Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

dennis

Nov 27, 2002, 6:22 PM

Post #1 of 17 (11982 views)

Shortcut

Chichén Itzá or Palenque??????

Can't Post |
If you had one 12 hour day to spend at either Chichén Itzá or Palenque, which would you chose, and why?
Dennis

arbon

Nov 27, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #2 of 17 (11877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dennis] Chichén Itzá or Palenque??????

Can't Post |
If you had one 12 hour day to spend at either Chichén Itzá or Palenque, which would you chose, and why?

Palenque, is in the "Classic Setting" on a hill in the jungle.

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 27, 2002, 8:57 PM

Post #3 of 17 (11863 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Chichén Itzá, because the ocean view there is INCREDIBLE! We viewed the ruins and then went body surfing! It was UNBELIEVABLE! On the other hand Palenque has more historical virtues from what I've heard. I haven't been there though! To me, the water was the cap and wonderful end to the tour.

David Eidell

Nov 27, 2002, 9:47 PM

Post #4 of 17 (11857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MarisolEnPlayas] Chichén Itzá or Palenque??????

Can't Post | Private Reply
Chichen Itza is quite a ways from the sea, perhaps you meant Tulum?

Through the school of hard knocks (literally) I learned that my best time occurred 'til 10:00 and then after 4:00 PM in both places because of heat and tour bus crowds. Fanny pack with at least a liter of water. Hard core hiking boots for scaling edifices and boondocking jungle trails. Wide brim hat and good dark glasses. Official guide tour is worth the $

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 28, 2002, 6:22 AM

Post #5 of 17 (11839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eidell] Chichén Itzá or Palenque??????

Can't Post |
You are correct! My apologies...it WAS Tulum. God what a moron I am! I was visiting Cancun. The other place we went to was a lagoon with fresh and salt water, and I can't recall the name of that either.

jacks2

Nov 28, 2002, 12:30 PM

Post #6 of 17 (11808 views)

Shortcut

Possibly Yal Ku Lagoon?

Can't Post |
At Yal Ku, just a bit north of Akumal, you'll experience the combination of fresh and salt waters. And I disagree with David as to the need for hiking boots while visiting the ruins. I've wandered all over Chichen, Uxmal, Coba, Tulum, Mayapan, you name it, with nothing more than sandals. For me, boots do nothing other than add weight and bulk to your luggage. But then, that's why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 28, 2002, 2:03 PM

Post #7 of 17 (11783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jacks2] Possibly Yal Ku Lagoon?

Can't Post |
Xel-Ha was the place I was referring to and I wore sandals at Tulum as well. When I was there, it was well groomed so boots weren't needed but I'm not sure how it is now. Xel-Ha was a wonderful opportunity to go snorkling in some cloudy, salt and fresh water.

Sherrill

Nov 28, 2002, 3:51 PM

Post #8 of 17 (11784 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Ok, we ate too much turkey! Both sites are wonderful. I live in the Yucatan. Visited Chichen again last year. Palenque 4 years ago. My feelings re Chichen is that it is so overwhelmed by tour buses from Cancun that you just don't get a chance to enjoy it. I was trying to paint at the site and was interrupted by too many people. Felt that Palenque was headed that way last time I was there. One thing to consider is the terrain. Chichen flat and always hot. Palenque has soft rolling hills with a jungle atomosphere and wonderful grounds to explore with a stream-more bird life. I loved climbing down the narrow, claustrophoic, slippery stairway to Lord Pakal's tomb-my spelling is probably wrong. However, the remains are in DF. The reliefs in Palenque surpass Chichen as does the landscape. Tulum has turned into almost a disneyesque affair. The beach there is lovely but if you really are into the culture I would go for Palenque. As with any of these sites, get there early in the morning. All the tour buses seem to arrive around eleven. Hiking boots are good if you really want to explore surrounding areas.

Pernel

Nov 28, 2002, 9:10 PM

Post #9 of 17 (11762 views)

Shortcut

Palenque Simple !@@!

Can't Post |
Wow.... just 12 hrs to absorb Mayan/Aztec culture..... Hmmmm, well then it MUST be Palenque for 6hrs. of mad scrambling and then race up the hill to Teotehaucan, and climb the two pyramids Sun/Moon in 6hrs. That should do pretty well for a half day history lesson. !@@!

Pernel S Thyseldew
www.digthatcrazyfarout.com

(This post was edited by Pernel on Nov 28, 2002, 9:16 PM)
Attachments: Jumping@Teo.jpg (12.5 KB)

dennis

Nov 29, 2002, 7:01 PM

Post #10 of 17 (11713 views)

Shortcut

thanks to all, Palenque it is!

