Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

margojean

Apr 30, 2013, 4:25 PM

Post #1 of 19 (6670 views)

Shortcut

Selling US-plated car

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are driving to Laredo (or Monterrey) this Saturday May 4 to sell our South Dakota plated car.
A 2003 Nissan Murano SL in excellent condition. Leather, sun roof, navigation. 68,000 miles. They are selling in the USA for $8999 to $12999, but all the ones I saw have higher mileage. We are asking $10,000 US.
If you are interested, message me back. We need to do this now because of timing and travel plans and imminent arrival of permanent status.
So you would need to drive with us to Laredo (or Monterrrey), and then after the title and other paper work is done, we would turn around and drive back.
One overnight each way. Driving 12 hours straight is too much for us.
margojean

sioux4noff

May 5, 2013, 12:15 PM

Post #2 of 19 (6486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [margojean] Selling US-plated car

How can you do that in Monterrey?

NEOhio1

May 5, 2013, 11:16 PM

Post #3 of 19 (6444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Selling US-plated car

I would guess they are going via Monterrey.

I continue to be puzzled by car owners who have two people in their family going immediately to sell their car. Why isn't one person going permanante and the other going temporal at least for a year until the car issue settles down a little. We know 3 people who have driven to Laredo and in one day the consulate there has issued their new temporal permit and when driving back they get a new TIP for their car.

It makes so much sense to wait until the smoke clears.

stevebrtx

May 6, 2013, 5:44 AM

Post #4 of 19 (6427 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Selling US-plated car

I have to get a new Temporal in Sept and take care of some other things regarding my trailer license etc. that is good news that Laredo is issuing in one day, did they do any online application first, or just "walk in"?
http://www.chapalaweather.net

AlanMexicali

May 6, 2013, 5:58 AM

Post #5 of 19 (6424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Selling US-plated car

"I would guess they are going via Monterrey.

I continue to be puzzled by car owners who have two people in their family going immediately to sell their car. Why isn't one person going permanante and the other going temporal at least for a year until the car issue settles down a little. We know 3 people who have driven to Laredo and in one day the consulate there has issued their new temporal permit and when driving back they get a new TIP for their car.

It makes so much sense to wait until the smoke clears." [end quote]

The smoke will clear but the NAFTA Agreement will still be followed. Inmigrados can not have TIPs, never could. Inmigrados in semantics are now called Residentes Permanentes. Waiting simply makes your TIP invalid and you risk the chance of getting pulled over and might get in trouble. Why wait? For what reason?

It seems logical to me they will allow Residente Temporal Rentists to have TIPs and renew them when their Residente Temporal visa is renewed by sending a letter, required by law, to ADUANA advising them of your renewal and itīs expiration date with 15 days of the expiration date on your previous Residente Temporal card and not later than 45 days or your TIP will be cancelled and your deposit taken.

When going to Residente Permanente you will have no choice but to remove your foreign plated car from Mexico or have it nationalized if it qualifies. Alan

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on May 6, 2013, 6:17 AM)

RickS

May 6, 2013, 9:58 AM

Post #6 of 19 (6363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Selling US-plated car

I don't have a dog in this fight, or more appropriately a 'car in this race', but....

Alan, I think the point is this..... one can never tell exactly what Mexico MIGHT do with regard to this issue, and buying another year to let the dust settle is, in my opinion, a wise move. People in many cases are having to take a financial beating on their perfectly good vehicles by having to remove them from the country pronto.... and then having to buy another vehicle adding insult to injury.

To me, unless there are extenuating circumstances, it just makes good sense for one member of the family to go Permanente and the other to go Temporal, thus allowing the legal use of a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico by both parties.

mazbeach

May 6, 2013, 10:13 AM

Post #7 of 19 (6357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Selling US-plated car

Just make sure that the name on the Temporal is the same as the one on the TIP.

RickS

May 6, 2013, 10:16 AM

Post #8 of 19 (6355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Selling US-plated car

Yes, and of course the "Temporal" person's name must be on the vehicle title which sometimes is not the case unfortunately.

wjscham

May 6, 2013, 11:36 AM

Post #9 of 19 (6342 views)

Shortcut

Quote (It seems logical to me they will allow Residente Temporal Rentists to have TIPs and renew them when their Residente Temporal visa is renewed by sending a letter, required by law, to ADUANA advising them of your renewal and itīs expiration date with 15 days of the expiration date on your previous Residente Temporal card and not later than 45 days or your TIP will be cancelled and your deposit taken. ) end of quote
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I lost my deposit last year so this year when I renewed my RT I did not notify Aduana. I thought article 106 made notification redundant on a renewal with no change in status? Welcome any advice on this smokey detail.

