Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

mauriciosaenz

May 21, 2013, 2:48 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3033 views)

Shortcut

Work in Oaxaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello. I'm planning to move to Oaxaca this fall but would like to get a job there before I go. I'm a 35 year old visual artist with 8 years experience teaching Art in the public school system in Texas, have a Master in Studio Art from a university in Spain, have experience also conducting workshops in contemporary art for professionals, speak English and Spanish at a 100% and feel very enthusiastic about the chance of moving down there, work hard and finally settle in a city that I've been craving for a long time.

I know English classes could be an option but I really want to leave this as a last resort and try to take advantage of my credentials and get paid decently.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Regards!

Imago

May 25, 2013, 6:46 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mauriciosaenz] Work in Oaxaca

I suggest you get all your college transcripts apostillized before you come here. You will need to have them (with a certified translation) in order to get a visa that allows you to work. There are public and private universities in Oaxaca, but generally the pay is not very good, even by Mexican standards. But having your papers in order will make it easier to find work.

geri

May 29, 2013, 5:31 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2869 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Imago] Work in Oaxaca

What do you mean by a decent wage? Almost every Mexican and many gringos I know in Oaxaca are visual artists. I think you need to do some research....like check out the unemployment rate in Mexico. Sorry to burst your bubble. Sometimes dreams don't work out. STill, maybe you can make yours work, but I think you need another resource. Most foreigners I know in Oaxaca or work on the Internet....or teach English. Imago gave you good information re how to do that.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4