Can't Post |
I will be staying in Tuxtla Gutierrez a couple of days so I think it will be Palenque. I did not add that info earlier so as to not influence the input from each of you. I would gladly make the effort to the Cancun area to see a better site, but as you can tell, I will see the better and not have to drive so far.

I will no doubt go the route to San Cristobal de las Casas, overnight, then on to Palenque.

I welcome any other input on the subject.

Oh, one more thought, I wasn't trying to absorb Mexican Culture in 12 hours. But I wanted to 'get a taste' of Yucatan. I will go back another time for a lingering look. AND, I will be 10 days before that in Mexico City, etc. to take in some of the other Ruins.

Thanks, again, and please contribute some more. Dennis

arbon

Nov 29, 2002, 7:13 PM

Post #11 of 17 (11708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dennis] thanks to all, Palenque it is!

Can't Post |
"I will no doubt go the route to San Cristobal de las Casas, overnight, then on to Palenque."

In between San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque is Agua Azul,about 1/2 mile from highway.

Question..do you mean 12 hours from san Cris to Palenque & back.or over night near the ruin site.?

Ed and Fran

Nov 29, 2002, 7:43 PM

Post #12 of 17 (11711 views)

Shortcut

Dennis:

I will no doubt go the route to San Cristobal de las Casas, overnight, then on to Palenque.

I welcome any other input on the subject

If you haven't already picked a hotel in san Cristobal, I might recommend 'Na Balam' (think the spelling is correct). It's the old house/now museum of Franz and Trudy Bloom who lived there a number of years. They were anthropologists / arqueologists who did a lot of research on the area and did a lot for the study/support of the Lacandon Indians. Their house is still used a a study center for the Lacandon. Has about 12 rooms that they run as a hotel, each one is unique. Dinner (you have to tell them during the afternoon if you plan on eating) is served family style at one huge table in the dining room, so you get to mingle with whoever else is staying there.

Enjoy the trip. FWIW my vote also went to Palenque.

Sherrill

Nov 30, 2002, 7:51 AM

Post #13 of 17 (11692 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You might enjoy using some of the time you alloted to TuxG in San Cristobol. TuxG is modern; San C is time travel to another era. Toughest part of it is the poverty. Get your small change ready for lots of outstretched arms. The suggestion to stay at Na'Balam is a good one. At this time of the year, it is chilly at night; pleasant during the day. If you are driving and not going by bus, try to leave as early as you can so you don't end up driving in the dark. The approach to San C. is twisty. I have really enjoyed visiting there. Think I am ready for another trip!

dennis

Nov 30, 2002, 9:40 AM

Post #14 of 17 (11684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] thanks to all, Palenque it is!

Can't Post |
I will definitely 'overnight' near the ruins. I will stay one night in San Cris, and at least one night near the ruins. I am considering two nights near the ruins and spend more time exploring/discovering Palenque.

Any suggestions on hotels near the ruins:

Dennis

Ed and Fran

Dec 1, 2002, 10:15 AM

Post #15 of 17 (11676 views)

Shortcut

Our favorite hotel near the Palenque ruins is the Chan Kah. It's actually laid out like a group of small cabins set down in the midst of the forest. Very tranquil. No tv, no phones in the rooms (don't think you'll miss them). I thought the rooms were nice and spacious. They have a decent restaurant, nothing of high cuisine, but good food. Great coffee. Really nice pool, although you probably won't have time for that.

There's another Chan Kah in the town of Palenque. Same owners, I think. We've stayed there also. Also a good hotel, a bit cheaper and smaller, right on the main plaza.

One other item in the area. If you're taking the time to stop at Agua Azul, you might also consider detouring to see the waterfall at Misol Ha.

Bubba

Jun 29, 2005, 3:29 PM

Post #16 of 17 (11544 views)

Shortcut

On tne way from San Cristobal to Palenque stop by near Ocosingo to visit the Tonina ruins. It is a good oportunity to visit ruins in a peaceful setting while excavating work is still in progress. You can stay at Rancho Esmeralda which is a 15 minutes walk from the ruins and rents cabins. It is a working macademia ranch away from the maddening crowds.

sfmacaws

Jun 29, 2005, 4:03 PM

Post #17 of 17 (11542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] thanks to all, Palenque it is!

Are you sure it is still open? I believe that Rancho Esmeralda is the place that was taken by the Zapatistas. The owners lost everything and were lucky to get themselves out. An ugly story that gives another side to the Zapatista movement.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4