Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CozumelComplete

Apr 12, 2013, 11:29 AM

Post #1 of 37 (8997 views)

Shortcut

Permenente issued in 9 days

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend of mine just got his green card in record time. 9 days and it was issued by the local office not Mexico City
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

AlanMexicali

Apr 12, 2013, 11:37 AM

Post #2 of 37 (8978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Permenente issued in 9 days

In Reply To
A friend of mine just got his green card in record time. 9 days and it was issued by the local office not Mexico City

It is common knowledge that a privately owned company in Mexico City has a contract to actualy manufacture the new INM cards. Alan

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Apr 12, 2013, 11:38 AM)

CozumelComplete

Apr 12, 2013, 11:40 AM

Post #3 of 37 (8974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Permenente issued in 9 days

Alan so what does that mean? I am telling you I saw his card and it says issued in Cozumel and I also know for a fact that it has only been 9 days since application???
Patricia A Holt

jackak10

Apr 12, 2013, 11:42 AM

Post #4 of 37 (8970 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To

That's fast. In Manzanillo, it was turn in your paperwork and pay, wait two weeks, go back for fingerprints, wait two weeks and go get the card. I thought that was fast.

CozumelComplete

Apr 12, 2013, 11:43 AM

Post #5 of 37 (8965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Permenente issued in 9 days

It was quite a shock to all of us. He expected it to be another 2 weeks. Here is hoping that mine is that easy in September!!
Patricia A Holt

AlanMexicali

Apr 12, 2013, 11:46 AM

Post #6 of 37 (8962 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Alan so what does that mean? I am telling you I saw his card and it says issued in Cozumel and I also know for a fact that it has only been 9 days since application???

If your read it carefully is says Date of Issue.

"Lugar y Fecha de Expedicion/Date of Issue:" Alan

CozumelComplete

Apr 12, 2013, 11:47 AM

Post #7 of 37 (8962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Permenente issued in 9 days

In Reply To

In Reply To

It is common knowledge that a privately owned company in Mexico City has a contract to actualy manufacture the new INM cards. Alan Can you please explain "common knowledge" as I have searched for this information and can not find anything!

Patricia A Holt

nomore

Apr 12, 2013, 12:55 PM

Post #8 of 37 (8929 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I think there might have been a little luck or good timing involved there.

My wife and I both went through the PR dance in February. When you reach the stage of checking your status online her page showed 2 payment entries and mine 0. That cause us to get out of sync. When she was called in to get her prints taken it took about a week for her PR cred to come from DF. Then they called to ask me to come in for my prints. They never called me to say come get your card. After 3 weeks we went to the INM office - one girl said to the other girl "I know it is here someplace". Turns out my card was in a folder that had fallen out of the drawer but inside the back of the file cabinet.

I don't think they do the cards every day. If your timing is right you might get in a 'fast' batch. Just my impression.

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2013, 3:02 PM

Post #9 of 37 (8882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chuck4430] Permenente issued in 9 days

In Reply To
I think there might have been a little luck or good timing involved there.

My wife and I both went through the PR dance in February. ... Turns out my card was in a folder that had fallen out of the drawer but inside the back of the file cabinet. ...

My vote goes to Chuck, for the BEST LAUGH OF THE WEEK !

His tale tops the post lightning-laden storm, CFE's telling us last night that:
" CFE is a NATIONAL company, dealing with big NATIONAL problems.
... It is not our responsibility if you have no power in your home,
... or if a few blocks of street lights are out.
"

Chuck,
Hope you don't mind a little schadenfreude??

Have a great weekend,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 12, 2013, 4:43 PM)

CozumelComplete

Apr 12, 2013, 3:39 PM

Post #10 of 37 (8867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Permenente issued in 9 days

LMAO...I just hope I have "good timing"...yeah right..figure the odds!
Patricia A Holt

barmarr

Apr 17, 2013, 8:20 AM

Post #11 of 37 (8675 views)

Shortcut

Residente Permanente in 6 weeks @ Nuevo Vallarta

Wow....I just picked up my new Residente Permanente ID card this morning. The entire process at Nuevo Vallarta took exactly one day shy of 6 weeks.

