Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

erocs

Jun 29, 2013, 10:23 AM

Post #1 of 15 (16421 views)

Shortcut

Help with Mexican children passports

Can't Post | Private Reply
We need some help please. My wife and I are Canadians living in Canada, who sponsor two Mexican girls ages 6 and 10, each year, so they can go to school. The girls live in Neuvo Progresso Mexico with their parents.

We have a Mobile home in Pharr, Texas, so we are Winter Texans. We get to visit the family every year, and spend quality time with them. We do not speak Spanish, but manage to communicate in all sorts of ways. They are now like our extended family. The two girls are super smart.

The girls are anxious to visit us in Texas, and eventually in Canada. My wife and I are certainly in favor of this. The girls' parents are also in favor of the girls getting their passports, so this can happen. The family has very little money, so we are prepared to pay the costs for passports and travel.

Based on my research, it appears the girls would be able to obtain 6 year(Maximum) Mexican passports...if the correct documents are presented, and they go to an appointment with one or both parents? I am unable to find out where this would happen, Monterrey or Reynosa? Their mother has a high school education, so I think she will be able to do what is necessary.

If, (and we would rather hope when) they obtain their passports, and again based on my research, It would be best if they have their valid passports, but also a notarized letter from their parents giving the girls permission to travel back to Texas with us for a visit. Their parents would have no difficulty supplying such a letter, just a matter of getting it notarized.

We are only twenty minutes from the border, so more than one visit while we are in Texas is certainly a possibility.

So I would appreciate anyone being able to help us as a first step...so that we know exactly what documents they require, where they have to go, and what the cost is to obtain their passports?

After that I think that getting the letter prepared and notarized would be fairly easy for us to accomplish.

If there is anything I am missing, I would appreciate that information as well...

thank you in advance

Jim
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

cbviajero

Jun 30, 2013, 8:15 AM

Post #2 of 15 (16391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [erocs] Help with Mexican children passports

Getting Mexican passports for the girls should be easy,that said,getting them visas allowing them to visit the US could be very difficult.
It's very nice what you're doing for these girls,good luck.
PS;You might want to post this in "General"forum.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Jun 30, 2013, 8:19 AM)

erocs

Jun 30, 2013, 8:26 AM

Post #3 of 15 (16384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Help with Mexican children passports

Thank you for the reply...yes I will post it in General, I only thought that because they live in Neuvo Progresso which is in Tamaulipas, that someone that lives there, or near there might be able to help.

So far..I have not been able to find where they would also need a Visa for a visit. I realize that Visa's are required for things like extended stays, work, school, etc..

please keep the replies coming folks....

Rolly

Jun 30, 2013, 9:39 AM

Post #4 of 15 (16361 views)

Shortcut

The girls must have USA visas to enter the country. Unfortunately these will be very difficult or impossible to get.

Rolly Pirate

erocs

Jun 30, 2013, 9:43 AM

Post #5 of 15 (16357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Help with Mexican children passports

thank you for the reply, however I don't believe anything is impossible, difficult or very difficult maybe. Perhaps you could give a reason(s) for your comments....that would be helpful.

(This post was edited by erocs on Jun 30, 2013, 9:44 AM)

GringoCArlos

Jun 30, 2013, 9:57 AM

Post #6 of 15 (16349 views)

Shortcut

Here is the website for the Mexican passports (in Spanish of course):
http://www.sre.gob.mx/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=242&Itemid=264

The local SRE office in Reynosa for Mexican passports is :
Blvd Hidalgo con Blvd Vista Hermosa, CP 88730, Reynosa, Tamaulipas
Tele: (899) 922-0922
Office hours: 8:00-16:00 Mon-Fri
Information tele # in MX only: 01 800 5000 773 Mon-Fri 8:00-20:00 M-F

Passport application info:
-By appointment only
-The minor children must appear in person, with a parent
-Fill out application in black ink, printed, by hand
-----------------
Documents needed for children:
--Certified birth certificates AND a copy , front and back
-School certification for primary, secondary or high school with photo and official school seal OR a sconstancia OR a valid school credential with photo OR a medical serrvice credential AND a copy, front and back
-Color photos, passport size, plain background, no earrings etc
------------------
Documents for parents:
-Cedula de identidad (their IFE carnet) AND a copy, front and back
--------------------
Cost for 6 years: MX$1310 plus there may be an additional local cost
-------------------
With their Mexican passport and other documents in hand, they can apply for a US visa for them at Matamoros.

