Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Apr 21, 2013, 8:22 AM

Post #26 of 37 (1743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] IMSS costs for Permanent Residents

Can't Post | Private Reply
Applicants or their employers pay for IMSS. Even though some people now criticize quoting laws and rules, it still seems to be our best option for getting reliable information. Here's the applicable webpage:
http://www.imss.gob.mx/servicios/mexicanos/Pages/seguro.aspx - Seguro de Salud para la Familia

"Cuota Anual del SSF
La cuota es anual anticipada y se determina de acuerdo con el rango de edad al que pertenezca cada miembro del grupo familiar asegurado, la cual se actualiza en febrero de cada año de acuerdo al incremento en el Índice Nacional de Precios al Consumidor.

Rango de Edad . . . .
Cuota Anual
0 a 19 años . . . . $1,420.15
20 a 39 años . . . . $1,659.80
40 a 59 años$ . . . . 2,480.90
60 más años . . . . $3,733.30

*Precios vigentes del 1 de febrero de 2013 al 31 de enero de 2014 "

steve

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 21, 2013, 8:26 AM)

nomore

Apr 21, 2013, 8:49 AM

Post #27 of 37 (1728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] Permanent Resident - IMSS?

Can't Post |
You can sign up for free Seguro Popular n Mexico. Actually they have a schedule of payments but it is almost hard to have to pay.

You can sign up for IMSS for a few hundred per person per year. I varies based on age. I think we paid something like $550 USD for the two of us. Also - they kind of ease you into the program. First year doesn't cover much. Second year a little more and then the third year you are in.

tashby

Apr 21, 2013, 9:08 AM

Post #28 of 37 (1721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Permanent Resident

One additional item that many gringos think they will get from Permanent Residency: a homeowners exemption from the 28% capital gains taxes on real estate. There is no right to the homeowners exemption for Permanent Residents. Most Notarios we have heard from, from across Mexico, have said that they will only approve the exemption for foreigners who have Naturalized Citizenship or for applicants who also have citizenship applications pending with SRE.

Interesting. Can you please define "most Notarios we have heard from, from across Mexico...."? As in, how many Notarios have you heard that from?

A lot of people in the Lake Chapala area are scrambling to get their Permanente visa specifically because they believe they will receive the exemption upon sale of house.

CozICan

Apr 21, 2013, 9:15 AM

Post #29 of 37 (1718 views)

Shortcut

I received my Residente Permanente card only a week ago but I signed up for the free "Seguro Popular' medical coverage about 1 year ago.Have I told you how much I love living in Mexico :o)

YucaLandia

Apr 21, 2013, 9:39 AM

Post #30 of 37 (1709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Permanent Resident

In Reply To

One additional item that many gringos think they will get from Permanent Residency: a homeowners exemption from the 28% capital gains taxes on real estate. There is no right to the homeowners exemption for Permanent Residents. Most Notarios we have heard from, from across Mexico, have said that they will only approve the exemption for foreigners who have Naturalized Citizenship or for applicants who also have citizenship applications pending with SRE.

Interesting. Can you please define "most Notarios we have heard from, from across Mexico...."? As in, how many Notarios have you heard that from?

A lot of people in the Lake Chapala area are scrambling to get their Permanente visa specifically because they believe they will receive the exemption upon sale of house.

We have gotten first hand reports from gringos in: Mexico, Baja y Baja Sur, Nuevo Leon (Monterrey), Guerrero, Q. Roo, Oaxaca, Yucatan, Jalisco, Sonora, et al that their Notarios have refused to approve foreigners for the homeowners exemption to gains taxes on property sales, since the Feb. 2010 big changes in the ISR.

The harshest report we got was one Notario insisting on charging 28% on the total sales price (no deduction for even the original sales price).

Why? Since the Notarios are personally liable to pay the entire amounts owed (including penalties and interest), Notarios are not eager to actually take on the personal risk of approving the homeowners exemption for foreigners since Feb. 2010, regardless of whether they are Residente Permanentes or Inmigrados.

We have received, read, or heard ~ zero ~ reports of Notarios actually approving the exemption for anyone except citizens, naturalized citizens, or foreigners with active citizenship applications in process with SRE.

We would love to hear just one first-hand success story of a foreigner with a Residente Permanente (or its legal equivalent: Inmigrado) receiving the full exemption by their Notario for properties sold since Feb. 2010, without them being citizens or being actively considered for citizenship.

