Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

ama angeni

May 22, 2013, 8:28 AM

Post #1 of 17 (11821 views)

Shortcut

car registration required in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
hello. i drove a mercedes into mazatlan in 2007. At the time it was connected with my FM3. i basically never drove it and after i applied for and got my FM2 because i was not able to drive "foreign plated car" with my type of visa and if stopped and discovered could have my car taken from me permanently. I decided last month to drive it back to the states because i could not afford what it would cost to nationalize that car(i am up for permenant resident this July). I did receive a 6 day permit to drive the car(from Aduana authorities for leaving Mexico)and a one time pass(from the US to drive to a DMV and register it pronto. When i got to DMV they asked me for 2 things. 1. Proof of Mexican registration(wow...i was under the impression that your car went with your FM3 and no one ever asked me to register it in mexico)and 2. Exit forms from customs when they take your sticker off at the border(i have gone through this process several times and never received any forms). DMV gave me some samples from US customs(form #'s 7501,3461,6059,3299,3311 all coming from homeland security and are not applicable to my situation). Also i was given some sample registration forms from Mexico(from DMV ) which all refer to nationalized cars which mine was not. DMV is requiring that i pay back registration here in Calif for 2009-2013 basically $585 plus late fees..around $750US if i cannot come up with these forms. The bottom line is i had a car that was in "non use" for those 5 years in Mexico .The DMV states that i needed a non-use permit from the US for 2009-2013 if i want to avoid back registration even though my car was in Mexico(huh?) I cant for the life of me see why i should pay the US any money for this time period when my car was inactive in Mexico and not on any road. Help.....I would appreciate any expert advice along these lines. thanks in advance

AlanMexicali

May 22, 2013, 10:11 AM

Post #2 of 17 (11790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ama angeni] car registration required in Mexico?

In Reply To
hello. i drove a mercedes into mazatlan in 2007. At the time it was connected with my FM3. i basically never drove it and after i applied for and got my FM2 because i was not able to drive "foreign plated car" with my type of visa and if stopped and discovered could have my car taken from me permanently. I decided last month to drive it back to the states because i could not afford what it would cost to nationalize that car(i am up for permenant resident this July). I did receive a 6 day permit to drive the car(from Aduana authorities for leaving Mexico)and a one time pass(from the US to drive to a DMV and register it pronto. When i got to DMV they asked me for 2 things. 1. Proof of Mexican registration(wow...i was under the impression that your car went with your FM3 and no one ever asked me to register it in mexico)and 2. Exit forms from customs when they take your sticker off at the border(i have gone through this process several times and never received any forms). DMV gave me some samples from US customs(form #'s 7501,3461,6059,3299,3311 all coming from homeland security and are not applicable to my situation). Also i was given some sample registration forms from Mexico(from DMV ) which all refer to nationalized cars which mine was not. DMV is requiring that i pay back registration here in Calif for 2009-2013 basically $585 plus late fees..around $750US if i cannot come up with these forms. The bottom line is i had a car that was in "non use" for those 5 years in Mexico .The DMV states that i needed a non-use permit from the US for 2009-2013 if i want to avoid back registration even though my car was in Mexico(huh?) I cant for the life of me see why i should pay the US any money for this time period when my car was inactive in Mexico and not on any road. Help.....I would appreciate any expert advice along these lines. thanks in advance

In California your annual registration fee is due for as long as you have Calif. plates, in your case many years. The way to avoid this fee is to fill out Non Use on the mailed to you registration renewal form that the vehicle will be stored and Non Use. The fee for this is about $9 US for the first year and subsequent years unless you go turn in your plates at DMV

ama angeni

May 22, 2013, 1:18 PM

Post #3 of 17 (11754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] car registration required in Mexico?

yes and my ex(who gave me the car)declared to the DMV that it will be registered elsewhere. I thought the registration was connected to the paperwork that entered my car into the country. Mexico did not require me(nor ask me, or send me forms to fill out )an when i put it out to pasture (not driving on the streets anywhere) i felt it the proper thing to do. When i made plans to enter the US with it again the US DMV were notified that the car was not registered and i was issued(a friend did it for me) a "one trip permit", which i presented to the DMV at the time of trying to register the car. They did not tell me to get proof of registration in Mexico or some paperwork from US customs at the border at that time. Why not? So i am still looking for solutions here....any help?

