Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

onebusyman

Jun 25, 2013, 6:33 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3074 views)

Shortcut

Traveling Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Leon

Can't Post | Private Reply
On July 4th I will head out from Bucerias (near PV) and spend a week exploring Guanajuato state; Leon, Dolores Hidalgo, San Miguel, Guanajuato city. I have researched places to see, things to do. Having a problem deciding on hotels, especially if I use Guanajuato and San Miguel as home bases and do day trips from there. Have not decided if I will spend some nights in Leon.

Any suggestions on hotels from your recent experience? I will be driving over so need parking of some sort. I've read that downtown hotels can be very noisy so edge of town is fine with me too. I am happy to park the truck and taxi or walk as well.

thanks for your insights......Dave

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Jun 25, 2013, 7:06 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Traveling Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Leon

When we go to Guanajuato city we stay at Casa Zuniga, which is next to the funicular and Pipila monument. Rick and Carmen are excellent hosts and have put together a wonderful B&B. Rooms are comfortable, breakfast is ample and satisfying, and Rick can tell you about all the sights of the city and region. He has made arrangements with a small parking lot nearby, so parking is free (a real bonus in that city), and he gives you a 10-punch card for rides on the funicular (the only reasonable way to get up and down the hills unless you really like climbing stairs). Wonderful views of the city and worth every peso.

Email is zuniluna@msn.com. The bare-bones website is http://www.casazunigagto.com/. I think it would make a good base for exploring the area, though driving in Gto is "unusual," to put it mildly.

Have fun--N.

chinagringo

Jun 25, 2013, 8:19 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Traveling Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Leon

Because we typically have a fully loaded vehicle, secure parking is a prime consideration when picking hotels.

Some suggestions based upon our personal experiences:
a) LEON - the primary purpose of our visit was to fully explore the Zona Piel (leather zone). We picked the Holiday Inn directly accross the street. Definitely a modern Gringo/business style hotel with good parking.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/..._and_Gulf_Coast.html
b) GUANAJUATO - we chose the Camino Real because of the location and the fact that it had secure parking inside a walled/gated compound. Very typical Camino Real with large rooms and nice grounds but we didn't partake of the ammenities, so cannot comment on them. While it served the purpose, it was a bit expensive for our needs. Driving in/around Guanajuato is a well known nightmare but taxi are very inexpensive and handy to explore the city.
http://www.caminoreal.com/guanajuato
c) SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE - San Miguel has a reputation for overpriced hotels and for our prefered budget, we found the Best Western Monteverde Express to be the ticket. Even with the Best Western branding, this is a more typical Mexican type hotel in what may have been an old hacienda. Parking is "within the walls" and the location about five or six blocks from the main plaza makes walking an easy option. We found best rates by booking through the Best Western International website to be the source of the best rates which often produced questions at the front desk but they always honored the rates. Since we have business to conduct in Dolores Hidalgo, this location provides easy access to the Dolores Hidalgo hwy.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/...co_and_Gulf_Coa.html
d) DOLORES HIDALGO -From our experience, we found Dolores severely lacking in hotels and restaurants. We did try the El Relicario on one trip and decided never again! Decent lunch or afternoon meals were attainable but dinner options were minimal. While we enjoy Dolores, we have found staying in San Miguel to be a better option.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4