Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

S & C

Apr 4, 2013, 11:46 AM

Post #301 of 443 (26488 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I have posted a few times about my current experience with INM in Playa del Carmen, Q Roo.
What a place to do business!!!
Short story, Present papers for permenant status 30 days before papers expire.
Told I couldn't go permanent because I was just finishing the 1st year of my SECOND FM3. (told old years don't count).
I apply for residente temporal but a 3 year version so I wouldn't have to do this BS every time.
30 days later, still nothing so we drive 40 miles to check it out. Were then told it has been taking a month and a half. She also said they do it all here at the office so it doesn't have to goto Mexico city.
12 days later I see where the internet tells us to appear. We went there yeterday, waited in line for 40 minutes and were told OK we will set up an appointment for tomorrow at 9:30. (great that means I drove 80 miles round trip to be told to come back tomorrow). Why not allow for a phone call or email to set up the appointment?
Today we go in and sign some papers and get fingerprinted and he says ok that's it, Now it goes to mexico city and will be back in maybe 3 weeks or so.
To check, they want you to come to the office to see if your name is posted on the bulletin board. Again 80 miles round trip!
I am to leave the country in 2 weeks so either I change airlines and medical stuff in the US, or go through what ever they want me to go thru to get permission to leave.
I left the office not really understanding what I will need to do but I think I have to give them a letter allowing my wife to pick up my card whenever they come in, which is hopefully before she has to leave Mexico. something was also mentioned about needing my passport, photos and a payment oto a bank to get my permission to leave letter. Plus I would have to apply for it and then return in 2 days to pick it up.
This whole process is so rediculously inefficient, that it makes no sense.
I will have made 6 or 7 trips over 2 months to get the visa.
Is it only this way in Playa del Carmen or is it just made difficult for those that try doing it on their own rather than hire an attorney to do it?
Man am I disgusted with it all...
Stan

Judy in Ags

Apr 6, 2013, 10:07 PM

Post #302 of 443 (26296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I was wondering if anyone is experiencing long delays in getting your visa processed? Ours expired on March 17th. We began the "renewal" process on February 19 (Of course we got cut short a couple days in February.)

We didn't see any way that we could qualify financially for the permanent residence visa, but when we applied to renew our temporary residence visa, we were told that not only we did qualify, but that we must apply for permanent residence. (We moved here in March, 2003 and have had the "FM3" status continuously--proper renewal or "rebeginning" each year as mandated.)

We had just bought a 2009 VW Routan minivan in January since by all indications we wouldn't qualify for permanent residence. Once we were in the process of applying for the permanent residence, we knew we couldn't keep that car (after exploring every possibility we could find), so we returned it to the U.S. (got our $400+ back from Banjercito) and left if with John's brother to sell. Fortunately a good friend loaned us a car as our pickup is also illegal now that we don't have the temporary resident visa. Now we're looking for a good fit for us in a Mexican car. We've been pleased in our shopping to find that many more low-mileage cars are available here than in the U.S. and prices are comparable or better.

It's all been a wild experience (we did get our Mexican drivers licenses) while jumping through all the other hoops. :)

johanson

Apr 7, 2013, 8:34 AM

Post #303 of 443 (26246 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I applied for my Permanente in Dec and got it in March. I'm still driving my Texas plated 2001 Ford because as of now there are no laws written that say it is illegal to do so.

AlanMexicali

Apr 7, 2013, 8:49 AM

Post #304 of 443 (26242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I applied for my Permanente in Dec and got it in March. I'm still driving my Texas plated 2001 Ford because as of now there are no laws written that say it is illegal to do so.

But did you go to ADUANA with your new immigration status yet and if you did what did they say? There are conflicting stories from different ADUANA officials in various areas. Some say get a secure return and get your vehicle to the border ASAP. Alan

Judy in Ags

Apr 7, 2013, 11:33 AM

Post #305 of 443 (26206 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, we went to the Aduana here in Aguascalientes. (Incidentally, it used to be located just a couple miles from our house. Now, they have a brand new large facilities way at the opposite end of the city--and way out in the "boonies".) They were very kind, and about as frustrated as we were at the lack of communication between customs and immigration here, but there was no doubt that we could not legally retain a foreign vehicle here while holding a permanent resident visa.

johanson

Apr 7, 2013, 1:09 PM

Post #306 of 443 (26191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Here, lakeside, we are told that there are no laws that apply to the new terminology. Therefore until the new law does, you are not in violation of anything. And that once the law changes they state that the changes must be completed at some future date, or after so many days, or.

