Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jacksmith123

May 22, 2012, 12:03 PM

Post #26 of 69 (99276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hollysurly] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all my name is Jack i am from Canada and new here. My hobby is Traveling all around to world i like to gain information and share my traveling experience in this community.

thanks

dos gatos felices

May 24, 2012, 6:20 AM

Post #27 of 69 (99229 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaBoundEzz] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

I guess it's time I introduced myself. I've been hanging around for a while, reading other people's posts.

Genetically, I'm 100% Appalachian, which of course includes a bit of Cherokee. I've lived lots of places, and feel fortunate to have done so.

It's funny how life sometimes brings you back around to where you started. I still remember how I was first introduced to Latin America back in grade school. We sang 'Celito Lindo' (Aye, yi yi yi, sing Spanish gladness ~ as I remember). I put my heart in it! I wanted a llama and I was ready to move to Peru!

Later, when I was ready for a foreign language, Spanish wasn't offered, so I chose French, and also Latin American History. What a combo! But no matter, I don't remember much of either.

In college I met and married a man from Southeast Asia, lived there a while and taught English.

Divorced. Remarried a few years later and moved to a town on Flacon Lake in Texas. Around that time I saw a movie featuring music of Beny More. It was a life changing experience. I have been on a listening and learning quest since, currently exploring Mexican musical genres. Lila Downs is a definite favorite.

Exploring Mexican towns on the border, and talking with people, I decided that the state of Oaxaca was somewhere I wanted to go. Someday. As you may know, someday usually never comes.

In a twist, my daughter ( youngest of two adult children) planned to go to her dad's country for a TESOL course and teach there. When she learned the same school offered a course in Mexico, and it is so very much cheaper to live in Mexico, she decided on Mexico instead.

Looks like someday just may arrive! I'm reading as much as possible about the area where she is, and taking an online Spanish course. I hope to visit in the fall sometime. Can't wait!

Oh, I forgot (temporarily) one of my favorite subjects: FOOD! Asian & Latin are my two favorites and I am enjoying learning about the ingredients common to both Mexico and SE Asia. I love combining the two for a Latin Asian fusion. Yum! For example a friend and I were discussing using a bit of curry in mole, or perhaps using a bit of chocolate in a curry. Sometimes what I eat one day on rice may be wrapped in a tortilla the next, and vice versa.

I also enjoy reading, gardening, yoga, and jewelry making.

(This post was edited by dos gatos felices on May 24, 2012, 7:03 AM)

benney

May 24, 2012, 9:15 PM

Post #28 of 69 (99188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hollysurly] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

HI dear,,,,
Welcome to you on this forum... Hopefully you will get good results.....
Now you can use this forum to share your problems and experience...

elisseB

Jun 11, 2012, 6:38 PM

Post #29 of 69 (99017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Hi there! I'm a newbie here. :)

gringoinlagos

Sep 2, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #30 of 69 (98065 views)

Shortcut

Hi, my name is Charlie Benfane living in Nevada, USA. I was actively searching for a move to Mexico about 4 yrs back and now being bitten by the bug again. I have friends in Lagos de Moreno, although last time I was considering San Miguel Allende. Im am retired and living on a fixed income and think the change will do me good in more ways than one. Any suggestions or comments are welcome, thank you.

JRLankford

Sep 28, 2012, 10:27 AM

Post #31 of 69 (97792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dos gatos felices] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Welcome, I'm a virtual newbie myself, having not hung around here much since 2005. Where does the time go? Sounds like you're living a fine life. May I ask what online Spanish course you're taking?

Jamie L

http://www.facebook.com/authorjrlankford
http://www.jrlankford.com

(This post was edited by JRLankford on Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 AM)

JRLankford

Sep 28, 2012, 10:33 AM

Post #32 of 69 (97783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jacksmith123] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Hi, Jack, I'm a traveler, too. Welcome. My last overseas jaunt was to a Buddhist retreat near Bordeau, France. Learned I'm past the age for low cots. What about you?

