Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

noxious.sunshine

May 20, 2013, 2:25 PM

Post #1 of 10 (41474 views)

Shortcut

Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

Can't Post | Private Reply
So I cook a lot of Mexican food, but there's a soup that I had in Phoenix that my ex there had gotten for me from a taco van on the west side.

It came in a shaved cantaloupe shell "bowl" (I think. That's what it looked like anyway), with, I'm assuming a juice made from the inside. I can't remember, but it was spicy and had shrimp in it.

Does anyone know what this could be or have a recipe for it? I'be looked everywhere for a recipe, but have found nothing similar to this.

Thanks!

Rolly

May 20, 2013, 2:50 PM

Post #2 of 10 (41467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [noxious.sunshine] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

You give the name as Calabaza = squash soup, so I'll bet the bowl was not cantaloupe, rather it was a butternut squash bowl..

Rolly Pirate

Anonimo

May 20, 2013, 3:16 PM

Post #3 of 10 (41460 views)

Shortcut

Re: [noxious.sunshine] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

I Googled Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones, and came up with this, for a start:
http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/...aron-y-calabaza.html.

It appears to be made from pumpkin and it looks delicious. You can also find recipes for cold cantaloupe soup with shrimp.
http://allrecipes.com.mx/...ones-y-aguacate.aspx
I imagine that you could save the cantaloupe shell halves and serve the soup in them. But I would prefer bowls.

What great ideas for hot weather meals!

Saludos,
Anonimo

rayitodeluna

May 29, 2013, 11:30 PM

Post #4 of 10 (41325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

In Reply To
I Googled Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones, and came up with this, for a start:
http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/...aron-y-calabaza.html.

It appears to be made from pumpkin and it looks delicious. You can also find recipes for cold cantaloupe soup with shrimp.
http://allrecipes.com.mx/...ones-y-aguacate.aspx
I imagine that you could save the cantaloupe shell halves and serve the soup in them. But I would prefer bowls.

What great ideas for hot weather meals!

Oh wow! Thanks for the cold melon con camarones rcipe, it looks divine!

Putting it on my to do list, ASAP!

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

Vichil

May 30, 2013, 7:11 PM

Post #5 of 10 (41291 views)

Shortcut

That Mexico desconocido recipe sounds totally tastelees. I basically make the same thing including the camarones secos but I had chicken broth rather than water and it makes a good tomatoe soup but if you add shrimp nd calabaza in that it does not add anything to the soup the calabazas are blanad and so are the shrimp unless you add a lot of spices, I would not spend a whole lot of time making that recipe or I would spice it up, The way it is , it is pretty uninteresting.

Anonimo

Jun 2, 2013, 2:59 AM

Post #6 of 10 (41240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

Vichil, you may be right.
For me, most recipes are just a guide, not an rule. One can adjust it to one's taste. After all, all of us have different tastes.

Disclosure: I haven't tried it yet, but in the past, I did make a chilled cantaloupe soup, without shrimp, and it was pretty blah.

Saludos,
Anonimo

rayitodeluna

Jun 3, 2013, 8:05 AM

Post #7 of 10 (41190 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Vichil, you may be right.
For me, most recipes are just a guide, not an rule. One can adjust it to one's taste. After all, all of us have different tastes.

Disclosure: I haven't tried it yet, but in the past, I did make a chilled cantaloupe soup, without shrimp, and it was pretty blah.

Man. I wonder, what one would need to add to give it more umpf? Agua de melon is my favorite water, canteloupe is my favorite snack and finding a soup recipe that features it would pretty much be a culinary dream come true. Besides the fact that I would live on shrimp if it didnt have so much sodium (and if it didnt cost so much! ) . My girlies both inherited a love of both shrimp and canteloupe as well...

Off to ask Senor Google what he thinks, perhaps some foodie blogs out there have sone suggestions!?

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

Vichil

Jun 3, 2013, 3:30 PM

Post #8 of 10 (41169 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

If you like these 2 flavors so much you probably would like the recipes, you can always spice them up , there is nothing in there that should not make it good. I love shrimp too and eat them as often as I can and I just realize I have a cantaloupe which I love too.

You guys inspired me, I have a recipe for Cantaloupe soup I got from a Spanish Friend, it is called crema fria de melon a la Hierbabuena and I am going to fix it for tomorrow, in that one the cantaloupe is cooked in port wine and I love that combination so cantaloupe, Port cream cantaloupe mint and d shrimp cannot be bad either. Not quite as healthy as the recipes Anonymo has posted but heck one in a while you have to try new things.

mazbook1

Jun 4, 2013, 1:00 PM

Post #9 of 10 (41139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

To make cantaloupe recipes with the strongest flavor of cantaloupe, make them with fully ripe cantaloupe. To choose a fully ripe cantaloupe to buy in the market, sniff the spot on the melon where it was disconnected from the vine. Those with full, ripe flavor (much better and stronger than most) will have a strong, distinct cantaloupe smell; those without this strong odor will not be fully ripe and only have so-so flavor, the reason that many folks use salt on them when eating slices.

Vichil

Jun 6, 2013, 7:31 AM

Post #10 of 10 (41096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Help! Sopa de Calabaza con Camarones

Yes it is how you chose a cantaloupe but it is still a question of luck . We were lucky we picked one that was really ripe and flavorfull cooked it in a little water and port salt and pepper when the water came to a boil then in the blender , then when it was cool some creal with a little more port some mint and some cooked shrimps and it was nice but port is not bad without anything...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4