Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Rolly

Jun 16, 2013, 2:37 PM

Post #1 of 7 (7470 views)

Shortcut

Moderate earthquake near México City

Can't Post | Private Reply
A 5.8 shakes buildings and knocks out some power in México City.
http://www.usatoday.com/...ity-jolapan/2427779/

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Jun 16, 2013, 3:19 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Moderate earthquake near México City

Moderate hell! It shook us harder than the 7.8 quake did on March 20, 2012. I know what the actual Richter Scale number is, but rather than a rolling quake, this one was a vertical shaker. I had just gone to sleep...just in that one-second-past-drifted-off place, and man oh man, the bed started jumping, the wind chime that is our little personal alarm system started banging, a crystal bell that Judy keeps hanging on a lamp as a back-up warning started ding ding ding-ing, the fan chains were leaping around, and it scared the bejeezus out of us. It only lasted 20 seconds or so, but it seemed like an eternity! I was gripping the edges of the bed so I wouldn't fall out! We both got on Facebook and all our DF pals were posting like crazy--one couple at the movies with their teenagers, one couple out on a date, etc.

And another friend posted this morning: "I wasn't home when the earthquake hit just after midnight. When I did get home, I discovered dishes tossed around, clothing strewn on the floor, garbage not in the can, etc. Then I though, oops, can't blame that on the earthquake, it was this way when I left the house." (A little earthquake humor.)

So moderate yes, but goodness, not moderate to live through it!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

fordmexico

Jun 16, 2013, 3:58 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7446 views)

Shortcut

We felt nothing here in Lomas de Lindavista, Tlanepantla (Edomex). A friend who came over from the Naucalpan area this morning did not even know about it until we told him. My wife's family who live in the Cuauhtémoc delegation in the D.F. felt it strongly like esperanza.

Our home is built on solid rock ledge so many times we do not feel the quakes or only very weakly. We did feel the 2012 quake mentioned by esperanza. I thought our house had been hit by a truck.

La Isla

Jun 16, 2013, 5:13 PM

Post #4 of 7 (7433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Moderate earthquake near México City

Me too, Esperanza! I live in colonia Cuauhtémoc and was reading quietly in bed when it started moving, almost jumping up and down. I didn't need to glance at my ceiling lamps to know what it was. I leaped out of bed, grabbed my bata, and, clutching it around me, I walked carefully down the winding staircase in my somewhat decrepit building to the street. When I got there, the neighbors who had arrived before me pointed out that I was barefoot! We all waited a few minutes, hoping that there wouldn't be any aftershocks, like there had been during that really serious quake a year ago in the spring, and then returned to our respective apartments. But, ¡qué emoción! for a few minutes.

(This post was edited by La Isla on Jun 16, 2013, 5:16 PM)

rayitodeluna

Jun 18, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #5 of 7 (7363 views)

Shortcut

We felt it here (way north) , but not as bad as others describe. We still happened to be up when the (still in construction) light fixtures/hanging bulbs started to sway and I did too washing dishes. Godo thing my husband was awake and felt it too or I would have thought I was going crazy ;)

I actually heard sirens, which I havent ever heard before. Did I hear correctly, or was what I heard merely something else? My husband was in another room (I was near the window) so he couldnt confirm if what I heard was the normal earthquake siren or not.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

Maesonna

Jun 18, 2013, 11:38 AM

Post #6 of 7 (7358 views)

Shortcut

Here is a video putting together some of the webcamsdemexico.com captures of the moment of the earthquake. I guess those flashes are transformers blowing up. Like many other districts, our power was lost – I was surprised it was restored so quickly – less than an hour later.

Gri-lango

Jun 19, 2013, 9:47 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Moderate earthquake near México City

Not "super" bad in the Lomas area (SW foothills). We did not lose power or see any damage.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4