Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

EricWoods

May 15, 2013, 9:19 PM

Post #1 of 10 (9664 views)

Shortcut

Value of Personal Items Coming Into Baja

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,
i just read an article on BAJA 123 Real Estate Site i think that something dont sound right on it, it says that a foreign visitor entering Baja can only have $75usd value of goods without paying duty, i have planned on driving from Virginia in June to check out the Rosarito Beach area & Ensenada with a serious view to moving there if i like it, however how can one possibly limit what they would have realisticly to 75usd i was planning on bringing my Laptop computer $350 value Cell Phone $200, Gps Navigation $125 i know your clothes don't count in this if they did one would have to enter nude it doesn't mention cash so i am not sure how much you are allowed to bring, please someone tell me that what i have read is incorrect if it is true i better forget about coming down, or do you pay temporary import duty on entry and get a refund when leaving again if not i cannot believe how anyone would ever want to go there, dont get me wrong i am not grumbling i just had so much research done in the area and this has knocked me for 10 will be very dissapointed if i need to cancel my other option was a move to Portugal but Mexico was the #1 preference, all information will be much appreciated,
Thanks in Advance
Eric

EricWoods

May 18, 2013, 11:02 PM

Post #2 of 10 (9608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EricWoods] Value of Personal Items Coming Into Baja

Hey,
i am kind of surprised that no one has answered my posting in some shape or form, theres gotta be someone on here who has recently travelled through the border crossing, i just find it hard to take in that you would be limited to bringing in goods up to $75 usd this sound way way low to me,
Eric

chicois8

May 19, 2013, 6:34 AM

Post #3 of 10 (9590 views)

Shortcut

I think if you were to re read the site it would give you a list of items that are exempt like, laptop,cigars,cigarettes, health items,personal items,etc.........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Rolly

May 19, 2013, 9:56 AM

Post #4 of 10 (9566 views)

Shortcut

Read here http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...jeros/139_10210.html

Rolly Pirate

Brian

May 19, 2013, 10:23 AM

Post #5 of 10 (9557 views)

Shortcut

Personal and even used household items will get you just waived through. If you do move down there (I lived in San Antonio del Mar for several years) you will find that most electronic and large purchases are cheaper to buy in San Diego or Chula Vista. What most Tijuanenses and expats do is make their purchases and discard the box and packing materials in the store parking lot. Instantly the items are declared as used. Its all a game of which the Aduana officials are well aware but it works more often than not. If you have a whole lot of stuff, rather than bringing it across all at once, you can put it in storage in San Ysidro and taking it down a little at a time. I'm sure that some folks have gotten a menaje de casa for their belongings but I never knew any who did. On the mainland, the rules are tight but Baja marches to its own drum.

RickS

May 19, 2013, 10:29 AM

Post #6 of 10 (9550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Value of Personal Items Coming Into Baja

So Brian, in Baja is there a 'Declare' and a 'No Declare' line?

Brian

May 19, 2013, 10:50 AM

Post #7 of 10 (9546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Value of Personal Items Coming Into Baja

In Reply To
So Brian, in Baja is there a 'Declare' and a 'No Declare' line?

Of course, but especially at times of peak traffic in the weekday afternoon, it can be difficult to get over into the declaration lane. When that happens, if you get the red, no big deal. You will be inspected and required to pay on the value of your stuff. Most of the time, you will get the green. No pasa nada.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/New-Border-Crossing-El-Chaparral-Opens--176050641.html

(This post was edited by Brian on May 19, 2013, 10:56 AM)

EricWoods

May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM

Post #8 of 10 (9499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Value of Personal Items Coming Into Baja

Many thanks to Rolly and everyone else that offered info, i just could not believe that it would have been set as low as $75 usd
Thanks Again
Eric

Brian

May 20, 2013, 4:12 AM

Post #9 of 10 (9487 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Many thanks to Rolly and everyone else that offered info, i just could not believe that it would have been set as low as $75 usd
Thanks Again
Eric

It isn't $75 but rather $150 and has been for several years. My knowledge of dealings at the border came from daily crossings to work in San Diego. Word of mouth. For some reason, there is a resistance by some to acknowlege that things are different for Baja residents versus those in the interior in so many ways.

Notice that in the link Rolly provided there is a section as the law pertains to border residents whether Mexican citizens or not. That is where you will find the franquicia amount of $150 per crossing for those individuals.

(This post was edited by Brian on May 20, 2013, 4:28 AM)

AlanMexicali

May 21, 2013, 7:14 AM

Post #10 of 10 (9409 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi,
i just read an article on BAJA 123 Real Estate Site i think that something dont sound right on it, it says that a foreign visitor entering Baja can only have $75usd value of goods without paying duty, i have planned on driving from Virginia in June to check out the Rosarito Beach area & Ensenada with a serious view to moving there if i like it, however how can one possibly limit what they would have realisticly to 75usd i was planning on bringing my Laptop computer $350 value Cell Phone $200, Gps Navigation $125 i know your clothes don't count in this if they did one would have to enter nude it doesn't mention cash so i am not sure how much you are allowed to bring, please someone tell me that what i have read is incorrect if it is true i better forget about coming down, or do you pay temporary import duty on entry and get a refund when leaving again if not i cannot believe how anyone would ever want to go there, dont get me wrong i am not grumbling i just had so much research done in the area and this has knocked me for 10 will be very dissapointed if i need to cancel my other option was a move to Portugal but Mexico was the #1 preference, all information will be much appreciated,
Thanks in Advance
Eric

No duty on the following for personal use:

CAPITULO 1.3.
Padrones de Importadores y Exportadores.

XIV. Las efectuadas por personas físicas para su uso personal, hasta por el número de unidades por pedimento que se encuentren contenidas en la siguiente lista, siempre que no se tramiten más de 2 pedimentos por un mismo importador al año:

XIV. Those made by individuals for their personal use, up to the number of motion [pedimento] units that are contained in the following list, provided that no more than 2 motions [pedimentos] handled by the same importer per year:

2 per year with the proper pedimento

Animales vivos 2

Alimentos enlatados 10

Juguetes 10

Juguetes electrónicos 2

Muebles de uso doméstico 10 Pzas. o 3 Jgos.

Ropa y accesorios 10

Calzado y partes de calzado 10 Pares o Pzas.

Equipo deportivo 1

Motocicleta 1

Bicicleta 1

Llantas nuevas para automóvil, camioneta, camión y bicicleta 5 Pzas.

Aparatos electrodomésticos 6 Pzas.

Partes de equipo de cómputo 5

Equipo de profesionistas 1 Jgo.

Herramienta 2 Jgos.

Bisutería 20

Joyería 3

Discos, cassettes o discos compactos grabados 20

Bebidas alcohólicas 24 Litros.

Trofeos de caza 3

Embarcaciones incluso con su remolque, helicópteros y aviones 1 Pza.

Live animals 2

Canned food 10

Toys 10

Electronic Toys 2

Household furniture 10 pcs. or 3 jgos.

Clothing and Accessories 10

Footwear and footwear parts 10 Pairs or Pcs.

Sports equipment 1

motorcycle 1

Bike 1

New tires for car, light truck, truck and bike 5 Pcs.

6 Pcs appliances.

Parts of computer equipment 5

Equipment 1 Jgo professionals.

Tools 2 jgos.

Imitation Jewelry 20

Jewelry 3

Discs, cassettes or CDs recorded 20

Alcoholic drinks 24 liters.

Hunting trophies 3

Parts for your trailer, boats, helicopters and planes 1 Pc

I´m guessing "Jgos" means "sets"

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on May 21, 2013, 7:49 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4