Now let's hope my husband's card shows up just as quickly, he started the process 3 days after I did, but his fingerprinting wasn't done until 4 weeks after he applied. My fingerprinting was done 3 weeks after I applied.

I think it is the luck of the draw whether or not your file gets buried at the bottom of the box.
Barmarr

ronincolima

Apr 18, 2013, 7:53 PM

Post #12 of 37 (8528 views)

Shortcut

What paperwork are they requiring in Manzanillo? Financials required or not?

Thanks

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
You might find
You'll get what you need. (Jagger, Richards)

jackak10

Apr 19, 2013, 5:55 AM

Post #13 of 37 (8490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ronincolima] Permenente issued in 9 days

Can't Post |

In Reply To
What paperwork are they requiring in Manzanillo? Financials required or not?

Thanks

I had a number 4 on my FM3 so had no choice. Still they required 12 months of bank statements and a copy of my bank trust. I've heard of others that didn't need any financials at all. So, nothing has changed.

ronincolima

Apr 19, 2013, 1:02 PM

Post #14 of 37 (8417 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Jackak10. Surprised they wanted a copy of your bank trust. I did not think home ownership was still considered.

I have a 2 on my FM2 and need to renew in August. 12 years previously on FM3.

Would like to go permanent at that time but still confused about what they might want.

But if you try sometimes
You might find
You'll get what you need. (Jagger, Richards)

(This post was edited by ronincolima on Apr 19, 2013, 1:06 PM)

YucaLandia

Apr 20, 2013, 6:39 AM

Post #15 of 37 (8341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ronincolima] Permenente issued in 9 days

In Reply To
Thanks Jackak10. Surprised they wanted a copy of your bank trust. I did not think home ownership was still considered.

I have a 2 on my FM2 and need to renew in August. 12 years previously on FM3.

Would like to go permanent at that time but still confused about what they might want.

Some INM offices and some Consulates do factor-in Mexican real estate ownership - subject to their discretion.

Your INM office also has the discretionary option to allow you to aggregate previous years from 2 different prior permits - or not. They may say no, you need to continue on your FM2 for 2 more years, applying as a renewal/refrendo as Residente Temporal) of your current permit. ...or... They may approve you for Residente Permanente, with or without financials - depending on how your INM office does these things. What have other expats with the same issues said about how your INM office is handling things?

You could print out 2 different solicitud letters: One that applies for a cambio de estancia from temporary to permanent residency, plus a separate solicitud that applies to refrender (extend) your current Inmigrante status as a Residente Temporal.

You can take bank statements, but they may not be needed on that first visit, or not at all...

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 20, 2013, 7:47 AM)

Judy in Ags

Apr 20, 2013, 4:14 PM

Post #16 of 37 (8231 views)

Shortcut

I don't want to start a big thing over a little nothing, but isn't "green card" a strange term for us expats to use for the permanent resident visa? (I know they're green, but there certainly not what we have thought of as "green cards" all are lives). Is this a legitimate point I'm making or not?

bournemouth

Apr 20, 2013, 4:28 PM

Post #17 of 37 (8228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Permenente issued in 9 days

But what have we thought of as a "green card". Isn't permanent resident status in Mexico, which now gives the right to work, more than somewhat similar to a US "green card"?

jackak10

Apr 20, 2013, 4:31 PM

Post #18 of 37 (8223 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Permenente issued in 9 days

Can't Post |

In Reply To
I don't want to start a big thing over a little nothing, but isn't "green card" a strange term for us expats to use for the permanent resident visa? (I know they're green, but there certainly not what we have thought of as "green cards" all are lives). Is this a legitimate point I'm making or not?

It's a card, and it's green. Maybe the Mexican gov't was thinking of the irony when they designed it.

Ric Hoffman

Apr 20, 2013, 7:30 PM

Post #19 of 37 (8185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] What's in a name?

