Shortcut

Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico Tues. May 7, from 3-4pm

Can't Post | Private Reply
Upcoming Meeting
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Manuel Rivera
“Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico”
3–4:30 pm, Lake Chapala Society Back Patio

We know bicycles are environmentally friendly—but they are not right for everyone and every place. Electric bicycles have many of the advantages as regular ones. Manuel Rivera will explain to us how they can both fit into a “power assisted” healthy lifestyle and provide economical and sustainable transportation.
Manuel Rivera is an Industrial and Systems Engineer with more than 20 years of experience with such employers as IBM and Hitachi. This, and his MBA in Finance, have equipped him well to start a business, Ecomobility Systems Mexico, that imports and distribute Electric Bicycles under the name "EcoMobile.”
Everyone is welcome!

markosjal

May 8, 2013, 10:47 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico Tues. May 7, from 3-4pm

How is electricity more sustainable?

Have you considered.....

Hydroelectric dams kill millions of fish annually that can not pass fish ladders

Nuclear energy is often built around large waterways for cooling and the water used for cooling is returned to the waterway thereby heating the overall temperature of the nearby water, thus affecting the natural ecosystem. Aside from that what do we do with the toxic waste that will remain n the earth for centuries as we increase our dependency on electricity?

In Mexico, Electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels which pollutes the air.

It is not to say it is not an alternative however it is far from clean under the current methods of generation. It surprises me the number of people who fall for this load of crap about electricity being "clean". Sure there is wind generation and solar/voltaic , but those cleaner options represent a small portion of electricity generated, and there is no mass effort to move to those systems.

(This post was edited by markosjal on May 8, 2013, 1:25 PM)

stevebrtx

May 8, 2013, 12:27 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3118 views)

Shortcut

Re: [markosjal] Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico Tues. May 7, from 3-4pm

Seems like I read that MX has 2 nuke plants.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Septiembre

May 10, 2013, 5:29 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico Tues. May 7, from 3-4pm

One word: Solar

playaboy

May 10, 2013, 6:46 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico Tues. May 7, from 3-4pm

I believe there is only on nuke plant. It is in Veracruz south of the Costa Esmerelda. I was told that most of the power produced by the plant goes to the Yucatan.

stevebrtx

May 10, 2013, 7:16 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Electric Bicycles for a Sustainable Mexico Tues. May 7, from 3-4pm

No, it's two, but they don't generate much and as competent as the CFE is, more than a bit scary. I worked in nuclear instrumentation years ago and I wouldn't live near either of the plants. They just slammed the power off/on about 10 minutes ago, but everything appears to have survived.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/...Mexico/#.UYz_7MoaTiw
http://www.chapalaweather.net

tonyburton

May 10, 2013, 9:42 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3010 views)

Shortcut

In the interests of accuracy, there is definitely only ONE nuclear power station in Mexico ~ Laguna Verde in Veracruz state ~ but it has TWO reactors. [ie you are ALL correct!]
Details (wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/...uclear_Power_Station

(This post was edited by tonyburton on May 10, 2013, 9:47 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4