Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 6, 2013, 7:44 PM

Post #1 of 7 (8958 views)

Shortcut

Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

Can't Post | Private Reply

Is this the fate of Lake Chapala and Lake PŠtzcuaro, too?

Mexico Cityís ancient Xochimilco floating gardens are in ecological peril

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

dos gatos felices

Jun 7, 2013, 3:15 AM

Post #2 of 7 (8930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

How sad. Just last week I had told my daughter that I want to visit the canals twice. One trip would be a weekend one where we could soak up local vibes and energy. The second trip on a quieter weekday for photo taking and serenity. How naive.

It's not about me, however. It's just more sad news for the continent and world.

esperanza

Jun 7, 2013, 6:16 AM

Post #3 of 7 (8923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dos gatos felices] Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

By all means plan your trip. We often go and have a marvelous time.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Maesonna

Jun 7, 2013, 9:41 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dos gatos felices] Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

I agree, donít shelve the idea of the trip on account of the article. What it says is true, but even in the article itself it mentions that this process has been going on for a long time. Iíve been in the area of the canals for 15 years, and what is visible to the tourist has hardly changed over that period.

The idea of tasting both a lively trip on the weekend and a quiet trip on a weekday is excellent, and I recommend it to anyone who has the time.

esperanza

Jun 7, 2013, 10:10 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

There are few things more fun than going out on a trajinera (the boats that ply the Xochimilco canals) on a Sunday afternoon. It's like a combination of bumper boats, battle of the bands, and drive-in restaurants, with terrific interaction among the families and friends who are out enjoying the day. I recommend that you go to Embarcadero Nativitas to rent your boat--what fun!

You can arrange a weekday trip while you're there on Sunday. Tell them you want to go to the chinampas--the islands in the canals where organic produce is grown. You'll probably be taken through the locks to get to the other side of the canals--yet another kind of adventure.

Don't miss either trip, you'll love them both.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

dos gatos felices

Jun 7, 2013, 4:51 PM

Post #6 of 7 (8874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

Thank you all for those kind and encouraging words. I will definitely not pass up the chance to go to the canals. My daughter will soon be moving from Oaxaca to Mexico City for a new job and new opportunities in other areas of interest as well, so of course I am planning my next trip. I think it is sad for the world that such things are happening, that's all.

Esperanza, I am very interested in organic gardening, so I will definitely want to see the gardens you mentioned. Maybe we can find some good produce there to purchase.

tony

Oct 27, 2013, 10:24 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Xochimilco floating gardens, dying of neglect

Hi All,
This report is typical cheap, fear mongering journalism. Fish have nothing to do with how Zochimilco operate nowadays. People go there to ride in the boats, eat , drink, dance etc. It is as popular as ever. I was there a few months ago. Head on and have a great time.

Tony

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4