Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

TigerTonio

Apr 6, 2013, 10:01 AM

Post #1 of 13 (8587 views)

Shortcut

Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

Can't Post | Private Reply
I don't post about restaurants in this city because there are just too many of them to mention, big and small, expensive and affordable. But yesterday, a family member arrived here from Los Angeles and we took him to Contramar in Colonia Roma (Norte). My 3rd visit to this fun, fastastic and fabulous seafood restaurant. Prices are a little steep, people-watching is top-notch. All that aside, if for nothing else, come and taste the Tostadas de Atun. Out-of-this-world-delicious! Riquisimasss! I'm still coming down from my food orgasm. Those tostadas really are THAT good.

(This post was edited by TigerTonio on Apr 6, 2013, 10:02 AM)

La Isla

Apr 6, 2013, 11:24 AM

Post #2 of 13 (8568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

TT, could you provide an address for Contramar, and a general idea of how steep is "a little steep"?

TigerTonio

Apr 6, 2013, 11:44 AM

Post #3 of 13 (8561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

You can eat well here for around $35 USD, no appetizer or alcohol. Pre-meal table bread is awesome - some kind of whole grain and sour dough varieties. Crust is spot-on. Best I've had outside of San Francisco. Probably best sour dough in Mexico! For dessert, go for the nutella flan! YUM!

Durango 200, Colonia Roma
Reservations: 5555149217
Web: www.contramar.com.mx

They're on Tripadvisorhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/..._and_Gulf_Coast.html.

La Isla

Apr 6, 2013, 12:01 PM

Post #4 of 13 (8555 views)

Shortcut

It sounds delicious but too pricey for me. Today I´m going out to eat at a much more modestly-priced fish restaurant called Peces. I'll post post-prandial comments later.

TigerTonio

Apr 6, 2013, 12:09 PM

Post #5 of 13 (8552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

Great! Looking forward to reading about it! =D

La Isla

Apr 6, 2013, 7:01 PM

Post #6 of 13 (8534 views)

Shortcut

I can't provide a review of the meal I had at Peces because when my friend and I got there, it was closed So we walked over to the area near the Lumiere movie theater where we found a nice seafood place and had a great meal. Nothing classy, just good food at very reasonable prices.

Anonimo

Apr 7, 2013, 6:23 AM

Post #7 of 13 (8513 views)

Shortcut

Mexico City friends took us to Contramar in 2004. We haven't been back. I was already out of sorts (my problem) but the rapid fire Spanish of the young waiter was incomprehensible to me, although our friends helped interpret. I couldn't get my mind around the menu. I ended up with a scallops with tapenade appetizer and a side order of rice. Worse, the extreme noise level of the warehouse style dining room was very unpleasant. Overall, it was an unsatisfactory experience. I agree that the prices are steep, but we weren't paying, yet I was inhibited in my selections by the costs. (Again, my problem.)

Since then, we have been to other, less trendy or less famous seafood restaurants in Mexico City, most recently (day before yesterday) Pablo El Erizo, on Fernando Montes de Oca # 6, Colonia Condesa. It's a low key, casual place with a creative approach to seafood, inspired by the chef's experiences in Baja California. While it wasn't cheap, the dishes were attractively presented and were delicious. In fact, we started with Tostaditas de Atún Sellado, which were delightful; then Camarones a la Plancha, seasoned with a savory sauce. Our main courses were good but not as good as the appetizers. The Pulpo a la Parilla was o.k. but nothing special. Filete de Atún en Costra de Pistache was meaty and satisfying. It was enough to share. I may post photos or links to photos later.

Another place we have enjoyed several times, although it's not in the same artistic class as Pablo El Erizo, is Fonda La Veracruzana, Avenida Medellín 198, Colonia Roma Norte. Read review at http://tinyurl.com/8xtw7th.

Another marisquería of worth is Ostionería La Morenita, within the Mercado Medellín, Colonia Roma Sur. I think the soups are too salty but the Sierra Asada is delicious.

Of course, tastes and opinions will vary. And it's apparent that much depends on one's mood to begin with.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Apr 7, 2013, 10:05 AM

Post #8 of 13 (8486 views)

Shortcut

Like TigerTonio, I love Contramar. It's not the sort of restaurant we can regularly afford, but man oh man, the food! My favorite is the pescado a la talla with two sauces (red and green).

Last week I took a tour group to Coyoacán, where we ate at Marisquería El Pulpo outside the Mercado de Coyoacán. We ordered several appetizers and several main dishes. Some dishes good and some were so-so, but the huachinango dorado was perfect. I might have to go back this week.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Apr 7, 2013, 10:38 AM

Post #9 of 13 (8486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

In Reply To
Like TigerTonio, I love Contramar. It's not the sort of restaurant we can regularly afford, but man oh man, the food! My favorite is the pescado a la talla with two sauces (red and green).

Believe me, I can't regularly afford this place either! But there are soooo many "mariscos" restaurants here in The City to choose from. There are six within a two-block vicinity of my residence in La Condesa. But nothing...absolutely nothing beats the tostadas de atun at Contramar. Again, if nothing else, order these with a refreso and it won't kill your pocketbook. But it certainly will make your taste buds happy! =D

(This post was edited by TigerTonio on Apr 7, 2013, 10:40 AM)

rayitodeluna

May 6, 2013, 7:29 AM

Post #10 of 13 (8170 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
You can eat well here for around $35 USD, no appetizer or alcohol. Pre-meal table bread is awesome - some kind of whole grain and sour dough varieties. Crust is spot-on. Best I've had outside of San Francisco. Probably best sour dough in Mexico! For dessert, go for the nutella flan! YUM!

Durango 200, Colonia Roma
Reservations: 5555149217
Web: www.contramar.com.mx

They're on Tripadvisorhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/..._and_Gulf_Coast.html.

You had me at sourdough. Then you knocked me overwith the words "nutella" and "flan" in the same sentence.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

TigerTonio

May 6, 2013, 4:01 PM

Post #11 of 13 (8134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

In Reply To
rayitodeluna said: You had me at sourdough. Then you knocked me overwith the words "nutella" and "flan" in the same sentence.

Ha! But I'm a chocoholic and couldn't resist. Nutella sounds crazy but it really was delicious. They have traditional along with flavored flans. =D

rayitodeluna

May 6, 2013, 5:58 PM

Post #12 of 13 (8113 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
rayitodeluna said: You had me at sourdough. Then you knocked me overwith the words "nutella" and "flan" in the same sentence.

Ha! But I'm a chocoholic and couldn't resist. Nutella sounds crazy but it really was delicious. They have traditional along with flavored flans. =D

Well, by knocked over I also meant swept me off my feet, took my breath away, ie.....

Count me in. Nutella is pretty much one of my quick and easy chocolate fixes. La Cocina de Leslie (blog) just had a recipe super easy -Nutella Yogurt Popsicles. I have them on my must try ASAP list.

I havent tried the nutella yet, pumpkin flan is my favorite so far :)

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

esperanza

May 6, 2013, 10:03 PM

Post #13 of 13 (8089 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Contramar - Seafood Lovers Rejoice!

Have you tried this one? http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...and-orange-flan.html

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4