB insurance company and they tell me that they do have not only liability insurance coverage for Mexican Plated cars but also full coverage and or other areas of protection also. I am going back up in about 10 days and my agent is going to get all the particulars for me including various coverage's for Mexican plated cars including the liability coverage's.

I have also checked at the border at those insurance holes in the wall sales desks and the costs are only for Liability insurance of $300,000 USD and no other protection can be bought such as that or total coverage etc. The cost is $100 USD and up depending on the place you check with. There are some real scammers in some of those places so be careful.

As soon as I have the hard facts in hand with their differing costs, I will put that information on here at MexConnect. I will not put any information on here that I do not have in hard print.

Regards,

Robt65

at7mbe

Jul 5, 2013, 4:37 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Physical damage and theft coverage for Mex vehicle in US

I want to publicly thank Robt65 who corresponded with me in private messages trying to find a solution to my original question. For those interested in liability-only coverage, there is little reason to rely on hole-in-the-wall operators if the cost for $300K liability for a month is upwards of US$100. It's easier to do from the comfort of your home with the previously noted http://segurospaisano.com/, where one can purchase $300K liability for US$114 for 30 days, and $139 for three months.

For my original question of liability + theft + collision + physical damage, it appears I went down the rabbit hole based on bad information from my local agent. Thanks to a very perceptive agent at one of the US companies I called, MXGA, I went back and read the territorial coverage clause in the 148-page policy booklet I had from ANA Seguros who insures my car in Mexico. And I found this:

Page 81, Cláusula 11a, TERRITORIALIDAD:
Las coberturas amparadas por esta póliza se aplicarán en caso de accidentes ocurridos dentro de la República Mexicana. La aplicación de las coberturas de Daños Materiales, Robo Total, Gastos Médicos Ocupantes, Equipo Especial, Adaptaciones y Conversiones, se extiende a los Estados Unidos de Norte América y Canadá.

In English,

Coverages protected by this policy shall apply to accidents occurring within Mexico. The application of Property Damage coverage, Total Theft, Medical Expenses of Occupants, Special Equipment, Adaptations and Conversions, extends to the United States of America and Canada.

So the items beyond liability that I insure for in Mexico extend to the US and Canada. Only liability stops at the border, and for that ANA Seguros included a US$100,000 liability policy from National Unity of Texas. If I want more than $100K, I can purchase a higher liability amount from National Unity via SegurosPaisano.com.

This insurance mirrors coverage I had on a small RV from National Interstate of Ohio. My US policy did not extend liability to Mexico, but for $5 they extended my theft, physical damage and collision to Mexico.

I hope this thread wasn't in vain, and that anyone purchasing a Mexican-plated vehicle that they want to drive to the US closely examine their insurance policy document to see if US coverage is there. As I found out, you can't rely on your agent, since they typically will have little experience in this area.

For those policies lacking physical damage and theft in the US, robt65 may have a solution in a few weeks.

-- Mark E.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4