(This post was edited by ama angeni on May 22, 2013, 1:22 PM)

DavidHF

May 22, 2013, 3:37 PM

Post #4 of 17 (11716 views)

Shortcut

Your "proof of registration" is your TIP document. You did what Mexico required. Show DMV the document. Alternatively, get South Dakota reqistration. BTW, please refer to CA DMV, if that's who it is. Every State's DMV operates differently.

(This post was edited by DavidHF on May 22, 2013, 3:39 PM)

AlanMexicali

May 22, 2013, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 17 (11682 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
yes and my ex(who gave me the car)declared to the DMV that it will be registered elsewhere. I thought the registration was connected to the paperwork that entered my car into the country. Mexico did not require me(nor ask me, or send me forms to fill out )an when i put it out to pasture (not driving on the streets anywhere) i felt it the proper thing to do. When i made plans to enter the US with it again the US DMV were notified that the car was not registered and i was issued(a friend did it for me) a "one trip permit", which i presented to the DMV at the time of trying to register the car. They did not tell me to get proof of registration in Mexico or some paperwork from US customs at the border at that time. Why not? So i am still looking for solutions here....any help?

Years later and your Ex gets you again, I know how that feels. Alan

AlanMexicali

May 23, 2013, 4:09 AM

Post #6 of 17 (11625 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Let s see if I have this correct:

1. Car is a Calif. registered car.

2. You had a TIP many years ago.

3. You did take off the Calif. plates.

4. You got , Clay County, South Dakota plates and registration sent to you.

5. You drove to the Calif. Mexico border and had the TIP removed and did not ask for the receipt they can give you when turning in your TIP.

6. The title is not in your name but your exs name. He just signed the back of the title giving the car to you. You did not go into Ca. DMV to get a new title in your name.

7. You do not have your South Dakota current or old registration with you. You still have the SD plates on the car.

8. You own over $750 US in back registration fees.

9. You cannot get the title in your name or the car registered in Calif. without paying. the over $750 US.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on May 23, 2013, 4:22 AM)

mazbeach

May 23, 2013, 6:35 AM

Post #7 of 17 (11599 views)

Shortcut

Boy, you sure read a lot more into this thread than appears anywhere in the OP's responses. I think the OP is looking for a solution, not what looks like an "I told you so" bashing that assumes far too much.

joaquinx

May 23, 2013, 6:43 AM

Post #8 of 17 (11593 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] car registration required in Mexico?

In Reply To
Boy, you sure read a lot more into this thread than appears anywhere in the OP's responses. I think the OP is looking for a solution, not what looks like an "I told you so" bashing that assumes far too much.

I believe Alan is on the right track. The OP's story is so convoluted that it needed some clarification.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

AlanMexicali

May 23, 2013, 7:09 AM

Post #9 of 17 (11581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] car registration required in Mexico?

In Reply To

There are too many unclarified things to come to any real conclusion on what state of affairs she is in at the moment. I know if she could clarify things people can apply to have a hearing with Ca. DMV officials and get a break. It has been published in the San Diego newspaper a few times this is not out of the norm as car dealers in Calif. have a huge lobby in Sacramento and make the news sometimes. They got the proof of insurance eliminated from registering or renewing registration on cars, most probably because Insurance Companies now electronically notify Ca. DMV. They got a smog free passed for 5 years on new cars etc.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on May 23, 2013, 7:21 AM)

RickS

May 23, 2013, 6:28 PM

Post #10 of 17 (11488 views)

Shortcut

Well Alan, I kinda have the same thoughts as did Mazbeach. The post sounds a little 'parent/child' to me and basically of no value to the OP. Several of your points (3,4, 7) are huge assumptions right out of thin air.

I reread her post and, aside from the fact that a couple of more paragraphs might have made her post clearer, her thoughts seemed to flow for me and weren't hard to comprehend.

Her main problem is that California has this 'ridiculous' law about one's car title/license even after one moves from the state and domiciles elsewhere. She does state that her Ex did declare to California that the car was leaving the state; whether that actually happened or not or whether the declaration is not/did not get 'registered' is up for conjecture.

The fact that she did not get a new title (somewhere) in her name is unfortunate but not the end of the world.... and actually should be of no business to California as she left the state with the declaration (or not?). But I heard that California is real snooty about this kind of thing.... they covet your tax/registration monies.