Address:
U.S. Consulate
Ave Primera y Azaleas
Matamoros, Tamaulipas
Tele: (52) (868) 812-4402 / 03 /08
Tourist visas for minors cost US$15.
Their website:
http://matamoros.usconsulate.gov/

Info for the US Embassy / visas to the US for the kids:
http://mexico.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visas.html

Here are my thoughts/ questions / doubts FWTW:
1. Someone with more knowledge than me will know what is necessary for the parents to give permission for their minor children to travel outside Mexico with nonfamily. Child kidnapping is a big thing here in Mexico, and child trafficking to the US is a big problem too. Both countries try to be very careful.
2. For a Mexican with limited means, getting a US visa is very difficult. It may be even more difficult for them or foreigners (Canadians) to get US visas for other foreigners who are minors (Mexicans) to visit them in the US. As Canadians, unless you have a US green card, I'm not sure if you can qualify to sponsor them for their US visas.

To get the visas necessary, the underlying thoughts for the US Consulate is that the kids will go back to Mexico, on time, after their visit to the US, and that they are coming for a legitimate reason. For the Mexican authorities, that once their minor citizens go out of the country with foreigners, that they will be safe, and safely returned to their parents in Mexico after their visit.

Good luck in your quest.

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Jun 30, 2013, 10:11 AM)

robt65

Jun 30, 2013, 10:09 AM

Post #7 of 15 (16337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] Help with Mexican children passports

Now that's the information the OP was looking for . . . . . . . Good for you OP, . . . . . . Good for you CarlosGringo! go for "erocs" . . . . . While I also think it will probably very difficult if not impossible, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I always say . . . . . the only thing for sure in Mexico, is that nothing is for sure!

Regards,
Robt65

erocs

Jun 30, 2013, 10:09 AM

Post #8 of 15 (16337 views)

Shortcut

GringoCArlos,

thank you very much...I really appreciate you taking the time to give us very good information, that helps a great deal.

I can certainly understand the child kidnapping issue, and both countries hesitation in giving out documents too easily.

Our intentions from the beginning of all of this is to give these kids a chance, whether it be school education which they are getting and excelling at presently, and/or travel which is another education in itself.

If they get to visit us great! If that turns out to be too difficult(not impossible) then we will still help them financially to get their passports, and their parents also. Then I believe they would be able to walk/drive across the International Bridge at Neuvo Progresso, and visit with us on the American Side.

There are hundreds of Mexican families every weekend, who come across the bridge into the United States to go shopping at the various stores in the shopping centers in the neighboring Cities that extend from areas like Weslaco to further south where we winter in Pharr.

thanks again for your help.

erocs

Jun 30, 2013, 10:12 AM

Post #9 of 15 (16334 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Help with Mexican children passports

robt65,

thanks for the encouragment...I am not one to give up easily

GringoCArlos

Jun 30, 2013, 10:17 AM

Post #10 of 15 (16330 views)

Shortcut

If your quest to bring them over for a US visit fails, you could take them traveling to many other areas of Mexico to see what is there. All of you would see new things. Maybe Mama could tag along and see new things too.

Most Mexicans don't even realize what other parts of their own country are like, which explains the popularity of the TV show "Gringo en Mexico" or "GEM" with Mexicans.

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Jun 30, 2013, 10:18 AM)

erocs

Jun 30, 2013, 10:22 AM

Post #11 of 15 (16324 views)

Shortcut

Thanks again GringoCArlos...another option that makes it not an "impossible" situation. Something to consider...i think the furthest they have been is Monterrey.

Rolly

Jun 30, 2013, 2:32 PM

Post #12 of 15 (16292 views)

Shortcut

There is a lot of good first-hand information in this rather long thread.
http://www.mexconnect.com/...i?post=165697#165697

Rolly Pirate

AlanMexicali

Jul 1, 2013, 4:19 AM

Post #13 of 15 (16249 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I have crossed at the San Ysidro border crossing on foot many times. The first few times I did not realized the far right lines are for Mexicans and other non USA citizens or US immigrants that have foreign passports only and got in these few lines inside the Custom´s building.

I could not change lines at that point.

The officers at the door were busy directing other people at the time as to which line to get into and I missed him/her,

They went very slow.

I could see the US officers scrutinizing the people for a long time. Many had other papers they were showing the officers.

In the end it appears the 2 times I waited in these lines about 65% were taken away by an officer and returned back to Mexico. Refused entrance.

Mexicans do not need to get a I-94 form if they are not traveling past the free zone in San Diego, about 45 to 60 miles from the border. The I-94 forms are processed at a small building just before the entrance to the customs building so it is hard to say what real % were denied altogether.

I presume other foreigners with passports , if there were any those days, inside the building had I-94 forms already and were just reentering the US.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 1, 2013, 4:23 AM)

erocs

Jul 1, 2013, 4:52 AM

Post #14 of 15 (16245 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Thank you Rolly

erocs

Jul 1, 2013, 4:54 AM

Post #15 of 15 (16244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Help with Mexican children passports

Thank you AlanMexicali

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4