Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

carroll6

Jun 24, 2013, 11:44 PM

Post #1 of 19 (11105 views)

Shortcut

CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi. I have watched some of the threads on here. I want to drive to Chetumal, Quintana Roo. I used that Calculator for the tolls and was surprised that it said "$6500 MXP" for the trip. I am using GOOGLE's recommended route from Nueva Laredo. Can you help me out? It is daunting.

UPDATE.. wait it was Nueva laredo! DUH

(This post was edited by carroll6 on Jun 25, 2013, 4:58 PM)

chicois8

Jun 25, 2013, 7:37 AM

Post #2 of 19 (11083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carroll6] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

On this Mexican Gov. site it lists tolls at 1613 pesos and 2419 KM...

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

mazbeach

Jun 25, 2013, 9:18 AM

Post #3 of 19 (11065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

Great site. We've used it for driving all over Mexico for years and it's always been reasonably accurate.

chinagringo

Jun 25, 2013, 9:33 AM

Post #4 of 19 (11060 views)

Shortcut

You don't say when you are traveling but if soon, you may wish to be aware that Hwy 15 is being reported as closed because of roadblocks by the Yaqui. This has been the case for over a week and in order to bypass one has to take a 350km detour without gas facilities.

http://www.chapala.com/....php?showtopic=44786
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Jun 25, 2013, 9:54 AM

Post #5 of 19 (11058 views)

Shortcut

No matter what I do, I cannot make Google Maps send me from Kansas City to Chetumal MX via Nogales ....unless I tell it specifically that I want to go to Nogales first! That is 1,000 miles out of the way. Maybe you left out some part.

So unless you are wanting/having to go that way, just drive down to Laredo Tx. and enter there. If there is a reason that you are ending up near Tucson first, the wise money is to drive as long as you can staying in the US (Interstate 10 to San Antonio and then down to Laredo, mas or menos). Better roads, no tolls, less potential for 'error' and so on.

playaboy

Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 AM

Post #6 of 19 (11040 views)

Shortcut

The cheapest way would be to stay in the USA as long as you can. Gas is cheaper in TX than Mexico now. So that means taking the eastern route, Brownsville, Ciudad Victoria, Tampico, Veracruz. At Veracruz you can get on the cuota to Villahermosa or take the free road. After Villahermosa it is mostly 2 lane roads to Chetumal. Practically no tolls along this whole way. This will be your cheapest route.

Safety is another question only you can decide.

carroll6

Jun 25, 2013, 5:10 PM

Post #7 of 19 (11017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

The Calculator... Yes.. I was doing it wrong! Sorry about that and thank you!!

(This post was edited by carroll6 on Jun 25, 2013, 5:15 PM)

carroll6

Jun 25, 2013, 5:11 PM

Post #8 of 19 (11016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

Rick you are so right! It was Nueva Laredo.. then around Monterrey.. duh!!

carroll6

Jun 26, 2013, 2:30 AM

Post #9 of 19 (10977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

Man..thanks for the many replies! Maybe it would be better just to fly to Cancun.. take the Bus to Chetumal.

The reason I want to drive is that I have a crackpot scheme to take a motorized bicycle kit down there, buy a bicycle, and build it up. These kits are small, and do not weigh over 30lbs. They pack them up really tight to save money. Then I could putt around Quintana Roo with it. I want to see the small coastal towns such as XclaK. These kits are cheap, $139 for them..then replace the chinese bolts with American ones. There are several websites of guys that are getting really creative with them. I have been studying these all week long.

The Yaqui blockade there is scaring me. I had no idea there was such a drought.

I had thought, "well, why not just take the car down?" but it seems like it will be a can o' worms. I could risk losing my car, but cars get stolen here in Kansas CIty routinely. I want to swim, eat the food, see the ruins, and fish.

I just found a bus line, from Dallas TX that goes clear to Chetumal! It's Tornado Bus.. http://www.tornadobus.com/ dunno how good it is, or what class of buses they have. It's about $240 from Dallas, and you can carry up to 3 bags, even extra bags for a very cheap price.

(This post was edited by carroll6 on Jun 26, 2013, 4:51 AM)

RickS

Jun 26, 2013, 9:59 AM

Post #10 of 19 (10936 views)

Shortcut

One can fly 1-stop from Kansas City to Cancun (United Airlines) for $275 and do it in 8 hours! THEN take a nice bus down to Chetumal for $20. Problem solved. No stress. Get there the same day.