Me, I'm just following the advice of my facilitator and am sitting back relaxing and based upon what the new laws will be, I will react at that time. Oh my car is 13 years old and it doesn't really matter what the new rules will be. The value of my car is most likely less than the cost of nationalizing my highly dented Ford Explorer Sport.

jackak10

Apr 7, 2013, 1:16 PM

Post #307 of 443 (26187 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To
Here, lakeside, we are told that there are no laws that apply to the new terminology. Therefore until the new law does, you are not in violation of anything. And that once the law changes they state that the changes must be completed at some future date, or after so many days, or.

Me, I'm just following the advice of my facilitator and am sitting back relaxing and based upon what the new laws will be, I will react at that time. Oh my car is 13 years old and it doesn't really matter what the new rules will be. The value of my car is most likely less than the cost of nationalizing my highly dented Ford Explorer Sport.

I assume your facilitator is an attorney with a lot of knowledge along these lines. Our feeling around here is, your TIP is tied to your FM3 and if you don't have an FM3 anymore the car is not tied to anything. Therefore, illegal.

I would love to know different. I've been driving my little car around here for four years and would love to continue, but like your car it's older and not worth a trip to the border, etc.

johanson

Apr 7, 2013, 3:07 PM

Post #308 of 443 (26167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I brought the car in Texas in the fall of 2000 and immediately brought it into Mexico on a 3 year old FM 3. Later I got an FM-2 which I canceled a few years later and have had several FM 3s Until I got my latest Residente Permanente.

The car was linked with my first FM 3 and the passport that I had in 2000 and has not been out of the country since. I don't even know what a TIP is.

When I brought my car in it was tied to a now expired credit card. I never was charged a fee.

And yes several attorneys have recommended the same on another forum here along the shores of Lake Chapala

YucaLandia

Apr 7, 2013, 10:08 PM

Post #309 of 443 (26112 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The point is moot for Johanson's car: Since he did not formally notify Aduana/Banjercito in writing that his TIP information had to be updated for the cancellation of the first FM3, nor did he notify Aduana/Banjercito that he changed status from FM3 to FM2, the car has been illegal since those events....

Too funny ~ as ignorance really can be bliss!

Sleep well guys,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

johanson

Apr 8, 2013, 1:26 PM

Post #310 of 443 (26063 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Maybe we are all ignorant here. But I know of very few people lakeside who came with their cars more than five years ago who annually update their cars with immigration unless they leave and return to the Mexico. In fact our attorneys tell us to carry article 106 with us which says that as long is our immigration status (FM-2 or 3) is up to date, that we are legal, even if it's our second third or 4th new FM-2 or 3). Now many folks lakeside update their US plates every year, but many have not since they brought their cars in permanently be it 5, 10, or 15 years ago.

Me, I need a new or newer car anyway. So I will buy one locally within the year even if we are not required to get Mexican plated cars now that we are Permanentes.

Am I an expert at interpreting the rules? NO. I shout :) I simply follow what the experts here along the shores of Lake Chapala tell us. And I have had no trouble.

Aaron+

Apr 8, 2013, 1:49 PM

Post #311 of 443 (26056 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
With respect to you and others happily driving an illegal vehicle in Mexico, am happy for you and the others if you have not run into fines or had your car confiscated. And further, happily your plans contemplate purchase of a Mexican state-plated vehicle, and your deposit was linked to an expired credit card.

Your attorneys down there -- have they really talked to Aduana officials or Benjercito regarding temporary import permits (TIPs) for cars etc. and the need, since a few years ago, to ask for annual extensions based on your current non-permanent immigration status?

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Apr 8, 2013, 1:50 PM)

johanson

Apr 8, 2013, 3:02 PM

Post #312 of 443 (26039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I can not speak for the attorneys who have posted on line or the attorney I spoke to. I only know that many many folks who came here in the 1990s and 2000s who followed the laws when they entered the country and who have not taken their cars back over the border, had no idea they had to register with whomever each year. We were simply told that if we did leave the country with our cars, that we should report same to the Mexican Government as we left and have the import sticker removed from our cars and to reverse the process when we re-entered. Oh and never was any money charged to the credit card even after 5 or more years.

Apparently there is a new procedure whereby cars brought in these days include a large deposit. I was told we were "Grandfather claused in" what ever that means and therefore did not have to start registering our cars every year. There are sure a lot of folks who aren't registering their older US/CA plated cars here, because no one ever told us we had to.

What we believe is that soon the laws will change to include the new legal term Residente Permanente. And when it does we will have to take the appropriate action. There are even rumors suggesting that we will be grandfathered in and will not have to either get rid of our foreign plated cars or nationalize them.

My attorney, simply said, relax, sit back and wait for the laws to change or as you plan to do, go ahead and get the Mexican plated car you were planning to get anyway.