(This post was edited by wjscham on May 6, 2013, 12:51 PM)

arbon

May 6, 2013, 3:04 PM

Post #10 of 19 (6307 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Mexicans can own NON-NAFTA cars in Mexico by paying an import duty.....right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

esperanza

May 6, 2013, 5:44 PM

Post #11 of 19 (6285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Selling US-plated car

Arbon, import duty on a new non-NAFTA vehicle is included in the dealer's price. Of course a Mexican can own these vehicles. And if the car is sold used, there's no import duty involved.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on May 6, 2013, 5:48 PM)

arbon

May 7, 2013, 12:16 AM

Post #12 of 19 (6244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Selling US-plated car

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Arbon, import duty on a new non-NAFTA vehicle is included in the dealer's price. Of course a Mexican can own these vehicles. And if the car is sold used, there's no import duty involved.

So can a NON-Mexican pay import duty on their NON-NAFTA car to import it to Mexico?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AlanMexicali

May 7, 2013, 6:18 AM

Post #13 of 19 (6221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Selling US-plated car

In Reply To

In Reply To

So can a NON-Mexican pay import duty on their NON-NAFTA car to import it to Mexico?

Only new car dealers can import new NAFTA vehicles and have a special deal in the NAFTA agreement and pay a specific duty according the the agreement at a few sea ports. This has nothing to do with individuals. They can also import some makes and models and country of origin of new non NAFTA vehicles.

The NAFTA agreement allows used vehicle importation and nationalization by individuals on used vehicles to be registered in 2 zones. The "Frontera" [Free Zone] and the "Interior Zone". Some J and W used vehicles can be imported into the "Frontera Zone" if between 1984 and 2007. J and W vehicles cannot be imported and nationalized into the "Interior Zone".

I have read some newer that 2007 vehicles can be imported into Mexico by paying a 50% duty and 16% IVA, but this is unconfirmed.

I have also read a 2013 NAFTA built vehicle can be imported by paying the duty, not the 10% though, that has 1000 kms or less on it at a sea port, again unconfirmed, but on the SAT website. I canīt remember if it was by an individual or a new car dealer. Possible this is one and the same deal with new cars at sea ports by dealers.

So do Mexican Nationals have a better change at nationalizing vehicles compared to legal residents? It appears not .... except I have read they can buy a US or possibly Canadian plated vehicle inside Mexico with a legal form as can possibly a legal resident, I donīt know, and have it nationalized at the border.

I have also read a Mexican National does not pay duty on a NAFTA built 10 year old vehicle or is it a 10 year old and older vehicle but have not found anything on the SAT website to confirm this.

The nationalization of vehicles rules in the "Frontera Zone" to be registered there are vastly different than the rules for Nationalizing a vehicle to be registered in the "Interior Zone." This confuses the issue when posters regurgitate what they have heard or read someplace.

You do nationalize vehicles on the border and Baja, Baja Sur and Sonora, but not all of Sonora, there is a boundary somewhere and I do not remember where, are in the "Frontera Zone" states but the rules are different and possibly the procedure and pedimento when nationalizing for the "Interior Zone".

It appears they are the only states, Texas, Rio Grande states in Mexico are not in the Frontera Zone [Free Zone] when talking about the NAFTA agreement, as far as I can make out the rules on the SAT website.

Only since Jan. 1st 2013 can 1984 to 2007 vehicles can be nationalize on the border, before that only vehicles 8 or 9 [2004 or 2003] years old or older but under 30 years old could be nationalized.

The SAT website does not update regularly and some rules are there and you have to dig deep to find any changes from updates. It is very hard work and confusing and not user friendly, but does have a system I recognized after awhile.

At the sea port of Progreso they will import a NAFTA vehicle 8 or 9 years old, for example, following rules that do not now apply to the border etc.

Also according to the newspaper Economica in 2017 there will be no restrictions as to the year the NAFTA built vehicle was built sold in the US and Canada to be nationalized in Mexico. All NAFTA vehicles can be nationalized by paying a duty and taxes.

Another problem is also the "taxes", if there are any or what they are is not confirmed by any poster, so far. This might be a misconception and it might be the fee ADUANA charges, Who knows, most posters canīt read Spanish and donīt ask and just state the word taxes.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on May 7, 2013, 8:08 AM)

arbon

May 7, 2013, 9:55 AM

Post #14 of 19 (6163 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thank you Alan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fordmexico

May 10, 2013, 9:35 AM

Post #15 of 19 (6012 views)

Shortcut

Used vehicles that can be imported into Mexico under NAFTA:

From Annex 300-A of the North American Free Trade Agreement:

"24. Mexico may adopt or maintain prohibitions or restrictions on imports of used vehicles from the territory of another Party, except as follows:

(a) beginning January 1, 2009, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least 10 years old;
(b) beginning January 1, 2011, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least eight years old;

(c) beginning January 1, 2013, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least six years old;

(d) beginning January 1, 2015, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least four years old;

(e) beginning January 1, 2017, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least two years old; and

(f) beginning January 1, 2019, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles."

