Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

bronco

May 29, 2013, 4:15 PM

Post #1 of 9 (18220 views)

Shortcut

solar heated pool question

Can't Post | Private Reply
my friend has a solar heated pool. by the time it reaches 3pm, the pool is more like a hot tub. not always possible to use in the summer. can he stop the heat?

johanson

May 29, 2013, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 9 (18206 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] solar heated pool question

Sure just turn the switch off. Its that simple. The switch you say? :) Yes, the switch that controls the pump that runs that water through the solar panels.

If there is a little solar induced circulation, also turn the valve off near the pump, something, I've never needed to do.

CanuckBob

May 30, 2013, 10:40 AM

Post #3 of 9 (18146 views)

Shortcut

There is almost always a bypass valve for the solar syatem and if not it is very cheap to have a bypass installed.

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

DavidHF

May 31, 2013, 5:15 AM

Post #4 of 9 (18086 views)

Shortcut

Put a timer switch on the pump.

bronco

May 31, 2013, 10:02 AM

Post #5 of 9 (18057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] solar heated pool question

i will tell my friend to see this forum. what is the cost of a timer switch, where does he get it, what is the cost?

sparks

May 31, 2013, 10:15 AM

Post #6 of 9 (18055 views)

Shortcut

Pool supply store?

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

GringoCArlos

Jun 2, 2013, 8:34 PM

Post #7 of 9 (17937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] solar heated pool question

The trouble with shutting off the panel with a valve is that water remains in the pipes. If there isn't a pressure relief valve and it heats up enough, the water will expand or turn into steam and possibly blow out a joint/connection to relieve the pressure inside.

Unlike a photovoltaic panel, your friend can just put a white covering over all or part of the panel to avoid heating up the water inside the panel. A tarp or a sheet of plywood painted white would work.

johanson

Jun 2, 2013, 10:03 PM

Post #8 of 9 (17927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] solar heated pool question

That is why you turn only one valve off, not two. That way, when any extra anything wants to leave it can. I have had hot water panels and photo-voltaic panels for years and have never had problems with pressure buildup. Oh yes, I either have only one valve closed or a pressure relief valve when necessary when talking about expanding water, or often steam.

Avispa

Jul 17, 2013, 10:52 AM

Post #9 of 9 (16782 views)

Shortcut

In Florida we run the pool pump at night to keep the temp lower in the summer. The radiative heat transfer reverses at night.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4