YucaLandia

Apr 8, 2013, 8:15 PM

Post #313 of 443 (25998 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey Pete,
There are old-timers who have temporary import permits from before June 2010, who may not have to notify Aduana annually**, but they are still required to notify Aduana of changes in INM permit status, and they must also not allow their INM permits to lapse. These 2 specific legal issues are what I wrote about in your case, that make your Aduana permit invalid.

**For old-timers with old TIPs who may want to permanently import their cars, without going to a border, may find that their Aduana office (like Progreso) rejects any future applications for permanently importing inside Mexico, because they cannot prove that they kept their TIP permit continuously valid. If you have even just a 2012 annual renewal letter, Aduana considers that single letter as sufficient proof of maintaining a valid permit. This alone makes getting the free letter worthwhile for many prudent folk.

Continue having a GREAT time driving your car!
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Septiembre

Apr 10, 2013, 11:12 AM

Post #314 of 443 (25878 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Obviously, Pete, your approach would be the right one and will be if this business in Mazatlan is stopped and doesn't spread to other Aduana offices.

However, what if it does? I'm in the process of getting a Permanente so I can import my car. There will be about a month window between the time I get the Permanente, needed for the import, and when I get the Pedimento. Am I going to have to hide my car from these aduana jokers?

These people need to get their act together.

YucaLandia

Apr 10, 2013, 1:48 PM

Post #315 of 443 (25842 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Septiembre] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Obviously, Pete, your approach would be the right one and will be if this business in Mazatlan is stopped and doesn't spread to other Aduana offices.

However, what if it does? I'm in the process of getting a Permanente so I can import my car. There will be about a month window between the time I get the Permanente, needed for the import, and when I get the Pedimento. Am I going to have to hide my car from these aduana jokers?

These people need to get their act together.

Why can't you import your car now?

Various customs brokers are happy to legally permanently import cars for No Inmigrante (FM2) and Inmigrante (FM3) permit holders. Many non-border customs brokers insist that they only handle permanent imports for people with No Inmigrante (FM2) and Inmigrante (FM3) and with still valid TIPs.

Do I misunderstand?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Septiembre

Apr 10, 2013, 3:35 PM

Post #316 of 443 (25817 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Steve, I am going to have to import this car under the Tio Corp Amparo deal with the importer in Juarez because it is a "J" car and hence not importable under the usual rules. He is requiring a Permanente or FM2. I don't have the latter, I have an FM3 which won't work for this particular deal.

johanson

Apr 10, 2013, 3:42 PM

Post #317 of 443 (25816 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
In my case I continue looking for a new car. Sadly I just learned that the 2013 RAV4 doesn't come with a 4 wheel drive option, in Mexico. I just learned on line that the Honda CR-V does, but only with the luxury model. And I do need 4 wheel Drive, where I live.

One local attorney for a charge of $300 pesos will register (has registered) some of our cars with the local Guadalajara (near airport) aduana office. Why? So that when a law is passed that speaks about Permanente status, we will know what we need to do. (Apparently we are Permanentes, not Inmigrantes. And apparently there is a difference) In my case, when it's time to get rid of my low value US car, I will probably simply give it to Aduana, an option I understand that I have.

YucaLandia

Apr 10, 2013, 6:07 PM

Post #318 of 443 (25791 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
In my case I continue looking for a new car. Sadly I just learned that the 2013 RAV4 doesn't come with a 4 wheel drive option, in Mexico. I just learned on line that the Honda CR-V does, but only with the luxury model. And I do need 4 wheel Drive, where I live.

One local attorney for a charge of $300 pesos will register (has registered) some of our cars with the local Guadalajara (near airport) aduana office. Why? So that when a law is passed that speaks about Permanente status, we will know what we need to do. (Apparently we are Permanentes, not Inmigrantes. And apparently there is a difference) In my case, when it's time to get rid of my low value US car, I will probably simply give it to Aduana, an option I understand that I have.

Apparently we are Permanentes, not Inmigrantes. And apparently there is a difference
The difference has been spelled our since May 2011, as Ric Hoffman fondly points to the Transitorios.

when it's time to get rid of my low value US car, I will probably simply give it to Aduana, an option I understand that I have.
This program exists on paper, but possibly not at all in reality. Our local Aduana Progreso office has not been accepting donated vehicles.

Aduana officials are accepting certified letters from a Notario, having a mecanico or dehuesodero sign and certify that the vehicle is junk/scrap metal (chatarra), that it does not work (no sirve), and that it will never be driven again (nunca será conducido(?).

