Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

mexbound

Apr 11, 2013, 12:32 PM

Post #1 of 14 (12060 views)

Shortcut

New Antenna Towers - Ajijic

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have noticed some new antenna towers along the main road through Ajijic. One is on the main road (lake side of road) at the computer repair store in Ajijic. The other one I have noticed is in Villa Nova at the Simapa Pozo #4. They are built exactly the same and have the same height. They both have a red flag near the top. I'm not sure if these are going to be used for Public Service (Police) or Business. There might be more than just these two structures, but I haven't located them yet. Has anyone also seen these? Anyone know what they are going to be used for?

johanson / Moderator

Apr 11, 2013, 5:51 PM

Post #2 of 14 (12037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexbound] New Antenna Towers - Ajijic

Gee you have me curious. I haven't seen them. And I drive through Ajijic every day. Which computer repair store? Bennos?

Yes there is a newer cell phone tower above El Toritos, and Lagunanet (the local WiFi ISP) has their tower just one block West. But, I haven't seen any other towers. And I drive down that street several times per day.

(This post was edited by johanson on Apr 11, 2013, 5:52 PM)

mexbound

Apr 12, 2013, 6:52 AM

Post #3 of 14 (12010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] New Antenna Towers - Ajijic

Yes, I believe the name of the computer repair place is Benno's. They do not look like cell towers to me. Drive by and take a look.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 12, 2013, 9:05 AM

Post #4 of 14 (11997 views)

Shortcut

I'll look this afternoon

johanson / Moderator

Apr 12, 2013, 11:43 AM

Post #5 of 14 (11987 views)

Shortcut

Those antennas are truly light weight and not that tall. And the one I saw just to the West of Benno's almost looked like someone setting a ham radio base station so as to use hand held radios as apposed to paying cell phone time.

What ever they are used for, I believe they are much too light weight to be cell phone towers. And now that cell phone rates are coming down in price I wouldn't think they would be used for hand held radios to keep from paying for cell phone calls.

I shall keep on checking.

mexbound

Apr 12, 2013, 12:43 PM

Post #6 of 14 (11983 views)

Shortcut

If it was just the one antenna next to Benno's, I wouldn't be too interested. What is interesting is the "exact" same antenna, including the small red flag at the top, has just been installed in Villa Nova. I haven't driven east on the carratera lately so I don't know if there are more of these heading towards Chapala.

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2013, 2:29 PM

Post #7 of 14 (11975 views)

Shortcut

Is it possibly FSO: the "new" laser-based high-bandwidth technology for transmitting data/internet and communications.

It's line of sight technology using small lasers and small receivers , which means installing light-weight towers that rise above trees and buildings. It has fabulous range and modest power (for a private system) - because the focused laser does not lose power at the 1/r^2 rates of other antennas.

They transmit huge amounts of data cheaply, up to 10 - 12 km - to share internet with mom, or to offer internet to remote locations cheaply. ???
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

johanson / Moderator

Apr 12, 2013, 4:13 PM

Post #8 of 14 (11962 views)

Shortcut

Being an ex Ham radio operator, you have got me very interested too,. I guess I will have to ask the neighbors. Thank God I speak a little Spanish

mexbound

Apr 12, 2013, 7:31 PM

Post #9 of 14 (11944 views)

Shortcut

Actually I am A HAM radio operator. I am Extra class. I am always looking around for antennas.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 26, 2013, 12:13 PM

Post #10 of 14 (11815 views)

Shortcut

This morning as I was driving to breakfast, I saw a cleaning lady sweeping up the street in front of the property with one of the antennas on it. She was wearing a SIMAPA shirt (That's the name of our water utility). She told me that these antennas were near the water utility's very large Aljibes (Underground water storage tanks) to notify the central offices how full these storage tanks are, among other things.

EDIT: I forgot to add, this antenna was not the one at Villa Nova mentioned below but along the main road, two blocks east of Juarez and therefore one block East of Colon, near Benno's computer repair store.

(This post was edited by johanson on Apr 27, 2013, 9:42 AM)

mexbound

Apr 26, 2013, 3:51 PM

Post #11 of 14 (11796 views)

Shortcut

Well it certainly makes sense that it is Simapa because the tower in Villa Nova is at Simapa Pozo#4. Thanks for checking.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 26, 2013, 10:07 PM

Post #12 of 14 (11777 views)

Shortcut

When I see an antenna. I guess I always want to know what it's for. Sorry it took so long. I was/am busy now that I am a Permanente deciding what type of Mexican plated car, to get. It's looking more and more like my choice will be a Honda CRV. They are fun to drive and ConsumerReports rates it high on their list of small SUVs

BruceHammerson

Oct 21, 2013, 12:42 AM

Post #13 of 14 (9961 views)

Shortcut

That made me curious and I asked this question to one of my friends who lives near Ajijic. He told me that those two poles are for establishing telephone/mobile network. But who knows, the red flag is a signal that they are meant for something else, I guess.
WorldQuip LLC - Hammer Bits

johanson / Moderator

Oct 21, 2013, 6:05 AM

Post #14 of 14 (9951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BruceHammerson] New Antenna Towers - Ajijic

As mentioned above they are Simapa towers (water company) at least one of which is near a very large aljibe.

The towers your friend is talking about are much larger, one of several of which are Telcel towers and one over El Toritos Iusacell and the one across from Telmex is for Lagunanet, a local ISP service.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 21, 2013, 1:04 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4