The Annex also includes some very technical aspects of the Agreement regarding New Vehicles as well as Used Vehicles.

Here is a link to the actual Annex 300-A

http://www.sice.oas.org/trade/nafta/anx300a1.asp

fordmexico

May 10, 2013, 9:51 AM

Post #16 of 19 (6006 views)

Shortcut

An individual MAY import 1 new vehicle each year into Mexico utilizing provisions under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

From the Aduana website:

!. It was acquired firsthand. It is considered acquired firsthand, provided they have the invoice issued by the manufacturer or distributor authorized by the manufacturer;

2. That the vehicle model year corresponds to the year in which importation is made or a later year, and that this information matches the VIN of the vehicle, and
3. That at the time of submission of the vehicle before the automated selection mechanism, according to the odometer reading, the vehicle has not traveled more than 1,000 kilometers or the equivalent in miles, in the case of vehicles with a gross weight less than 5,000 pounds and not more than 5,000 kilometers or the equivalent in miles, in the case of vehicles with a gross weight greater than 5,000 kg but not exceeding 8,864 kg. Upon entering the country, such vehicles shall pay taxes and applicable federal and state rights to units sold in Mexico (IGI, ISAN, VAT, ITUV and DTA) under the terms of the applicable legal provisions. Buyer must ensure that all vehicles meet Mexican standards regarding identification and registration, emissions and noise, safety, among others."

"
Registration in the Federal Taxpayers and the list of importers If you are an individual, you can make the final import single new vehicle in each twelve-month period, without requiring registration in the Register of Importers, provided that RFC in the motion field is left blank if not has the homoclave, and invariably in the field of CURP, you must record the code for the importer CURP, and append the import request copy of official identification and the document that is credited home. However, if you decide to import more vehicles within a year, will have to join the RFC and the list of importers, because otherwise you can not import."

It must be a new vehicle that has not been titled, i.e. you must have the original Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO). You must pay all taxes that would be paid if you had purchased the vehicle in Mexico. You must utilize the services of a customs broker. You are limited to 1000 KM on the odometer.

In most instances, after you pay all the taxes and fees of the customs broker it is no longer financially feasible. The exception might be for an individual that can buy a new vehicle under an employe/retiree purchase plan and can utilize a concurrent large rebate for the purchase of that vehicle. As an individual, most likely you would also need to pay sales tax in the state you purchased the vehicle.

Website for Aduana

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10118.html

AlanMexicali

May 10, 2013, 10:59 AM

Post #17 of 19 (5991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Selling US-plated car

The article I was referring to:

http://eleconomista.com.mx/...n-automoviles-usados

My quote in above post:

"Also according to the newspaper Economica in 2017 there will be no restrictions as to the year the NAFTA built vehicle was built sold in the US and Canada to be nationalized in Mexico. All NAFTA vehicles can be nationalized by paying a duty and taxes."

The mistakes are twofold here. A faulty memory.

First: The newspaper I read the article in was La Economista.

Second: 2019 not 2017

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 10, 2013, 11:05 AM)

playaboy

May 14, 2013, 5:41 AM

Post #18 of 19 (5855 views)

Shortcut

Re: [margojean] Selling US-plated car

In Reply To
We are driving to Laredo (or Monterrey) this Saturday May 4 to sell our South Dakota plated car.
A 2003 Nissan Murano SL in excellent condition. Leather, sun roof, navigation. 68,000 miles. They are selling in the USA for $8999 to $12999, but all the ones I saw have higher mileage. We are asking $10,000 US.
If you are interested, message me back. We need to do this now because of timing and travel plans and imminent arrival of permanent status.
So you would need to drive with us to Laredo (or Monterrrey), and then after the title and other paper work is done, we would turn around and drive back.
One overnight each way. Driving 12 hours straight is too much for us.

Did you sell the Nissan in Laredo? Did you get a good price?

margojean

May 14, 2013, 5:49 AM

Post #19 of 19 (5849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Selling US-plated car

Yes and yes. We went first to Family Nissan in Laredo, where they refused to even talk to us. Then we went to Carmax in NE San Antonio, and they were courteous, helpful, quick and fair.
margojean

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4