As a result of Aduana's actual practices, one friend of ours just had his functioning motor-home/converted-school-bus cut up for scrap and parted-out, and he had his letter accepted by Aduana, and they cleared his permit.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

agora-phobic

Apr 23, 2013, 1:09 PM

Post #319 of 443 (25333 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Just got fingerprinted and paid the $3,8** peso bill for my Residente Permanente permit this morning in Merida. INM said that the INM web-site notification process is not working well. They took my phone number and said they will call and also send me an email in 10 - 15 days when the RP card is ready.

skier14

Apr 23, 2013, 2:08 PM

Post #320 of 443 (25328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [agora-phobic] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
INM GUADALAJARA TOOK ALL DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, AND FINGERPRINTS ON APRIL 15th. TOLD ME TO CALL THEM IN 20 DAYS. I APPLIED FOR PERMISO A SALIR Y REGRESAR YESTERDAY AS I HAVE A FLIGHT TO LAX TOMORROW. WHEN I RETURNED TODAY TO PICK UP PERMISO I WAS INFORMED MY "GREEN CARD" WAS READY, SO NOT NECESSARY THE PERMISO. 8 DAYS. MY 320 PESOS WAS NOT RETURNED.

mcm

Apr 23, 2013, 3:20 PM

Post #321 of 443 (25312 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
My appointment for fingerprinting/photos/payment for Residente Permanente at the Mérida office was April 3. I was told to expect a phone call or e-mail that the card is ready, in 10-15 days. No phone call or e-mail, so yesterday (April 22) I went to the office to check, and was able to pick up the card. I wasn't surprised, or even annoyed -- this is just a ''heads up'' that it would probably be worth going in in person if you haven't heard in 15 days. If you DO go in person, go between 12-1, which is when the office schedules the delivery of cards (in the Mérida office -- I'm sure that it is different in every office).

The whole process from application on February 23 to card pick up April 23... two months. But, I'm very happily looking forward to next year, WHEN I WON'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO MIGRACION!! I did have to sit in the waiting room about an hour until I was called for delivery of the card, but that was probably in part a function of having gone in on a Monday.

(This post was edited by mcm on Apr 23, 2013, 3:42 PM)

La Isla

Apr 23, 2013, 3:26 PM

Post #322 of 443 (25312 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Just got fingerprinted and paid the $3,8** peso bill for my Residente Permanente permit this morning in Merida. INM said that the INM web-site notification process is not working well. They took my phone number and said they will call and also send me an email in 10 - 15 days when the RP card is ready.

Yesterday I took care of Step #1 of the application process (paperwork and the payment of $1000 for a "cambio de condición de estancia") in Mexico City. I was asked to write my phone number and email on the basic application form, but I'm not really expecting a call and/or an email to let me know when it's time to come in for Step # 2. I hope they do it for you in Mérida!

AlanMexicali

Apr 24, 2013, 12:31 PM

Post #323 of 443 (25250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yesterday I took care of Step #1 of the application process (paperwork and the payment of $1000 for a "cambio de condición de estancia") in Mexico City. I was asked to write my phone number and email on the basic application form, but I'm not really expecting a call and/or an email to let me know when it's time to come in for Step # 2. I hope they do it for you in Mérida!

Back in January the SEGOB INM office here gave me a phone number with 3 extensions to call for updates to see if my card was there. The INM wedsite did not update anything past they sent the application to DF.

They never asked for my phone #. When I did another tramite again last month to recieve a Permiso para Trabajar I called and they had the updated new card there for who knows how long but it took only 3 weeks [maybe less] to do everything this time, not the 8 weeks as before in Nov. We do not have as many foreigners here as I presume DF does. Good luck on getting it through quickly. Alan

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Apr 24, 2013, 12:33 PM)

La Isla

Apr 24, 2013, 12:52 PM

Post #324 of 443 (25243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Thanks, Alan. A friend of mine here in the DF applied for the same change as me and after 3 months is still waiting. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Irishincolumbus

May 12, 2013, 8:01 PM

Post #325 of 443 (24788 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
On May 10 Alanmexicali posted this on anothere thread that has been closed :

Steve.

As a first timer you can apply inside Mexico under Vinculo Familiar with no requirements to show financial solvency, with a FMM tourist card however, even though the SEGOB INM website states you can apply for Residente Permanente when your spouse is a Mexican National and your marriage is registered at the local registrar civil they have only been giving spouses in this situation the option of getting a Residente Temporal for 2 years first and then allowing a tramite to Residente Permanente no matter how long you have been married. My experience and a few others. Alan

I was in INM Queretaro last Monday , May 6 and can confirm Alan is 100 % correct . They said Residente Permanente could not be done and told me to apply for the Vinculo Familiar Residente Temporal and 2 year route to Permanente.
We went back Tuesday with all the paper work which was accepted , they did not want to see any bank info from me but did tell my wife to sign and vouch for me instead.
It looks like the only way to get Permanente through financial independence to to apply to a Consulate before coming into Mexico.

Cheers , James
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4