Sounds like she did get a temporary import permit when she entered Mexico and stopped at the border to have it canceled when leaving but either did not or cannot remember getting the receipt (not a form) for canceling it when she left Mexico. With bigger fist to fry this is understandable.

What would help her now is some 'advice' on how to proceed.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 23, 2013, 8:15 PM)

RickS

May 23, 2013, 7:01 PM

Post #11 of 17 (11484 views)

Shortcut

Ama, if you are still around after 'taking a scolding', I have this advice although I am not an expert (at anything!):

Alan has stated that there is the possibility to request a Hearing with the Calif. DMV. See if you can find out how to pursue this opportunity.

Also see if you can find 'some' evidence that you had the car in Mexico all the time.... some leftover paperwork from your entry and exit. Upon exit (as they take the sticker off) they give one a 'narrow computer printout receipt' from Banjercito that shows that you had the car in Mexico, when you entered.... Fecha Expedicion... and when you left.... Fecha Y Hora de Retorno. There is no other 'form' that is given out. This would give you proof that you had the car out of California for the stated period of time. Absent this document, maybe you have a copy of some Mexican car insurance (assuming that you had some) showing some dates that you were paying and thus practically 'not in California'.

Repeat to the Hearing Board your claim that your EX says he declared the car would be exiting the State of California and that you were therefore resolved of any effort to comply with their (ridiculous) rule/law as you knew it had been done.

Maybe you can get a 'friend from you stay in Mexico' to give you a 'notarized' letter claiming that they knew you and know that you and the car were in Mexico from/to date.

The 'one trip permit' you got and presented to DMV might be valuable to show that 'you were trying to do the right thing' as you came out of Mexico.

Otherwise, get creative, get your ducks in a row and be assertive at the Hearing. You have done 'nothing wrong' other than maybe believe your EX had done what he said he did. You are a victim, not a perp!

Good Luck.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 23, 2013, 7:07 PM)

ama angeni

May 23, 2013, 8:58 PM

Post #12 of 17 (11450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] car registration required in Mexico?

Rick i want to thank you for this very useful post. i did call the sacto office today and request a private hearing of which they said i couldnt do(not for registration cases)so i went up the tier of managers to find an actual human who helped me in "Directors office of unusual circumstances. She knew more than anyone although didnt understand how visa and car status are connected in Mexico. However she said that she would except my tip and receit as registration proof and gave me a number of #3299 customs form that i have to fill out(assuring me i could do that with basic vin info that i have access to) and send to her along with the other paper work already accumulated for me while at DMV to complete my registration. She said i will not have to pay back fees and they will register me in Sacto...yipeeeeeeeeee....so thank you again for reinforcing what i know to be law and true in a maze of incompetence or is it just greed? blessings ama

RickS

May 23, 2013, 9:05 PM

Post #13 of 17 (11443 views)

Shortcut

Good! Glad things are working out for you.

mazbeach

May 24, 2013, 6:01 AM

Post #14 of 17 (11402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] car registration required in Mexico?

Me too!!!!

AlanMexicali

May 24, 2013, 1:10 PM

Post #15 of 17 (11345 views)

Shortcut

Good deal.

esperanza

May 24, 2013, 11:55 PM

Post #16 of 17 (11269 views)

Shortcut

Me three, good for you!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

YucaLandia

May 25, 2013, 7:09 AM

Post #17 of 17 (11248 views)

Shortcut

"Directors office of unusual circumstances"

Wow, every government agency should have one of these.

Well done !

Re TIP - INM permit connection:
You must have a valid INM permit, when you get a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) for a vehicle. Your TIP is then recorded using that INM permit number. Your TIP is only valid as long as you keep the INM permit valid, so, every year you are supposed to notify Aduana of your renewed INM permit's expiration date. Aduana then updates their records, using your new INM permit expiration date as their TIP expiration date.

This story is a dandy example of why we are better-off keeping every scrap of paper that governments give us. When the OP left Mexico, and cancelled her TIP, (if she waited for it), Aduana gives the person cancelling a TIP a document that proves where and when the TIP was cancelled. If the OP had kept this document, California could have used that as legal proof that the car was legally registered to be in Mexico for the "missing years".

It is so good to hear that you got your snarled-tangle of bureaucratic red-tape swept away by the California Office of Unusual Circumstances.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 25, 2013, 7:10 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4