This is why we advise foreigners who want the homeowners exemption (waiving all taxes from ISRs 28% gains tax), to get their Notario to put this guarantee in writing. When pinned-down to actually approve the exemption in writing for individual foreigners, since 2010, they have all sidled-away according to reports we have read: http://yucalandia.com/living-in-yucatan-mexico/capital-gains-taxes-on-mexican-properties/ ~ Capital Gains Taxes on Mexican Properties ~

Each seller must get their personal Notario's individual approval. There is no clear "right" or even strong hint in the ISR law that assures foreigners of qualifying for the exemption. In reality, the burdens of proof are so high and so numerous, it is very difficult to qualify (e.g. need 5 years of every month's comprabantes in your name, need proof that the property has been your principal center of fiscal activities continuously for the entire 5 prior years - not just that you lived their most of the time, etc).

We would love to offer a list of Notarios who have been accepting the $$ liabilities.
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 21, 2013, 9:50 AM)

jackak10

Apr 21, 2013, 10:59 AM

Post #31 of 37 (1677 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Is it true???

Is a Residente Permanente card holder eligible to sign up for the "free" (IMSS) medical in Mexico?

You can get IMSS with a FM3 or whatever the equivalant is now, permanent has never been necessary. However, it's not now and has never been free. About 3,000 pesos a year, more or less, depending on your age. Pre-existing conditions may disqualify you.

Sculptari

Apr 21, 2013, 12:08 PM

Post #32 of 37 (1658 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Permanent Resident - IMSS?

Can't Post |
 A hard line, rule thumping bureaucrat was saying no to FM2/FM3/Immigrants last year. She claims the enabling legislation of I.M.S.S. says that "voluntary" membership get a much lower coverage than employer contribution members. The last I heard, she was moved somewhere else - perhaps I.M.S.S. office in Juarez?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56510
no longer active on Mexconnect

nomore

Apr 21, 2013, 12:23 PM

Post #33 of 37 (1655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Permanent Resident - IMSS?

Can't Post |
That may very well be why our 'family plan' doesn't cover much the first year. Not even emergencies I believe.

But we sure have gotten away from RP in 9 days :-)

(This post was edited by chuck4430 on Apr 21, 2013, 12:24 PM)

jackak10

Apr 21, 2013, 12:33 PM

Post #34 of 37 (1650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chuck4430] Permanent Resident - IMSS?

Can't Post |

In Reply To
That may very well be why our 'family plan' doesn't cover much the first year. Not even emergencies I believe.

Maybe it's changed, but when I signed up I got basically no coverage the first year, some the next and the third year gave me full coverage including drugs. If they have the drugs you need in their pharmacy.

Rolly

Apr 21, 2013, 1:41 PM

Post #35 of 37 (1623 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Permanent Resident - IMSS?

Benefits are phased in over a three year period.
In the first year only minor things such as colds, Moctezuma's revenge, etc. are covered. These are basically out-patient services for which you will probably want to see a private doctor rather than wasting half a day or more waiting in the IMSS out-patient clinic. The first year will cover automobile and other accidents and emergencies such as heart attacks.
The second year adds everything except broken bones and orthopedics.
The third year offers full coverage including medications so long as you get them from IMSS, You will not be reimbursed for drugs bought from other pharmacies. This drug benefit is often pretty hollow as IMSS is chronically short of medications.
The schedule of benefits and annual cost are subject to change, so get the latest word from your local office.

Rolly Pirate

tashby

Apr 21, 2013, 2:21 PM

Post #36 of 37 (1613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Permanent Resident

Thank you for your answer as to whether or not people with Permanente status gain the exemption from the Capital Gains tax upon sale of their house. I'm going to check locally to see if I can find examples of people who've benefited from the exemption, though it may have happened while they were "Inmigrado" since Residente Permanente is such a new classification. There are certainly a lot of people being told locally they need to gain that status for tax purposes. Hard to imagine that advice is completely unfounded.

I think we may also need to just plain get rid of the phrase "Capital Gains Tax" since this tax seems to have nothing to do with how most of us, at least from NOB, view "Capital Gains".

YucaLandia

Apr 21, 2013, 4:17 PM

Post #37 of 37 (1560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Notarios granting Permanent Residents the Homeowners Gains Tax Exemption

My apologies to everyone for making long replies on the issue of taxes on capital gains on Mexican real estate sales, (especially for Residente Permanentes) - This unintentionally changed the topic from the OP's: "Permanente Issued in 9 Days" original topic.

To save the moderators some effort in pulling apart the 2 separate, unrelated, topics, I have moved Tashby's very good questions and my overly long answers to a new thread: Are Residente Permanente's Guaranteed No Capital Gains Taxes on Property Sales?

If you want to read some answers about how to reduce your gains and reduce your taxes on Mexican property sales, then head on over to the new thread.

A final note: I would love to write shorter answers, but tax laws, the homeowner's exemption, and the deductions .. and how Notarios actually handle these things ... are detailed and complex issues that cannot be covered with a short 1 paragraph sound bite or 2.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 21, 2013, 4:28 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4