Jamie L

http://www.facebook.com/authorjrlankford
http://www.jrlankford.com

Sunnyvmx

Sep 29, 2012, 3:32 AM

Post #33 of 69 (97746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRLankford] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

I have recently completed the CD spanish course, Virtual Links. I liked having it loaded onto my laptop for study anytime and any place without the necessary internet connection. The course enabled me to begin speaking right away and was a great help in getting settled here in Catemaco, Veracruz. I find that too much grammar, too soon, would bog me down, but Virtual Links gets you speaking in sentences first so that now I feel I'm ready to attain further study at a language school in Veracruz to improve my sentence structure and give my speaking more flexibility.

mazbook1

Sep 29, 2012, 3:23 PM

Post #34 of 69 (97699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

And for those without the patience for CDs, the little book Enjoy México in Spanish, takes the same approach. Speak now, grammar details later.

dos gatos felices

Oct 1, 2012, 4:13 AM

Post #35 of 69 (97665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRLankford] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

The course I took was Speed Spanish, which is available at www.ed2go.com. I learned about it through a regional community college. Course 1 was very helpful. In my opinion the second course got rather bogged down in trying to teach too much in too little time.

A good free go at your own pace study is to be found at www.studyspanish.com. I have gone back to it now and like that I can switch back and forth between grammar, pronunciation and verbs as I feel the need. There is also a for pay course. I

bronco

Jan 14, 2013, 9:20 PM

Post #36 of 69 (96843 views)

Shortcut

bronco likes religious art 15th-16th century. likes san miguel allende, dosnt consider ajijic area "mexico".

mykul

Feb 15, 2013, 9:08 AM

Post #37 of 69 (96388 views)

Shortcut

My name is Michael. I am Canadian and in my mid-thirties. I currently live in Banff, Alberta and work as a wine director for a local restaurant and in the retail and distribution side of our local wine shop.

My wife is from Aguascalientes and I met her while I was on vacation on the Riviera Maya in 2007 for a family reunion. We were staying at the same resort and despite not speaking each other's language, we hit it off and stayed in touch after the vacation was over and we had returned to our respective homes.
I took an extended vacation that Autumn and traveled to Aguascalientes. I spent two months there and we traveled the country together in a rental car. Driving the Pacific coast to Puerto Escondido and coming back up via Oaxaca and Mexico City.

At the end of the two months I stole her away to Canada. We returned to visit her family the next year and were engaged on a rooftop in Guanajuato. We were to be stuck in Canada for the next two years dealing with her permanent residency. In 2011 we were married among friends and family from both countries in Puerto Vallarta.

We are now processing my permanent residency for Mexico and intend to relocate to Guanajuato this Fall to open a small business.

mcm

Feb 15, 2013, 2:54 PM

Post #38 of 69 (96362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mykul] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

A great story -- what a way to learn Spanish! good luck on the business, too.

elementsrestaurantnyc

Feb 25, 2013, 5:17 AM

Post #39 of 69 (96247 views)

Shortcut

Hi everyone new member here, looking forward for a good company here in this forum.

larryburleson

Mar 4, 2013, 3:37 AM

Post #40 of 69 (96147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [KathyRRozier] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Hi. I am Larry from Canada. I love reading Novels and also love to travel worldwide.
Mexico Real Estate @ Pozos Real Estate

Mateo_Adame

Mar 10, 2013, 8:25 AM

Post #41 of 69 (96070 views)

Shortcut

Hello everybody,
My name is Mateo (Matt)
I have been living in Ajijic 5 years now.
If you would like to know more about me please visit my site.
Anybody needing technical assistance here please feel free to ask. Advise is always free :)
Best Regards,
Mateo

P.S.
Thanks Rolly for your fantastic Forum

MY SITE
Mateo_Adame

TatianaS

Mar 26, 2013, 6:41 PM

Post #42 of 69 (95722 views)

Shortcut

hello

My name is Tatiana. New here :-)
Planning on moving to Mexico in the next 6-9 months with my family of 6. We have done alot of traveling in the U.S. & we are ready for an extended stay for a period (or hopefully permanetly) in Mexico. The pace of life here N.O.B. is not for us. We are looking for a more relaxed pace where family & friends are important, and always having the best of everything and competition for it is not. & of course, beautiful weather and great food as well! As of right now, I have read alot about the Lake Chapala/Ajijic area, the Merida area, the Manzanillo & Matzatlan areas. However, we dont necessary need a touristy area. A place with good volunteer oppurtunities are important. we are social and tend to like to live somewhere where there are things to do and see. Adventurous. Also we would like to skip the colder weather. (No freezing temps) :-) Sounds like im asking for paradise lol...

We dont know alot of Spanish, but we are practicing daily.
Our kids are ages 3, 5, 8, 13. we currently homeschool.

My husband works in the nuclear field and travels the states.
We love to cook & to eat all kinds of yummy foods. I like to do all kinds of different craft related things.

Hope everyone has a great night!