I don't want to start a big thing over a little nothing, but isn't "green card" a strange term for us expats to use for the permanent resident visa?...

Sr. Google says "tarjeta de residente permanente" = greencard (optional translation says - permanent residence card)

(This post was edited by Ric Hoffman on Apr 20, 2013, 7:31 PM)

Judy in Ags

Apr 20, 2013, 9:34 PM

Post #20 of 37 (8150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Permenente issued in 9 days

Well, that just shows where my focus was. With all the reading and research I did on the permanent resident visa, I never even noticed the statements that said permanent residents could work here. Thanks for bringing that out.

nomore

Apr 21, 2013, 3:35 AM

Post #21 of 37 (8129 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident

Can't Post |
The information which came with our RP credentials enunciated a rather lengthy list of 'rights'. Since I am a born US citizen I never received a green card there, but I doubt such a list of rights goes along with the US card. For one (and I don't have the verbiage in front of me) was the right to healthcare, which I understood to be Seguro Popular.

Edit: I located the letter which came with the card. Interestingly - it addresses all three classes (vistante, residente temporal, residente permanente) in the same manner and the benefits include free transit, educational benefits, medical and enforcement of justice (with help from google translate).

So much of the chatter on sites such as Mexconnect is focused on the cost or requirements for the new Visa rather than the benefits and apparent simplicity.

I was under the impression that the only difference between a Mexican citizen and a Permanent Resident was the right to vote. I must have seen that written somewhere.

Am I wrong ?

(This post was edited by chuck4430 on Apr 21, 2013, 4:44 AM)

esperanza

Apr 21, 2013, 5:51 AM

Post #22 of 37 (8115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chuck4430] Permanent Resident

Chuck4430, there are a few other differences between the INM status of Residente Permananete and actual Mexican citizenship. The residente permanente is required to notify INM of changes in:
  • workplace (although he or she does not need permission to work)
  • address
  • nationality
  • civil status (from single to married, married to divorced, etc)
  • name

The naturalized Mexican citizen is not required to notify the government of any changes.
See here: http://www.inm.gob.mx/...Notificar_Cambios_LM

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

nomore

Apr 21, 2013, 6:23 AM

Post #23 of 37 (8106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Permanent Resident

Can't Post |
Thanks for the clarification.

If THAT is the only difference that isn't much. Even US citizens are supposed to let the IRS know most of that stuff. (Now whether they do or not is another thing). And - it kind of makes sense that a Mexican citizen wouldn't need to inform INM of anything.

One thing I have not seen any mention of - and that is probably because on web sites such as this the most vocal individuals are not yet permanents themselves is...

What about all the old property ownership concerns. For example - I wonder if a permanent and a citizen are equals when purchasing beach front property.

Edit: Ya know - the RP card (and status) is such a new thing I'm not sure many Mexicans understand it. In the handful of times we have needed to present the card (IMSS, the bank, to get the plates for the car, etc) they look at it like - what's this - and then go off and ask someone else.

(This post was edited by chuck4430 on Apr 21, 2013, 6:57 AM)

YucaLandia

Apr 21, 2013, 6:24 AM

Post #24 of 37 (8105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Permanent Resident

Good list. One additional item that many gringos think they will get from Permanent Residency: a homeowners exemption from the 28% capital gains taxes on real estate. There is no right to the homeowners exemption for Permanent Residents. Most Notarios we have heard from, from across Mexico, have said that they will only approve the exemption for foreigners who have Naturalized Citizenship or for applicants who also have citizenship applications pending with SRE. Foreigners hoping to get the homeowners exemption should get their Notario to certify beforehand, that he/she will approve the exemption, since many do not.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 21, 2013, 6:55 AM)

barmarr

Apr 21, 2013, 8:15 AM

Post #25 of 37 (8057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chuck4430] Permanent Resident - IMSS?

Is it true???

Is a Residente Permanente card holder eligible to sign up for the "free" (IMSS) medical in Mexico?

(This post was edited by barmarr on Apr 21, 2013, 8:18 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4