Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

wfls

Jun 6, 2013, 8:34 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3302 views)

Shortcut

Purchasing a Used Light Work Truck (Nissan vs Toyota vs ??)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all!

I am a scuba instructor from Austin, Texas. You can read my full introduction in the following thread if you are interested, but suffice it to say that I will be spending 4-6 months a year in Quintana Roo for the next four-to-five years, beginning in October/November 2013.

Introduction: http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=190714

I am currently driving a beat-up Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight with Texas plates, and I would like to purchase a cheap, reliable light work truck with Texas plates. This truck will be used to ferry myself and my scuba equipment from Texas to RQ, through Tamuliapas, Veracruz, and Yucatan every Autumn and Spring. It needs to be able to be able to withstand a ton of abuse with few repairs, and those repairs have to be easy to arrange in Mexico

Both the Nissan D21 and Toyota Truck, made in the 1990's, seem to be up to the task. Both have long histories as a reliable work truck, and seem to be popular in Mexico. I was curious of any member of this board own one of these above trucks, or another similar light truck, and care to share their opinion on which you prefer?

Thanks!

wfls

Jun 6, 2013, 10:11 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wfls] Purchasing a Used Light Work Truck (Nissan vs Toyota vs ??)

Also curious what providers you have chosen for liability insurance in Mexico. I understand the rules for rental car insurance minimums have changed recently, but what about personal vehicles and temporary-import vehicles? I have coverage through USAA in Texas, and they recommend I use BRAVO insurance group out of Laredo, TX

http://bravomexinsure.com/

tashby

Jun 7, 2013, 9:16 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wfls] Purchasing a Used Light Work Truck (Nissan vs Toyota vs ??)

I call the Nissan "Estacas" the National Vehicle of Mexico. (Google image search....I think it's the same Nissan you're referring to.) I don't own one, but there are millions on the road here. I bet there's a good reason!

wfls

Jun 7, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Purchasing a Used Light Work Truck (Nissan vs Toyota vs ??)

Because they are easy to jump start? XD XD

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4