CozICan

Apr 14, 2013, 5:15 PM

Post #43 of 69 (95382 views)

Shortcut

Hola,

My name is David and I have been living in Cozumel permanently for about 5 years now. I recently became aware of this Mexico Forum through a member that was trying to find me info regarding Importing my Foreign Vehicle.

I have been following a few forums related to Cozumel but this is the first one I have seen that covers the whole country.

I received my Residente Permanente card this past Friday and I must say I was very, very surprised at how quickly the process was.

Living on the Beautiful Isla de Cozumel it truly a dream come true for me. I come from Windsor, Ontario, Canada and do not miss the Canadian Winters one bit. lol My Spanish has been a real challenge but I am finally at a point where I can communicate reasonably well in Spanish but I still have a LONG WAY to go.

I have driven through Mexico from Canada twice, 2 times South to Cozumel but only returned to Canada once. I have also done a lot of driving in the states of Veracruz, Puebla, Chiapas, Oaxaca, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan and of coarse Quintana Roo as well as Belize and Guatemala. There is still so much more to see.

If I can be of any help for anyone that needs information regarding my area I would be more that pleased to help.

Have a great day,

CozICan

abcmno

May 1, 2013, 8:48 AM

Post #44 of 69 (94839 views)

Shortcut

I also like traveling and like to enjoy the nature of god

jbowler

May 1, 2013, 1:44 PM

Post #45 of 69 (94819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abcmno] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Hi,
my husband and I are transplanted Canadians from Winnipeg, now living in Mazatlan Mexico. We are both retired educators who enjoy travel, although we have not travelled much in Mexico. We love Mazatlan as it has every thing we love: warm people, the ocean and all the conveniences we require. We purchased a home here that we renovated and are very happy and content. We have two 80 pound yellow labs, Basil and Memphis,who accompanied us on the long drive from Winnipeg in our truck. We have been here a year this month, and are hoping that by the time we get our Residente Permanente, the process of nationalizing our vehicle will not require us to drive to the border and back ! I really enjoy this forum and find it to be very informative. It's also nice to hear someone else's story.Good to meet you!

chezhed

May 22, 2013, 1:57 PM

Post #46 of 69 (94302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jbowler] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

I have been here on and off for a few years in my research for a place to become an expat in the next 5-7 years when I retire. I have now moved closer to that goal having been transferred (willingly) to a maquilladora in Reynosa and live in McAllen/Mission, TX area. I traverse the Anzalduas bridge 10 times a week usually....occasionally I venture to Reynosa/Hidalgo. I've been here 3 months!

I am learning that the rules for working and living in Mexico are ever changing !!! I'm in the process of a Business Visa (FM3) that is proving quite fun. This is a great way to become ready to go...free Spanish lessons (I only had Latin and German) and everyday exposure to culture and language....all my reports are Mexican and one or two have limited English skills.

So I will be around on occasion, continuing my research into my current destination, Sayulita or other possibilities and observing all the issues and questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

daniel84

Jun 18, 2013, 8:43 AM

Post #47 of 69 (93641 views)

Shortcut

Greetings to everyone,

My name is Daniel and I recently discovered this forum related to Mexican people, and I felt the need to become a member of this community and to try to contribute as much as possible..

I'm from Canada, but my temporary destination is in one small European country - Serbia, where I'm attached to my work and trying to be dedicated as well..

Best Regards,
Daniel
Try American English pronunciation software!

La Isla

Jun 18, 2013, 8:56 AM

Post #48 of 69 (93633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [daniel84] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Daniel, if you're Canadian and are living in Serbia, what's your interest in Mexico? Are you planning to move here in the future? In any event, welcome to Mexconnect!

daniel84

Jun 25, 2013, 12:25 AM

Post #49 of 69 (93547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Maybe, who knows.. For now it is just a simple interest in Mexico and this community, everything in order to contribute here and to hangout.. Thanks for the welcome... :)
Try American English pronunciation software!

marcosslp

Jul 18, 2013, 4:00 PM

Post #50 of 69 (93255 views)

Shortcut

Hi Rolly and all.

I'm (legally) Dave Parks, born in the Los Angeles area. I'll be 65 this year and have lived in San Luis Potosi for the last 12 years or so.

I am now a permanent resident in Mexico.

If anyone has any questions about living in Mexico I might be able to help and would be happy to share what little I know.

I'm fully bi-lingual and have tons of experience with the local INM office.

Look forward to spending some time with y'all.

Dave
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4