And for just a few more bucks (or free on some airlines) you could take your own bike with motorized kit already assembled on the plane with you.

carroll6

Jun 26, 2013, 11:23 AM

Post #11 of 19 (10923 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
One can fly 1-stop from Kansas City to Cancun (United Airlines) for $275 and do it in 8 hours! THEN take a nice bus down to Chetumal for $20. Problem solved. No stress. Get there the same day.

And for just a few more bucks (or free on some airlines) you could take your own bike with motorized kit already assembled on the plane with you.

Rick well, it is hard to believe that the Airlines will let you take a bike onboard..especially FREE! Man they want to charge you for just about everything these days. This whole motor kit is only 12"x 12"x8" at 25lbs. This surely is food for thought.. THANK YOU for replying! I read elsewhere that using Bus lines to ship freight is cheap, but don't know where to begin from my present spot at Kansas City, MO. Other people think me crazy for wanting to go down to Mexico. Mexico is dangerous? Kansas City is dangerous..very. I live in the high crime area.

Why Chetumal? Affordable..and my big thing.. WARM ocean water to swim in. I don't suppose the Pacific side has that. I like to swim, preferably in a lagoon. I dont like cold water. I like shrimp too.

RickS

Jun 26, 2013, 1:48 PM

Post #12 of 19 (10908 views)

Shortcut

..."it is hard to believe that the Airlines will let you take a bike onboard..especially FREE"

All the way to Cancun, you are probably right. But they will let one transport a bike if it is in a box, either hardsided or cardboard. My wife and I flew Denver to Tampa non-stop last winter. Southwest allowed us to check our bikes as one of our two pieces of checked luggage.... free! Others I checked would do so but for $50 each which ain't all that bad either.

ashleyjohn

Aug 8, 2013, 12:46 AM

Post #13 of 19 (10184 views)

Shortcut

The route between Kansas City and Chetumal is quite long and due various tolls on the road driving is usually very expensive.

Thanks
John
kansascityairportcarrentals.com

karenanron

Aug 8, 2013, 5:54 PM

Post #14 of 19 (10121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ashleyjohn] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

We just got home in Utah driving fron Playa del Carmen, Q Roo and the tolls were $1056 mx. That is going the inland route, Arco Norte, 57D and leaving through the Columbia Bridge at Laredo.

RickS

Aug 8, 2013, 9:30 PM

Post #15 of 19 (10088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [karenanron] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

Could you describe the "inland route". $1000 pesos seems to be way low if traveling any/many toll roads prior to Arco Norte then 57D. It's just a little less than that from Guadalajara out through Laredo.

playaboy

Aug 9, 2013, 12:19 AM

Post #16 of 19 (10083 views)

Shortcut

Rick, that would be about right. There aren't many autopistas in the beginning only 2 lane free roads.

Paamul to Chetumal to Villahermosa you only have a couple of inexpensive tolls on bridges and one autopista toll. That is first 500+ miles of the trip. The autopistas start west of Villahermosa.

Villahermosa to Veracruz, on the autopista you have maybe 3 tolls. I think there are only a couple from Veracruz to the Arco Norte. The most expensive tolls start at the Arco Norte thru the San Luis Potosi bypass and then again from Saltillo to the border.

It is little cheaper than the Guad to Laredo route.

Ron, did the bats tattoo your truck much?

karenanron

Aug 9, 2013, 7:52 AM

Post #17 of 19 (10046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

The truck come out pretty good, but the bats did leave their mark. My route was 307 to 186, 180 to 145, 150 to Arco Norte. Then 57 to Saltillo, 40to 85 to Nuevo Laredo. Went through 19 toll booths.

RickS

Aug 9, 2013, 10:01 AM

Post #18 of 19 (10028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [karenanron] CHeapest way from Kansas City, to Chetumal, MX

Thanks for that feedback, karenanron. 1600 miles for $85 is great. I was assuming that cuotas 180D, 145D, 150D and the 'new'
57D Arco Norte would add much more to the ride, pesos-wise.

karenanron

Aug 9, 2013, 12:54 PM

Post #19 of 19 (10010 views)

Shortcut

The Arco Norte was $285 and I had to pay at the Columbia Bridge, $205. Tolls between Paamul and Villahermosa was $40. The second day we drove from Villahermosa to San Louis Potosi at a cost of $1016. From SLP to the Columbia Bridge cost us $523. Looks like I didn't add right on my first post.

(This post was edited by karenanron on Aug 9, 2013, 1:18 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4